Start by marking “Year's Best SF 7” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 7

Year's Best SF 7 (Year's Best SF #7)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Once again, the year's finest flights of speculative imagination are gathered in one extraordinary volume, compiled by acclaimed editor and anthologist David G. Hartwell. From some of the most renowned visionaries of contemporary SF -- as well as new writers who are already making an indelible mark -- comes an all-new compendium of unparalleled tales of the possible that w ...more
Published June 4th 2002 by Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 7

Owen Thaxton
Jul 28, 2015 Owen Thaxton rated it it was amazing
I liked teh steampunk story about dog-men romancing courtier women and a massive Queen of England stuffed to the guts in a maze of Buckhingham Palace. I liked the FAR-futurist story in which identity is fluid and rather than coinage, people trade not in compliments, but critiques. I liked teh story about teh ice worms creating a massive planet-sized cerebral network.

Those are teh three stories which I remember reading, something, like, three, four years ago? They're all quite stimulating and coo
Andrew
The quality of short stories in this collection ranged from barely passable to excellent. That there were any mediocre stories at all was a big disappointment. Too many of them felt like unoriginal knock-offs of well known stories.

Here are my ratings for each story:

Computer Virus - 3 stars - Pretty neat, well written, although the ending was a bit of a let down.

Charlie's Angels - 3 stars - Maybe more if you like the faux-film noir private eye stuff.

The Measure of all things - 4.5 stars - Themes
Angel S
Dec 08, 2008 Angel S rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Some of the stories I really liked from this book, and so I should read more from these authors:
Computer Virus by Nancy Kress (AI hostage situation)
Charlie's Angels by Terry Bisson (hard-boiled supernatural)
The Measure of All Things by Richard Chwedyk (biopet saurs)
Creative Destruction by Edward Lerner (murder mystery)
The Dog Said Bow-Wow by Michael Swanwick (con pulled on British royalty by a man and a talking dog)
Undone by James Patrick Kelly (woman that can travel through time)

These are the
Pippa
Oct 11, 2014 Pippa rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Some very good stories - two by my favourite, Michael Swanwick. Some are too American for an English reader, and I must admit I'd had enough when I was two thirds of the way through the book. This is still a very good selection.
Joseph
Nov 16, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
Re-readable favorites:"Computer Virus"/ Nancy Kress, "Charlies' Angels"/Terry Bison, "the Measure of All Things"/Richard Chwedyk, "Resurrection"/David Morell, "the Dog Said Bow-Wow"/Michael Swanwick, "The Building"/Ursula K. Le Guin, "Gray Earth"/Stephen Baxter, "The Go-Between"/Lisa Goldstein, "Anomalies"/Gregory Benford, "glacial"/Alistair Reynolds, "Undone"/James Patrick Kelly.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1340425.html[return][return]this was a year when I think the shortlists were at least equal to if not better than Hartwell's selection - there are only two overlaps, Michael Swanwick's 'The Dog Said Bow-Wow' and James Patrick Kelly's 'Undone'. Other stories I liked from Hartwell's selection included Richard Chwedyk's 'The Measure of All Things' (to which the Nebula-winning 'Bronte's Egg' is a sequel) and Ursula Le Guin's 'The Building'.
Rift Vegan
Mar 21, 2010 Rift Vegan rated it really liked it
"The Measure of All Things" by Richard Chwedyk
is worth the price of the entire book! His short story series, starting with "The Measure of All Things", about pet saurs, is moving and delightful and sad beyond sad... give me more Axel "The Sun is a STAR!"!!!
Chwedyk

Yeah, okay. There were other good stories in this collection. :)
Cynthisa
Feb 17, 2013 Cynthisa rated it it was ok
From my old book log: "Not a huge short story fan, but it was ok."
bluetyson
Year's best SF 7 / edited by David G. Hartwell (2002)
Mark Catalfano
Mark Catalfano marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Kyle Thompson
Kyle Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Simón Gómez
Simón Gómez marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Rosie Soma
Rosie Soma marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Sarma Tangirala
Sarma Tangirala marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Joe Robertson
Joe Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 23, 2015
Gbraden
Gbraden marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Jacque Holst
Jacque Holst rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Deidre
Deidre rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
David Ridgway
David Ridgway rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Randall
Randall marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Sandy  Kemp
Sandy Kemp rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 3)
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Futures from Nature
  • The Best of Poul Anderson
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • A Science Fiction Omnibus
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Fast Forward
  • Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
David Geddes Hartwell was an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian writers to the US market ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))