The Captain of All Pleasures (Sutherland Brothers, #1)

The Captain of All Pleasures (Sutherland Brothers #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,652 ratings  ·  119 reviews
In her exhilarating debut novel, Kresley Cole captures the drama, passion, and boundless adventure of the high seas—as one fiery lass finds herself caught in a tide of torrid romance.

Raised as a free spirit aboard her American sea captain father's majestic clipper ship, willful Nicole Lassiter has never encountered an obstacle she couldn't overcome—until she meets Captain...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Pocket Books (first published June 1st 2003)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
295th out of 1,916 books — 3,697 voters
Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyThe Gift by Julie GarwoodCaptive of My Desires by Johanna LindseyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanA Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey
Historical Pirate Romance Books
18th out of 140 books — 302 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura the Highland Hussy
---SPOILER ALERT---
I just love Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark, and being deprived of her Scottish Lykae, and stunning Valkyrie I decided to tackle her historicals.
This is the first of 2 books about the Sutherland Brothers. Derek Sutherland is a shipping captain who has basically lost any and all hope. He's an earl, and a captain-guess which one he actually cares about?
Nicole is the daughter of a sea-captain and the granddaughter of a marchioness. When her mother dies when Nicole is only 5,...more
Melanie
What a great book! I can't believe this is K. Cole's debut novel! Wow! Derek got on my nerves at time, but I finally understood why, and he redeemed himself in the end.. And I loved Nicole! What a great heroine! Definitely looking forwards to Grant's book!
Keri
This was a fun, sexy read and I wasn't ready for it to be over. KC should write more historicals and I am looking forward to the next one.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
This is a historical romance by Kresley Cole, which I really enjoyed, not as much as her paranormal romance series Immortals After Dark, but I really like it. It was funny, with a hot and steamy romance, and hijinks on teh high seas, the hero Derek Sutherland was both hot, dangerous and tortured and in desparate need of a good woman's lovin'. Nicole Lassiter, the good woman mentioned was spunky and funny, not your typical historical maiden.

I would read this if you are a fan of Kresley Cole and i...more
Noelle
This one started out a bit slow for me but quickly turned into a high seas adventure that kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next.

Nicole (h) has been raised on her fathers ship The Bella Nicola, and now that he might lose his shipping line Nicole sets out to save it. The only way to do that is to win the Great Circle Race from England to Australia. The one thorn in her side and major competitor is Captain Derek Sutherland (H) who also happens to be her father's biggest enemy.

Dere...more
PT
Since I am all out of IAD books, I thought I would try out Cole's earliest work. Derek is a bit of a jerk, but a sexy, brooding one who finally cleans up his act for the right woman. A bit of the plot seems like filler to make the book a little longer, but overall, I found it quite enjoyable. If you enjoy romances any of the following, this is the book for you:
1) Historicals
2) High seas adventure
3) A sexy, brooding hero
4) A brave, intelligent heroine
5) Characters who fight their attraction and e...more
Michelle the Romance Witch
a very good historical read. if you've ever read a Kresley Cole novel you will not be disappointed. I saw so many of the traits I've come to love in her IAD characters portrayed in these very human characters. I can't wait to read the next in the series and keep enjoying all the types of wonderful romance Ms. Cole has shared with the world.
Lord Rose
I'm not entirely sure how to rate this book. On the one hand, it was full of all sorts of things that annoyed me to no end. On the other, I couldn't put it down.

The misunderstandings were harrowing. But despite my annoyance with the characters for (at least) 75% of the book, once I got into it, I couldn't stop reading. (Meaning I stayed up until 3 am reading, which I usually try to avoid, unsuccessfully.)

There were a few factual errors, as well:
Gretna Green marriages were outlawed in the 1856, s...more
Jane Stewart
Girl keeps running away and uninteresting characters.

I loved this author's book "A Hunger Like No Other," so I thought I'd try this book which I believe was her first book. I was disappointed and cannot recommend it. The two main characters did not hold my interest. Nicole and Derek were attracted to each other. Each time they were together and their relationship started to grow to the next level, she would run off and hide. He was miserable and failed to find her each time except at the end. Th...more
Lynne weir
I both liked and disliked this book. I liked Nicole, she's strong, independent and head strong and she's not afraid to stand up for herself and take risks. Though at the same time there were moments when I wanted to shake her during her interactions with Derek.

