Start by marking “Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1)

Duncan's Bride (Patterson-Cannon Family #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,568 ratings  ·  146 reviews
Reese wanted a wife. Someone to have children with, someone to help rebuild his ranch, someone uncomplicated, and very different from his first wife, the woman who'd destroyed his life. Now he had Madelyn--sophisticated, citified, willing to herd cattle, keep house and start a family. The only thing she asked for in return was love--one thing Reese couldn't guarantee.
Published July 1st 1998 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Duncan's Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duncan's Bride

Lisa Kay
May, 2012 Update
Read this last May and had to read it again for 2012! Loved it! With all the recordings of less-than-desirable books from the 80's & 90's, why can't they put this one on audio?

★★★★★ Five full stars! It has been 21 years since I last read Duncan’s Bride and it is still holds up to the ravishes of time and my fickle changes in reading material. I love Linda Howard at her best and I found her here in this quick-read of a Silhouette Intimate Moments publication. Ms. Howard has
Booklover
KNOCKED OUT!This is a 5++++++++++++++ rating book.Absolutely wonderful awesome heart warming emotional read.Loved Reese-Maddie both are cute adorable caring strong intelligent characters,Reese is a man full of integrity and his ranch is his pride and when that pride was attacked and half snatched he was filled with bitterness but Maddie came into his life and completely healed him though it took some time but he did came to his senses

Reese-Maddie's are now on my top 10 favourite couples shelf,i
Crista
Linda Howard is legendary in the romance genre, and this may be one of her finest. I recently reread it to see if it would live up to my fond memories and I am pleased to say, if anything, it surpassed them.

Reese Duncan is the quintessential Howard hero......... strong alpha, stubborn, sexy, and prideful. However, Duncan's Bride stands out to me NOT because of the hero, but because of the heroine. Madelyn is everything that I love my heroines to be. She has a ton of class, heart, devotion, work
Bark's Book Nonsense
Duncan's Bride is sexy, sassy, a real page turner, it's all the things I've come to expect from Linda Howard.

Reese Duncan wants a wife but not for love or any of those sappy reasons. He has a strong sex drive, he wants children and a strong woman willing to help him rebuild his ranch. In the heroine's words he wants a brood mare. He's been burned by his ex-wife who wasn't willing to rough it out as a ranch wife and took half of everything he owned in the divorce settlement, leaving him nearly ba
Gigi
I loved this book. I loved the message about carrying emotional baggage from one relationship to the other. Reese was an alpha male in every sense of the word. Maddie was a strong and intelligent woman who made Reese really think about whether or not he was willing to lose her. I loved Maddie's character and I actually liked Reese's character also. It was nice to watch their passionate love story unfold before your very eyes. I've already re-read this book twice in a span of 2 days.
Europa
Home means many things to many people. To Madelyn, it represented something she longed for-- a husband and family. She wanted those things so much she was willing to take a huge risk in answering to the newspaper ad of a Montana rancher looking for a wife.

Reese Duncan was lonely; he wanted a wife and family, but not an emotional involvement that goes along with it because of the nasty divorce that he went thru a few years back which made him and his ranch financially ruined. It made him hard and
Dee
This is an old style Harlequin that was originally published back in the late 80's early 90's. Although the Hero could be a bit of a pig at times I still liked him, and I really liked the heroine who had a bit of grit and refused to take a lot of his behaviour and stood up for herself.
KarenH
Sweet, sensual and romantic from the first page to the last. When you need to read an uplifting story, this is the book to choose. Excellent!!!
Diah Didi
** spoiler alert **
Baca ini karena direkomen Veeta, dan penasaran karna dia penasaran pengen banget punya ini, sampe selalu cari ke mana-mana. Katanya Reese Duncan ini perpaduan antara Chase (Texas!Chase-nya Sandra Brown) dan Rome (Sarah's Child-nya Linda Howard). Langsung penasaran, mengingat keduanya adalah hero favorit saya.
Di awal cerita, saya merasa Reese ini orang yang sangat praktis, dingin dan perhitungan. Setelah apa yang dia alami dengan mantan istrinya, nggak heran juga sih kalo dia
Carrie
3.5*
Grade B

