Start by marking “Ukraine” as Want to Read:
Ukraine

Ukraine (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Be dazzled by the golden domes of myriad Orthodox cathedrals, be awed by the monumental Stalinist architecture of Kyiv, be inspired by the breathtaking natural beauty of the Crimean peninsula. On the edge of Europe, Ukraine is a land of the unconventional and quirky, a unique mix of cosmopolitan and Soviet, and this insightful guide shows you how to make the most of it all ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 216 pages
Published July 1st 2005 by Lonely Planet (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ukraine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ukraine

James
Feb 18, 2008 James rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
This is probably the worst travel guide I've ever read. It completely misses the point of travel in Ukraine. It's constantly referring to the "sub-standard" quality of virtually everything and trashes all but three or four destinations. I can't tell you how many times I read descriptions of places I've visited an scoffed at how offhandedly they were dismissed.

People don't visit Ukraine for a relaxing week of 5-star hotels and Western European-style tourism. If not looking for family or engaging
Rosemary Titievsky
Jun 06, 2007 Rosemary Titievsky rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Westerners traveling to Ukraine and unable to find a better guide book.
Shelves: travelguides
I'm usually a fan of Lonely Planet guide books, but this one was very disappointing. It's very smug. It only gives phrases in Ukrainian, though Russian is widely used. And it leaves out important basics: don't get your own at kiosks, to get [here], take a left outside of Metro and walk 15 minutes, go underground to cross street, etc. Spent most of the time in Kiev. I was disappointed with a lot of the suggestions.

All said, this was the best Ukraine guide book we could find. Plus, 'change' and '
Meg - A Bookish Affair
In light of my impending trip to Ukraine, I got this book from the library to see whether or not it would be beneficial to buy my own copy to bring with me on my trip. I really thought this was a good book. I had heard good things about Lonely Planet but this was the first time that I had ever looked at one. I reviewed the general, Kiev and Lviv section of the book. It didn't seem to cover a lot of the smaller areas in the country so it wouldn't be that helpful for those going more off the beate ...more
Löki Gale
A good beginning guide to traversing Ukraine, the book does lack specific details and helpful hints when it comes to navigating mass transit. The phrases in the back of the book are helpful, especially when you come across the regions that do not speak Russian or do not have an affinity for Russian speakers.

I highly suggest visiting Lviv, Kiev, and Odessa.
Kirill
As all Lonely Planet books I've owned, this one is by all means very useful, but already dated in some respects. Still it seems to be the most complete guidebook to Ukraine for Westerners. Buy locally published guidebooks in Ukraine for more detailed exploration.
Mary
Very helpful for first time visitors - Kyiv was beautiful and this book saved us a lot of time with tips on eating and transportation, time schedules, etc.
Danilo Senese
It'll not show everything but for a basic pack-up in your first visit to Ukraine it does cover quite all things you may wanna see and provides some goods tips.
Vasily
русская версия
Gregory Kelley
Gregory Kelley marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Vera Hailey
Vera Hailey is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2014
Indra
Indra marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Keith
Keith is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Paul
Paul added it
Jun 11, 2014
Sarah added it
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Europe on a Shoestring London: City Guide (Lonely Planet City Guide) London Encounter (Lonely Planet Encounters) Praga de cerca (Lonely Planet Encounters) Best of London (Lonely Planet Best Of)