Start by marking “London” as Want to Read:
London

London (Lonely Planet City Guide)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  419 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
- elaborate descriptions of things to see and do on and alongside the River Thames- detailed entertainment section covers music, theater and spectator sports- easy-to-use maps enable painless navigation of this vibrant world capital- the best in London's accommodation and food offerings for all budgers
Published January 15th 2004 by Lonely Planet Publications (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London

Beth
Jun 07, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guide is a useful resource for researching hotel, restaurant, shopping and attraction options while in London. While the Lonely Planet does contain a section, toward the end of this guide, for such practical concerns for less experienced travelers, such as tipping, getting around the city, currency exchange, etc, it felt a bit brief and rushed. With that in mind, I plan to also check out Rick Steves' London guide, as well.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 28, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Another top recommendation for a particular Lonely Planet volume. This version is the second LP London book I've owned, and it's storehouse of recommendations and knowledge has proven to be so invaluable I've committed much of it to memory. Another essential bible for the anglophile traveller...and an invaluable guide to my favourite city on Earth!
Daniel Kukwa
Dec 30, 2016 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've trusted "Lonely Planet" guides with my life for over 10 years, and content-wise they have never failed me. In preparation for a trip to London this coming summer, I picked up an updated guide to the city. For the most part, it maintains its usual standard, but I must admit I was disappointed with the detachable map for the first time. The details are far too small, with some important areas cut off. Several of the maps in the rear of the guide are also printed awkwardly, with the decision t ...more
Paige
Dec 31, 2016 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, quick overview and small enough to bring on the trip!
Mell
Mar 17, 2013 Mell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this and taking with us to London. LP seems to be the most user-friendly of the travel guides I've tried. Their guide to Montreal helped make a great trip a few years ago, so I feel confident in taking this one to England.

Update and final word:
4.5 Stars

A very useful guide! The rip-out map was especially helpful in referencing places and directions for destinations on the outskirts of the city. The freebie pocket-sized maps we found at Heathrow airport and some of the train/tube stations
Amy
Sep 15, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a good introductory guide to the biggest things to see and do in London. The maps were a little lacking, but suggested itineraries were good.
Gardy (Elisa G)
L'edizione a colori è sicuramente più accattivante alla vista e rende la consultazione ancora più rapida ed intuitiva.

La riorganizzazione grafica evidenzia però anche dei difetti. Il primo è l'assenza della mappa pieghevole presente nelle edizioni precedenti, di cui si sente ancor di più la mancanza considerando che nelle cartine "zona per zona" a fine volume la maggior parte delle vie appare senza alcuna denominazione.

Il secondo è che se ora la guida appare più ordinata e gradevole, la nuova g
Lynn
Excellent travel guide from Lonley Planet. I have yet to go to London, but this is the guide I would use for information on how to travel, what to see there, etc. The guide contains up to date information on London containing the airport and other transportation hubs necessary for a smooth trip there and advice on where to stay, eat, see, etc. As an added bonus, there is information on the modern London, as well as the historical London which contains some of the most fascinating buildings inclu ...more
Ivy
May 28, 2012 Ivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: London travelers
Recommended to Ivy by: Lonely Planet
Borrowed from library for my recent London trip and (May 2012) and found it very useful if slightly dated (get the newer version if you're traveling now). Had no problems with the Kindle formatting and great to have an e-book version instead of lugging around a physical books. Used this in combination with the most recent version of The London Mapguide to get around. Guide info better in LP and maps better in Mapguide (obviously).
Julia
Oct 29, 2008 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The included map is a little small and lacking in detail and there is a thread of the pretentious running throughout the narrative, but ultimately this is a useful and honest guide. Its pages are well worn already from my three short months in London and I constantly refer to it for weekend ideas and journey planning. A wealth of crucial information is here in an easy to read and well-written format.
D
May 24, 2007 D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young, budget-conscious traveler willing to occasionally splurge
I think the best way to travel is independently, walking all around a city. My husband and I were able to independently craft a dreamy vacation in London thanks to The Lonely Planet. In addition to fantastic annotated maps for walking tours, the publication offered a helpful array of lodgings, restaurants, and activities, ranging from the inexpensive to the decadent. Happily, even the budget-end suggestions we tried were big hits.
Ashley
Jun 30, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time picking up a Lonely Planet guide and it did not disappoint. Engaging, well-researched, with "insider" info and the right mix of cultural and historical details peppered in, this is more like getting the scoop from a friend than reading a travel guide. Definitely would recommend if you plan on staying more than a few days. I'll be taking this one with me when I go!
Lauren
Dec 08, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yes, London is a big city and there's a lot to cover, but everytime I wanted to look up a certain restaurant or find a bar near me this guide was severely lacking. Also, probably not really the book I needed while debating becoming a resident, this guide clearly (as it should) focuses on the tourists point of view.
patrycja polczyk
It was my first London's guidebook, even though I was there before. It's Lonely Planet, so it can't be bad. It's written lightly, in a concise and informative way. I liked it and learned some new things from it. It's a good book for someone who knows something about London already and for someone, who is new to that wonderful city.
Gypsy
Mar 10, 2013 Gypsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this guidebook immensely, partially because for some reason I really like London. It had little sections on London record stores (yay!) and vintage stores. I just wish it were in full color.
If you are going to London, this is a good guidebook to get.
In the end, though, the Queen marries Voldemort.
Zareek
Jul 14, 2013 Zareek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved Lonely Planet's books. I read this - cover to cover! - before my trip to London earlier this year.