I enjoyed this over-the-top contemporary romance with the alpha-male Reece and superwoman Maddie. I loved the banter, especially when they did the "top this strange fact" game. Of course, Reece was an idiot, and Maddie was likeable, but not very believable. I mean, how many people who've never done it can pluck and butcher a chicken without help or instruction? And she happens to be a stellar cook of good old fashioned farm food, mends, cleans and...wait for it.... scraps and paints
Jacqueline
I really like this book. I love the mail order bride theme. The characterization of both the hero and the heroine are very full and complete. LH is a prime example of showing not telling. By the actions and words of the characters you know who they are. Reece is embittered and needs Maddie to help him live again. Maddie is a very different character. I love the way she seems to stroll through life while really getting a lot of stuff done. Her calm nonchalant character is very different from most ...more
Emily
I picked this up on a whim and I'm definitely glad I did. Reese was just alpha enough for my liking. Not a complete 'you're mine and that's how it's going to be because I'm the man' alpha. I get tired of that in my romances so it's nice to find one that isn't overwhelming.

For me, though, it was Madelyn who was the 'star'. She was sweet and kind without being saccharine. Stubborn and willful without being overbearing. In a word, perfect. At least as far as my tastes go.

I'd definitely reread thi
Veronika
I couldn't wait to start reading this book!
I love Linda Howard's writing style and I love reading books with arranged marriages/Mail Order Brides. So Duncan's Bride was a win-win.

"Wanted: a wife for able-bodied rancher."

Reese Duncan has a ranch, he works sixteen hours a day and has no time to search for a wife. So he puts and ad in the local newspaper. That's how everything starts.

Reese is arrogant, stubborn, sexy and honest.

But he is not looking for love. He just wants a wife who helps
Mo
I love anything by Linda. Serious, Gruff Hero who eventually succumbs to the love of a good woman. Need to get more of her older stuff out on Kindle. Thanks Jenna for the book.
justmeri_an
- You know that feeling when you know that something's absolutely bad for you and still you can't help but have that? Duncan felt like that about Madelyn. He was jaded and disillusioned from his first marriage that he was so bent on finding someone totally opposite his ex-wife. Unfortunately for him, he thinks Madelyn is like his ex.

For Madelyn--she KNEW that they were meant to be. She just had to be patient with Reese and make him realize that he could trust and love her.

I really admired Madel
Kate
I still reread this one regularly-I just love the grittiness of it, the way they painfully come to care about each other and how Maddy brings Rhys to his knees by the end of the book.
Karla
3 1/2 stars. I waited a long time to read this book and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Linda Howard has written much better stuff. A lot of people compared this to the style of Mackenzie's Mountain, saying it was vintage Linda Howard. Although the two books had some similarities, they were about the same in length, angry spurned ranch owners, strong-willed women, this one lacked the content and did not wrap up as nicely as the other one did. I loved the dialogue between Reece and Mad ...more
Rhapsody
I love Linda Howard. This book had a mail-order-bride theme, but set in modern day. Reese Duncan got fleeced by his former wife; after two years of marriage, she divorced him, demanding half of his assets. He had to sell a lot of his ranch land to pay for it, which nearly put him out of business. Since then, he's been struggling just to keep himself afloat. The books starts with him deciding that he needs a wife but doesn't have the time to find one himself, so he puts out an ad, which Madelyn s ...more
Megha
This book has been my favourite forever.

Reese Gideon Duncan. Madelyn Patterson. I just cannot get enough of them. I dont even know how many times ive read them and i never ever get bored.

Reese the tough-arrogant-hardened by life guy meets his match in Madelyn the smart-sassy-rise-up-to-the-occasion-when-required and let her man have his moments and know when to bring him to his knees girl.

i love their little game of trivia. i love their fights. i love their understanding. i love their support o
Nefise
3.5 stars...

Most of times, reading linda Howard like reading a Harlequin book for me. Not very acceptable narrative but if you can pass some things, you can enjoy also.

This one was good too but it's not one of my favorites. First of all I can't like the heroine so much. I can't imagine her a real character. She's cool and lazy beheaving person and at the same time affectionate... I don't know, it's jut not working for me :)

I like to read progressing their relationship but actually there were so
Christina
Haha. When I was 10, I found this book in a secondhand bookstore and took an immediate liking to it because of the pretty, pretty flowers on the cover. I read the first 5 pages, grew COMPLETELY bored of it, and put it away on my bookshelf. Two years later, I picked it up again and started reading it...

