Start by marking “Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1)

Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  8,418 ratings  ·  626 reviews
There are monsters among us. There always have been and there always will be. I’ve known that since I can remember, just like I’ve always known I was one ... Well, half of one, anyway.

Welcome to New York City - a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Most humans are oblivious to the pretern...more
Paperback, Roc, 339 pages
Published March 7th 2006 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Nightlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightlife

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
57th out of 2,365 books — 8,758 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
19th out of 533 books — 832 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I loved this book. It was very different and kept my interest in a way that a great urban fantasy should. I really fell in love with Cal and his brother Niko. I love books that show a positive view of siblings since I love my sister and get along so well with her. If you enjoy the relationship between Sam and Dean on Supernatural, you'd probably like this book for that reason. Some of the elements of their relationship bring to mind the Winchester brothers. Niko is a man that I could marry. His...more
Amanda
May 01, 2013 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: meh, blog
I have come to the conclusion that I should not buy urban fantasy books that were first published as mass market paperbacks. I can only assume it's the publishing world's version of "straight to DVD" or a SyFy original movie.

Nightlife isn't terrible, but it isn't great. It's been-there-done-that territory for me and just wasn't worth my time. The plot is somewhat original: The Auphe (apparently another name for elves) need a human/Auphe child to help them open a gate to the past. The problem? A...more
Elaine
It's an interesting world, with lots of possibilities, but I definitely got a 'first novel' vibe. A bit clunky in places (esp. in the middle, when there's a kind of POV shift of sorts), and the narrator was annoying an asshole at times (though he is 19, so that could be on purpose). The brotherly interaction has a touch of Sam n' Dean, so SPN fans might dig it.

There was just a little too much, if you know what I mean. Does the older brother have to have long luxurious locks AND be awesome with s...more
Paxnirvana
I got half way through this, kept putting it down and picking it back up again. But I was forcing myself to read it. So I finally just stopped.

Why? Too much snark. Niko is too perfect, which is a liveable flaw, but damn it, Cal will just NOT SHUT UP with the snarky inner commentary. Some is apparently required in the Urban Fantasy genre, but constant? Really, move on with the story and quit with the quips for a minute, will you?

It annoys me more because what Mr. Thurman has started here is a pr...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Mar 20, 2012 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Leandros fans, urban fantasy fans
Thurman's Leandros series tends to be very dark, both in world view and in the voice of the sardonic, damaged narrator, Cal. It's one way the book distinguishes itself from it's UF brethren, but also inhibits me from issuing a ringing endorsement. I can only take so much of the sarcastic, callous, lazy narrator before my inner drill sergeant is tempted to provide a swift kick in the narrative.

One of the most interesting things about the series is that the relationship between the brothers is a...more
Tammy
I really liked this one! This is the first book I've read in the genre with a male main character so it was a nice change of pace.

Cal is half-grendal (elf/auphe). He was abducted by the grendals when he was younger and managed to escape. Since then he and his brother Niko have been on the run, always trying to stay one step ahead of the grendels. But Cal is tired of running and wants to find out more about his connection to the grendals.

I love Cal's sarcasm, I think that anyone who's half some...more
Anita
Apr 09, 2009 Anita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dresden Files fans
I think I've found my next favorite series. I LOVED the sarcastic humor, the well-imagined fantasy creatures, the relationships among characters, and the plot. (I didn't see the plot twists coming.) If you're a fan of Harry Dresden, you might like this series - it satisfied the same literary craving as the Dresden files from my perspective.

Basic storyline: Cal is half demon/Auphe/Grendel - whatever you want to call it. His mom got paid to give birth to him. (His mom was a drunk and a whore.) Cal...more
Erin *Series Addict*
3.5

“What're you still doing up? You know all good little ninjas should be in bed, visions of homicidal sugarplums dancing in their heads.”

Urban Fantasies told through a male point of view aren't that common. There are a few out there but they're in the minority. This one's a brother team with Cal, being the younger brother, and Niko, the older, stronger, and more disciplined one. They both grew up with a horrible mother and no father, and Niko, in college, did what he could to protect and guard...more
Mike (the Paladin)
These are pretty good. A cut above some of the Urban fantasy out there. It does have one of my pet peeves however...a vampire romantic interest, ugh. I'm so sick of "friendly", "tragic", "misunderstood", and "romantic" vampires. As I've observed elsewhere...what if after you've fallen asleep from a wonderful and long session of lovemaking, she feels like she needs a snack?

Think about it.

