Start by marking “The Lemonade Trick” as Want to Read:
The Lemonade Trick

The Lemonade Trick

A mysterious potion mixed by Kerby with his chemistry set has a beneficial effect on the neighborhood bully but also wreaks havoc at the Sunday School pageant.
Published January 1st 1988 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Lemonade Trick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lemonade Trick

Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 21, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys who like magic
Kerby helps Mrs. Graymalkin when her heel gets stuck in a grate at the park, and she gives him an old chemistry set that used to belong to her son. Kerby mixes up a batch, and finds himself compelled to drink the wonderful smelling stuff, and then is equally compelled to be the best behaved boy possible for the rest of the day! He realizes that this has the possibility to be VERY useful!
I love the "trick" books, and this one and The Hateful Plateful Trick are my favorites. Sadly, they are long
Luann
Feb 03, 2017 Luann rated it really liked it
Perfect for a 9-year-old boy. My enjoyment of the book came more from watching his enjoyment than from the actual book itself.
CLM
Jul 31, 2007 CLM rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Andrew
When Kerby Maxwell received a chemistry set from a mysterious elderly lady at the playground, he decides to use it to protect himself from the neighborhood bully - with hilarous results!

I love Scott Corbett! I read this many years ago (Pippa Passes is my favorite of all his books) and my nephew enjoyed it just as much this time around.
Kathy Blose
Jul 09, 2008 Kathy Blose rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all kids and all the young at heart
I read this a long time ago and found myself very drawn into the world of this kid and the mysterious lady, Mrs. Graymalkin, who gave him a chemistry set. It's fun to see how Kirby uses the chemistry kit and how he takes on his opponents (bullies) in the story.

This was the first in the series that I read and I enjoyed the whole series.

Kathy Blose
Amanda
Sep 05, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
I remember really liking Scott Corbett's books. When Mr. Corbett was living in Providence, RI, I had an opportunity to meet him and was both awed by his greatness and amazed at how regular he seemed. I remember my mother said something about how I wanted to be an author and he said it was fun but would never make me rich. I have many clients who would agree.
Janell
Feb 24, 2010 Janell rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this to my grandchildren. My book was an old copy from my childhood and has a 35 cent price on the cover! :-) As we read together, I was reminded how much I had loved this book when I was young. My grandson thought it was great and wants to read another just like it!
Alicia
Jul 11, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Josh said he'd give this book 4 stars. It's a sweet story.
Elizabeth Root
Dec 15, 2010 Elizabeth Root rated it it was amazing
Just finished this with my kids...we focused on "Personal Responsibility" They loved it and are using the book bag next week!
Rojitas
Nov 21, 2007 Rojitas rated it it was amazing
The book is about a very not bad boy but iresposable boy. He don't do his homework. But one day when he went to the park he know a old lady. that lady give to the boy a chemestry set. Then the boy began to do potions.The old lady teaches he boy a trick a lemonade trick.The boy do the lemonade trick and he drionk it.The next the the boy was different in his comportation.He began to do his homework and help innthe house with clinig the porch. But when the potion end s the boy new that he have to b ...more
Courtney Bowman
Jan 22, 2013 Courtney Bowman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary, pre-2000
This book is somewhat humorous because a young boy who seems to be mischievous helps an older lady and she rewards him with a chemistry set. This is magic and makes people turn nice for the whole day, even on the bullies.

I would want someone to read this book if they liked magic or just needed to turn in the right direction.
Annette
Dec 23, 2007 Annette rated it liked it
This was a fun summer read back when I was a little kid just starting to get into real books....I think I ordered it from Scholastic Books through my school---thanks goodness for them and the Bookmobiles!
Silver Rose
May 16, 2012 Silver Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Wow, this takes me back! I fondly remember checking this book and Dr. Merlin's Magic Shop out of the library all the time!
Lorie
Nov 06, 2010 Lorie rated it did not like it
I'm just starting this book for the study guide project that I'm writing with Elizabeth. I'm finished with it and wasn't very impressed. Hopefully, her students will find it more enjoyable.
Hααℓєу♡ Ƒιѕнєя
Aug 12, 2015 Hααℓєу♡ Ƒιѕнєя rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, fiction, 2016
This book was silly, had a fun idea and unexpected twists.
Christine
Jun 21, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
Great book!
David Raffin
Nov 30, 2010 David Raffin rated it it was amazing
I read this in the first grade. Yes, this is the book that started me on the path to evil.
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
Another favorite from childhood. Something about these books by Scott Corbett captured my imagination. Probably the chemistry set that produced magic!
Abigail Danfora
Jan 07, 2012 Abigail Danfora rated it did not like it
I remember being really bored with this when I was 6-7, and even then, I loved reading. It teaches a good lesson for younger kids, but it's somewhat boring.
RNB
Jul 07, 2015 RNB rated it it was ok
it was funny and boring
Luann
Apr 13, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it
I loved this entire series when I was young. I read every title that I could find in our school library. I remember "The Lemonade Trick" the best, probably because it was the first one I read.
Cd
Jul 30, 2016 Cd rated it really liked it
There are a bunch of books by this author. The trick books were very cute. One of the author's other books wasn't appropriate, so you would have to check those out
Rachel
May 18, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
We enjoyed this funny book.

Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Nikita
Nikita rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
Maxine
Maxine rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Cathie
Cathie rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Megging
Megging rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Rory
Rory rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
George M.
George M. rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Rhys
Rhys rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Mermaid Summer
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • Shy Charles
  • The Extraordinary Adventures Of Ordinary Basil
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • The Story Of George Washington Carver
  • Bridge to Terabithia: L-I-T Guide
  • Class President
  • "What is That?" Said the Cat
  • No Coins, Please
  • The Midnight Fox
  • The Return of the Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Fortunately
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • If Animals Kissed Good Night
  • The Cinder-Eyed Cats
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound)
  • The King with Six Friends