Let's just say my tiny 12-year-old brain was scarred for life by all the sex. But it did make for good entertainment in the gazebo restricted for grade sevens at lunch time :D
Deepika
After reading this Book my only regret is why didn't i read it before what took me soo long to actually get this book n get it over with .
Well the problem is you cannot get it over with,the moment you start reading your ass is glued to your seat and you cant keep your eyes anywhere but on the book.
Oh Good lord !
description
I seriously don't know what to say because i am...i don't know what i am going through .
description
this is the best western drama I have ever read .
This is the first book by Linda Howard i have ever
Norma
This was just ok. I never liked Reese and couldn't figure out why Madelyn loved him so much. I thought he treated her bad. Also every time he talked down to her and treated her like crap, he suddenly wanted to have sex. It wasn't make up sex either. The only thing I really liked was their trivia banter.

This book reminded me of After the Night. Since I wasn't a fan of that book either, this didn't work for me.
CaroB
4.5 stars from me. I absolutely loved Maddie; she has gumption, she has sass and she has style. If I were into girl crushes, she'd be on my list. I loved how she gave Reese as good as she got, I loved how she got her point across, loved how she stuck with him when most women would've given up on him and dumped his cranky ass. But Reese was hot too :-)
Jane Stewart
It wasn't great, but it was very enjoyable. I loved the characters. I had a hard time putting down the book.

Sexual language: moderate. Number of sex scenes: about five. Setting: current day ranch in Montana. Copyright: 1990. Genre: contemporary romance.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
This little modern-day-western romance was FAN-TAB-U-LOUS! The whole "advertising for a bride in the paper" thing might not have been realistic when this was first written, but in today's world, with internet and online dating services, I found it very believable that Maddie would consider her options and answer Reese's ad. It was my first time to read Linda Howard's work and I was super impressed. She's created a very realistic love story, with realistic emotions and reactions.

There was so mu
Jess
This is one of my favorite romance novels. Call me cheesy, but the plot gets me every time, and the sexual tension in this book is practically overwhelming.
Roshan
What is up with the high ratings?!?!
The book was AWEFUL!
The starting of the book book do no make any sense. i mean, why on earth would a person agree to become a wife to a total stranger was never explained . I mean we et it that she is a very lonely person and she is in need of a companion. Still, her desperateness to agree to this ridicule was not portrayed nor explained enough. This book also was very much like morning glory so it was not even original. I mean Girl!!! Who the heck falls in lo
Diana
Totally awesome book! Loved the characters, the story, the real life feel, and the love. Never read a LH book before and I am totally impressed. The H was perfect with his rugged,crass ways. h was his perfect match. Loved how she didn't put up with his gruff and stood her ground when he messed up. She didn't give in and go back with him until she got exactly what she needed from him. H took the time to find out what he was about and their future together. He didn't just decided to placate her af ...more
Jenny
I adore a good MOC story and this one was pretty epic. Maddie was such a strong but sweet and warm heroine, hero was super alpha bitter and brooding just the way I like them. Her love heals him and saves him and makes him a better man. Super romantic!
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver Lining
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • Dream Fever
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • Sing My Name
  • Morning Comes Softly
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Short Straw Bride

Linda S. Howington was born on August 3, 1950 in Alabama, United States. She began to write at nine years old, and wrote for twenty years for her own enjoyment. She worked at a trucking company where she met her husband, and then decided to try and get her work published in 1980. [1:] Her first work was publishe
More about Linda Howard...
Mr. Perfect After the Night Dream Man Open Season Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)

“I'll tell you what's wrong!" he roared, "I'm trying to quit smoking!" Then he strode angrily to the truck, leaving her standing there.

She blinked her eyes, and slowly a smile stretched her lips. She strolled to the truck and got in. "So, are you homicidal or merely as irritable as a wounded buffalo?"

"About halfway in between," he said through clenched teeth.

"Anything I can do to help?"

His eyes were narrow and intense. "It isn't just the cigarettes. Take off your panties and lock your legs around me, and I'll show you.”
19 likes
“amusement in her eyes and had to grin.
"How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice dropping to a low, intimate tone that excluded everyone else in the cafe and made several women draw in their
breath.

Her mouth quirked in that self-amusement that made him want to grab her to him.

"This isn't one of my good days. The only thing holding me together is static cling."

"Come home with me, and I'll take care of you."
She looked him in the eye and said quietly, "Give me one good reason why I should."

Right there in front of God and most of Crook, Montana, he drew in a deep breath and took the gamble of a lifetime, his words plain and heard by all, because no one was making even the pretense of not listening.

"Because I love you."

Maddie blinked, and to his surprise he saw her eyes glitter with tears. Before he could start forward, however, her smile broke through like sunshine through a cloud bank. She didn't take the time to go around the counter; she climbed on top of it and slid off on the other side.

"It's about time," she said as she went into his arms.”
13 likes