The story here while not completely original (I mean what story is?) this is a pretty original take on it. Ca...more
Kelly Maybedog
Wow. I was looking for a new urban fantasy series to supplement my Dresden Files addiction and I sure found it. They aren't the same by any means but this series gives me everything I want: intensity, drama, biting humor, creativity, believable characters, villains to hate, heroes to love and worry about, unusual creatures and foes, powerful yet vulnerable protagonists, etc. etc. Add in two brothers who live to protect each other and I've also got a series to help me while I wait for the next se...more
Felicia
I'm listing this book because I believe that guys who want less vagina in their Urban Fantasy would enjoy this. I wasn't sucked in, but it was pretty good. I do think that others might be and that's why I'm listing it!

If you like Jim Butcher then read the blurb and decide!
LiteraryLover
In 'Nightlife' the main character is Caliban (Cal) Leandros and his half brother Niko. They share the same human mother, however Caliban has a Grendel for a father. Grendel is what the brothers call the monsters. And Caliban's father's specific breed of monster is elf. These elves are not pretty and serene in the Lord of the Rings kind of way. They're scary, violent, and have been watching Cal all his life. Several years ago the Grendels finally made a move and kidnapped Caliban and killed their...more
Kana
In a nutshell, I would say this book is not worth reading....or any of the authors work.

Issues:
The author used more metaphors than clear sentences, making the scenes extremely difficult to follow. Which lead to a general lack of interest, and I found my mind wandering, even in the most intense scenes. I didn't even realize I wasn't processing all of it. I had an overall sense of boredom.
There was a redundancy throughout the book that got on my nerves. 'Yes, he's the spawn of a monster, I get i...more
Mel
May 13, 2010 Mel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mel by: Tara
A good start to a new UF series. This one is about two brothers, Cal and Niko, who have lived a life on the run, trying to escape the ghost… or better: monsters from their past. But the monsters have caught up with them.

My biggest problem was that I didn’t understand why the Big Bad was/were so bad. We were told the Grendels were horrible but we hardly witnessed, why.
The Grendels and Darkling felt a little cardboard. Or like a James Bond antogonist who is bad, but you don't really know why. Bec...more
CD
Jan 17, 2009 CD rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
It started out ok. Thurman has an interesting take on the Dark Elves and his world of trolls and boggles and a Puck is quite inventive. I was even ready to chomp into the relationship between the brothers Cal and Niko as that seemed so different than the other urban fantasy books I have read. However, the book is disappointing and I ended up skimming through to the end. There is a try for humor that falls flat. The characters are never really fleshed out and their relationship to each other seem...more
valee
Well...this book was different. I'm giving 3 stars to this one, I would give 3 1/2 if I could. I'm giving 3 because eventhough sometimes I felt bored, while I wasn't reading the book I was thinking that I needed to read it to know what would happen, LOL. So I guess I got hooked without even noticing it.

I must say that this book surprised me. I thought it wouldn't be a good book because of the slow beginning, but the ending was amazing.
I love to read first person books, so that was something I re...more
Shera (Book Whispers)
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Thoughts:
It has been such a long time that I've read a book and at the end want to obsessively stroke the cover. This was one of those books, it pretty much had me going all Gollum after the last page turned. Considering this was a reread for me, even better.

One of the main things that I love about Nightlife is the running dialogue. If you've ever watched an episode of Gilmore Girls (not that the two have anything in common story wise) you can appreciate witty conversation. N...more
Kati
This book feels like the TV show "Supernatural" in a paper format. And because I love that TV show, I also love this book. Two brothers running away from evil creatures, fighting, protecting each other, having no one to turn to for help. Until they meet a certain puck, a vampire girl and a psychic.

The book does have many cultural references that are rather hard to understand for someone who lives on a different continent though. It's not names and places but phrases that pop up in famous TV sho...more
Dorri
I picked up this series of books, mainly because I loved the cover artist. I'd loved Chris McGrath's cover art on the Dresden comics, so when I saw he had done a series of covers for this author, Rob Thurman, I figured I'd search out the books to see if they might be something I'd be interested in. Found the first one at B&N, read the back, sounded good so I picked it up. Read the first two in a couple of days (work interrupted me) and I'm currently working on the third. I love the snarkines...more
Sath
Cal Leandros is only half human. His father was one of an evil otherworldly race that Cal and his brother refer to as 'Grendels'. And their mother was an uncaring drunkard, so that side of the family sucks too. The only reliable and constant in Cal's life is his big brother Nik, and they have spent the last 4 years on the run together, moving from city to city, trying to stay away from the rest of the Grendels who are desperately trying to get hold of Cal for their own nefarious purposes.