Good recommendations, accurate maps, updated listings. Very useful even for a second timer like me.

The only thing I wished from LP books (or rather all travel guidebooks) is that they cover halal restaurants as well.

But hey, that's where the internet comes handy :)
Tri Le
May 09, 2016 Tri Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic travel guide. Quite handy and portable with loads of information on history, restaurants, hotels, things to do and see, and more. Ended up using the pull-out map quite a bit and wrote lots of notes. Would definitely recommend using this to help plan a trip to London.
Sabine
Jun 13, 2015 Sabine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heerlijk! In de voorbereiding op een mooie trip deze zomer de Lonely Planet van Londen lezen is een genot. Niet alleen heb ik weer van alles geleerd over de geschiedenis van Londen; zeker ook de actualiteit komt ruim aan bod.
Long T. Nguyen
Jul 13, 2011 Long T. Nguyen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who want to travel to London
Shelves: travel
A well-explained book for those who want to really explore the Big Smoke. 'Cause I prefer the printing quality and well-informed content of DK Books, I gave this Lonely Planet copy only 3 star (means: I like it) though.
Jana
Feb 01, 2010 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Over and over again with this city. I remember the time when it was practically impossible to come there, with all the visas and restrictions and now, it's impossible to avoid it, and to get lost if you have this book in your pocket.
Oriana
Feb 20, 2014 Oriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
You guys, one week from today I'm going to London for the first time ever OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Anyone want to tell me about amazing places to visit and neighborhoods to stroll through and foods to eat and things to do? The quirkier and stranger and underground-er the better.
Magda
Oct 10, 2016 Magda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty good guide but in the midst of London traffic turmoil I realized that the tube map was not included. Surprise! Otherwise very good tips useful for thorough planning of a great trip.
Sue
Apr 24, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Susan A
Shelves: travel
I like the lonely planet guides. They provide a good mix of history with easy to find reference information.
Kylene
Aug 04, 2011 Kylene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my top place to go sometime in my life. Read it for a trip, then didn't get to go. Seems like a really great guide book for London.
Shannon
I admittedly didn't read all of this, but the overview information at the start of the book was excellent and extremely informative.
Callum
Mar 27, 2016 Callum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really informative and has many ideas about what to do and stay around London. I would recommend reading a lonely plant guide on the place you want to go before going there.
Gabriela Gajdzica
Gabriela Gajdzica rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Jim Matysik
Jim Matysik rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2007
Daniel Pereira de melo
Daniel Pereira de melo rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
  • Smuggler Nation: How Illicit Trade Made America
  • Fourth Down and Inches: Concussions and Football's Make-Or-Break Moment
  • The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square
  • Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors
  • Frida: Viva La Vida! Long Live Life!
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike That Changed America
  • Scotland
  • Finding Florida: The True History of the Sunshine State
  • America's Great Game: The CIA's Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East
  • Searching for Zion: The Quest for Home in the African Diaspora
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th
More about Lonely Planet...

Lonely Planet City Guide (1 - 10 of 127 books)
  • Amesterdão (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • Amsterdam City Guide
  • Amsterdam City Guide (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • Amsterdam (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Amsterdam (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Athens (Lonely Planet)
  • Pocket Athens
  • Auckland (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Bangkok (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Bangkok City Guide (Lonely Planet City Guide)