As for Derek there were parts of the story were I really liked him and felt bad for him and all but then there were other moments were I just wanted to kick him in the balls and tell Nicole, screw him. In fact he frustrated me and angered...more
Zarinah
its kresley cole is all I have to say! no but really no one writes an ass hole man like her and then brings him to be an outstanding lover! some thing has to be said of the female characters they are strong fighters, determined, rough neck, and sexy they make me kind of want to slap my whole family just to see if I got it :)
this was a great story about fighting the sea waters and the sea love and this story was an excellent read!
Ruth
Wow! I really enjoyed this book. Smart, sassy heroine, well-matched hero and well-written. I read it straight through in one sitting. Even the secondary characters, which are usually more-or-less ignored in HR, were explored and the story was much richer for it. A keeper.
Insaziabili Letture
RECENSIONE A CURA DI BABETTE BROWN
2 stelline

Blog --> http://insaziabililetture.blogspot.it...
Forum --> http://insaziabililetture.forumfree.i...

Primo romanzo storico e insieme debutto per Kresley Cole, “Un mare di passione” ci presenta due personaggi classici del romance: lei giovane, adorabile, ingenua. Lui maschio all’ennesima potenza, dominatore e avventuriero. Niente di nuovo.
Qualche novità, però, c’è.
Nicole è un maschiaccio, all’apparenza. Veste come un uomo, fa un lavoro da uomo, ma D...more
Molly
A well written, unsurprising, historical romance. I came across a list by a blogger of three decades of what they considered the best in historical romance novels. I was surprised I knew so few of the books, so I randomly picked on to read.

It's a good book. Derek is a hot, tortured noble, sailing to run from his problems. Nicole is a plucky woman out of her time, raised by her sea captain father to be a free spirit. It was a fun read, but by the end, became a pretty standard romance novel. Worth...more
Regan Walker
High Seas Romance at its Best—a Keeper!

This is one of my all time favorite romances set on the high seas with a daring sea captain and a worthy heroine. I have read it more than once. It’s a keeper.

The story is centered around two competing shipping companies in 19th century England, and two competing captains (the English Earl, Captain Derek Sutherland, and the American Captain, Jason Lassiter), each of whom must win the Great Race from London to Sydney to survive.

When Lassiter is imprisoned,...more
Jodie
The Captain of All Pleasures couldn't be a more perfect title for this book. I knew I would love this book after reading the first chapter.

Nicole Lassiter, a sailor and heiress, lost her mother at a young age trying to give birth to a second daughter. After the deaths of his wife and unborn child, John Lassiter clung to the only person he had left, Nicole. Though her grandmother wanted nicole to live in England with her and go to school and learn how to be a proper young lady suitable to inheri...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Netha
waktu mo beli buku ini aq sempat baca di amazon ratingnya lumayan tinggi karna itu aq berani beli tp begitu baca ya ampun tanpa pikir panjang langsung ku jual dengan harga murah biar bisa lepas daripada liat di lemariku malah bikin aq gondok khan.....

bercerita ttg captain derek sutherland, earl of ......(kagak ingat).
derek adl pribadi yg sangat pahit & muram. sepertinya tidak ada satupun hal yg bisa membuatnya memandang dunia dengan lebih baik.
hingga dia bertemu dengan "pria" langsing di ked...more
Kathy Davie
Truly a romance novel for feminists! Intelligent, bold (and cheeky!) Nicole Lassiter has the best of all worlds: a father who loves and can't resist her desire to sail the seas with him and a wealthy estate and marquisate to inherit when her grandmother dies. Yet, at age 21, her faceless sexual dreams are driving her decisionmaking, well, that and her need to help her father in the upcoming race.

Someone is sabotaging the shipping lines and the story concentrates on two of them: Lassiter's and Su...more
Tory
Lelyana Taufik
Nicole bertemu denan captain Derek Shuterland di rumah minum murah saat dia sedang mencari ayahnya. Derek saat itu menganggap Nicole adl pelacur di rumah minum itu, tp entah kenapa sangat tertarik. Waktu Nicole di kejar dua org penjahat yg berusaha merusaha merusak kapal ayah nya, dia di selamatkan oleh Derek..saat itulah terjadi ciuman yg memabukkan..halah... trus Derek embawa Nicole dg alasan menyelamatkan dari 2 org itu. Padahal di kepala nya sudah ada pikiran2 kotor ttg Nicole..namum entah k...more
Katharyn Taylor
There are two books in this series and, although it does seem that the series was designed for continuation, I’m glad that she left this series to do her Immortals After Dark series.

