Start by marking “Siegfried Sassoon: A Life” as Want to Read:
Siegfried Sassoon: A Life

Siegfried Sassoon: A Life

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Siegfried Sassoon was born in 1886 in Kent, and began writing verses as a boy. While a brave young officer, he confronted the terrible realities of the First World War on the battlefield, in verse, and, finally, by announcing his opposition to the war in 1917, showing that physical courage could exist alongside humanity and sensibility.

In 1918, Sassoon found himself one of
Published December 13th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Siegfried Sassoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siegfried Sassoon

Yara
When we think of Siegfried Sassoon, we think of World War One – his brutally realistic poems about the trenches, his anger, how he narrowly escaped death so many times. The war was the defining of Sassoon’s life and his career as a writer… But it lasted only four years and was over when he was only thirty-two. In this 639-page biography, the war ends around the 200th page. Then what? This was a question that plagued Sassoon all his life – and one his biographer, Max Egremont, struggles with as w ...more
LOL_BOOKS
ASIDE FROM THE SISTERS, DO YOU HAVE RECS THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS? DOES AMONG THE BOHEMIANS COVER IT TOO?

THE CRAZY YEARS BY WILLIAM WOSER LOOKS AT THE PARIS SCENE, BOBBED HAIR AND BATHTUB GIN AT THE LOMERICANS, AND BRIGHT YOUNG PEOPLE BY D J TAYLOR THE BRITISH. SIEGFRIED SASSOON SPENT THE TWENTIES BANGING STEPHEN TENNANT, THE BRIGHTEST OF THE LONDON CAMP BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS, AND A RECENT BIOGRAPHY ON SASSOON GIVES SOME INTERESTING DETAILS ABOUT THE SCENE.
Oliver
Aug 28, 2014 Oliver rated it liked it
Stopped reading this one after about 270 pages. Other than a really good exposition of Sassoon's war experiences and poetry, the rest is a slow slog, needing much more knowledge of his poetry than I have. Also, the social circle of homosexuals gradually becomes confusing (I had to keep going to the index in order to reacquaint myself with named personages).
Christine Parker
Apr 10, 2016 Christine Parker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge, read-2016
I would have given it 6 stars if I could. I have read 2 other SS biographies and they were both 5 star but this has something extra, a poignancy and a real sense of feeling for the subject.
OK it is a little light on the 'war' but that stuff is available in plenty elsewhere and I think sympathetic to the man.
Leon Perlman
Dec 25, 2014 Leon Perlman rated it really liked it
Goodreads rating 77
Matt Bucher
so far so good
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Elina
Elina marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Atar Hadari
Atar Hadari rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Alexandra Roach
Alexandra Roach is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Eljaj
Eljaj marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Ren
Ren marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Bryoniadioica
Bryoniadioica rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Gabriel Byrne-Claw
Gabriel Byrne-Claw rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Jonathan Jarocki
Jonathan Jarocki marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
ChairmanPOW!
ChairmanPOW! rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
D Moore
D Moore rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2015
MaryAnn
MaryAnn rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Philip Smith-keary
Philip Smith-keary rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Comus
Comus added it
Jun 09, 2015
Ian Gee
Ian Gee rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015