But it...more
Lorelle
4.5 I really love these 2 brothers in their dark little world. I would have given it full 5 stars , but there was a good 150 pages where everything changed, and I mourned for what I had been getting used to for the first 200 pages. I also felt there were a few unanswered questions, and it was a bit clunky in places. Other than that, the banter and wit in this book is very entertaining ( I think he would make Charle Davidson smile :), and not at all draining like it can be. I fell in love almost...more
Tina
A friend of mine had this book as an e-book and let me borrow it to read on my Kindle. I had no expectations whatsoever about this book. I had never heard of either the series or the author before. But my friend, who knows my tastes, thought I might like this.

I hadn't even planned to read it, just simply wanted to have it on my Kindle, just in case I ran out of other stuff to read. But i did start and once, started, found myself really sucked in.

Cal Leandros is half human/half elf. Elves in this...more
Adrian Phoenix
Apr 23, 2012 Adrian Phoenix rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I loved this! The relationship between Cal and his brother, their world, their own history. I just ordered books 2-6 in the series. Can't wait to continue reading their adventures!

Yes, I'm reading this again!
Katyana
This is a really interesting, really ambitious book. I enjoyed it, even as I spent a lot of time analyzing it on a meta level, because some of the choices really surprised me, and I just couldn't decide whether they helped or hurt the book.

Specifically, what I'm calling interesting and ambitious is (view spoiler)...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
this book was great, im glad i finally gotten around to it and i would move straight on to the next book in this series except i have a few other books that will need to be re-turned to the library soon and im hoping to read them before that.

lots of people have complained about Cal's out-look on life, personally i thought it was fantastic! it was a great mix of snarky and sarcastic! which had me smiling throughout the book. what can i say?? people who are always optimistic get on my nerves somet...more
Vivian
2 1/2 stars.

This book started out promising, dragged through the middle, then picked up again towards the end (and without a cliffhanger, which was a nice change).

Cal is a half-human/half-elf, but not the pretty, good kind of elf. These elves are vicious and bloody, and will happily give kids nightmares. At 13, Cal was kidnapped and brought into the elf realm. He came back two years older without any memories of what happened on the other side. With his brother Niko, Cal goes on the run from th...more
ScottK
**** First of all, if you took the time to click on the author name, under the Title of the book, you would see the author is a SHE not a HE. There, myth busted .....onto my review..... ****

This book was very interesting,no it is not High Literature nor would it be deemed a Classic . I have heard/read some complaints about how Caliban (Cal) was very snarky/sarcastic,and how, for some that was off putting. But, really, how many half human half monsters do you guys REALLY know, I mean "sit arou...more
Marcia
Three and a half stars. I liked this one, a lot more than I thought I would. I mean, it's UF, but featuring boy protagonists. It's like some crazy upside down world. Really, it was a nice change from the typical leather-clad heroine and her many supernatural suitors, and I'm glad to have found it. The book is well paced, and I generally enjoyed the tone -- lots of quality snark, and Thurman definitely has a gift for a glib simile.

I didn't feel like the separate narrative voices were distinct en...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Just under 4 stars so rounding up.

Yep - I'm late to the party with this one, but that just means I don't have a long wait between books. If you like UF but haven't tried this one yet, I recommend it.

I liked the brother dynamic, Niko and Cal make for an entertaining read. The brotherly dynamic was believable and is probably my favorite part of the book. Robin Goodfellow - GREAT.

Sure, Cal is really cocky, but he's also freaked out of his gourd and his body is 2 years older than his brain, so I can...more
Jamie
I gave it 100 pages, and the writing style just didn’t work for me. I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with the writing or the story, but I didn’t like Cal’s voice and I wasn’t enjoying the banter between the brothers like I was obviously supposed to. It all felt forced and unnatural.
Sisters in Fantasy and Sci Fi 8 28 Jul 28, 2014 10:42AM
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, # 1)
  • WebMage (Webmage, #1)
  • A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift, #1)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Staked (Void City, #1)
  • The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
Rob Thurman is currently writing three series for Penguin Putnam's imprint ROC FANTASY, as well as a brand-new mainstream series for Simon & Schuster's POCKET BOOKS.
Rob has also written for a Charlaine Harris & Toni L.P. Kelner Anthology, WOLFSBANE AND MISTLETOE. This year, Rob contributed a post-apocalyptic, "grim" faerie tale Western to the anthology, COURTS OF THE FEY.

Rob's work is dark...more
More about Rob Thurman...
Deathwish (Cal Leandros #4) Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2) Madhouse (Cal Leandros #3) Roadkill (Cal Leandros #5) Blackout (Cal Leandros #6)

“When life gives you lemons. . . You might as well shove 'em where the sun don't shine, because you sure as hell aren't ever going to see any lemonade.” 82 likes
“We all have our security blankets in this world. Some are just sharper than others.” 46 likes