The Sutherland family is a well-to-do and titled family in late 19th century England (possibly early 20th century) and the stories center around the two brothers, Derek and Grant Sutherland. The former is the oldest (although not by birth, but by death) and carries the weight of his families expectations on him. He...more
Felicia (Ferishia)
When I first started reading PNR romance, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark (IAD) series was among the first series I started reading. She has since become one of my favorite authors whose books I eagerly anticipate. I have read and loved every one of the IAD books, and eagerly await the next book.

Until most recently, I stuck strictly to PNR because I find vampires and werewolves very hot and sexy. However, I am slowly widening my romance reading to include historical romance. Since I loved I...more
Norma
Oh how the captain can pleasure

Oh how the captain can pleasure

kresley Cole is one of my favorite authors.she's done it again with this romantically wild romp sailing across the sea.Two rivals find adventure, love and trust and even forgiveness .I look forward to reading the second book to the Sutherland brothers adventurous romance.Can't get enough of Kresley she's bringing g s life to all her characters.
Ren
Eeh, eeeh, dulu aku baca ini sebelum diterbitin sama Gagas :D
Pas abis baca IADnya Kresley Cole, terus penasaran baca seri hisromnya. Secara ini debutnya Kresley gitu. Not bad lah, walau emang keliatan banget tulisan karya debut. Masih belum matang.

Sempat kaget pas tau heronya punya istri, jyah selingkuh diye ma heroinenya -__-". Tapi buku ini bikin ngakak euy.

Pas baca adegan MLnya yang pertama, kan ceritanya baca ebook di laptop.

Lagi serius2nya baca tiba - tiba,nyokap manggil dari belakang. Da...more
Mellisa Klock
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Really. The story was good, the romance was so-so. Derek and Nicole, the main characters of this book, are so frustrating and stubborn that I had difficult time getting through this book without wanting to punch both of them in the face.
Kresley Cole's recurring theme throughout all of her books seems to be a love/hate relationship between the two MCs, which I love...I'm no stranger to the powerful feelings attached to meeting a man with whom you...more
KarenF
This was just OK for me. I typically like Kresley Cole but this book is like she took every trope and character trait that annoys me and put it all in one book. Derek is just a little bit too old skool romance alpha controlling jerk for me, at least when he's with Nicole he is. I don't mind it when a hero starts that way but grows up through the course of the book. Derek did that a little but I guess it wasn't enough for me. Even at the end he was trying to control what she was doing. I have to...more
Jenna
The only reason I read this book is for my Book Bingo of debut novel for a favorite author. It was mediocre at best and I probably wouldn't like Kresley Cole if this was the only book I had read by her. She has definitely grown as an author with her writing style. I prefer her paranormal and contemporary fiction rather than her historical. Although this book was not my favorite, it's still better than the majority of stand-alone romance novels that I have read.
Billi Jean
OMG,can you say, hot and spicy with a zip of tension you can feel all the way down to your toes??? Loved, loved this book. It's a re-read for me. Hands down a favorite. Cole just knows how to build tension. She lets it pile up, then lets you relax, then hits you with page after page. Sometimes I read her work so fast, I have to read it soon after and savor it. :) These two books in this series are sadly neglected by her since she moved on to paranormal...sniffle, sniffle, but wow, she does that...more
DGS
Jan 29, 2011 DGS rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to DGS by: Jen (Red Hot Books)
Shelves: read-in-2011
I'm a sucker for pirates. Ok....well, so Derek Sutherland isn't "technically" a pirate....the bulk of this story does take place on a ship that is sailing from England to Australia. There are lies, exotic locations, and most importantly.....really hot sex.

Derek is a captain of a shipping company and Nicole is the daughter of the captain of the rival shipping company. When Nicole's father is sent to jail and can't captain his ship, Nicole takes over....determined to save her father's company and...more
Immortals After Dark: Sutherland Brothers Series 7 27 Feb 21, 2013 10:10PM
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • The Windflower
  • The Pirate Lord (Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1)
  • The Pirate Prince (Ascension Trilogy #1)
  • The Care & Feeding of Pirates (Regency Pirates, # 3)
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (Cameron Family Saga #2)
  • Lady Pirate
  • Passion's Ransom
  • The Pirate Bride
  • A Pirate of Her Own (Sea Wolves, #2)
  • The Game
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Pleasuring the Pirate
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Huntington, #2)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • The Pirate Prince
Kresley Cole is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the electrifying Immortals After Dark paranormal series, the young adult Arcana Chronicles series, the erotic Gamemakers series, and five award-winning historical romances.

A master’s grad and former athlete, she has traveled over much of the world and draws from those experiences to create her memorable characters and settings.
Her IAD bo...more
More about Kresley Cole...
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)