Start by marking “Eclipse of the Crescent Moon” as Want to Read:
Eclipse of the Crescent Moon

Eclipse of the Crescent Moon

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Géza Gárdonyi set his Hungarian children's classic in the 16th century during the 150-year Ottoman occupation. Besides the tales of several battles, the novel details the 1552 Siege of Eger, during which Captain István Dobó's 2,000 Hungarian men, women and children inside the county's castle, defeated a Turkish force of 80,000 men. The Hungarian title, Egri csillagok> ( ...more
Published December 1991 by Corvina (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse of the Crescent Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse of the Crescent Moon

Embers by Sándor MáraiFatelessness by Imre KertészThe Paul Street Boys by Ferenc MolnárJourney by Moonlight by Antal SzerbSkylark by Dezső Kosztolányi
20th Century Hungarian Literature
14th out of 117 books — 91 voters
Eclipse of the Crescent Moon by Géza GárdonyiJourney by Moonlight by Antal SzerbThe Paul Street Boys by Ferenc MolnárEmbers by Sándor MáraiRelations by Zsigmond Móricz
Best of Hungary (in English)
1st out of 23 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
I chose this because I don't know much about Hungarian history and wanted to learn more. This book was a good teacher. Written over a hundred years ago, this has long been a classic in Hungary. It tells of the 1552 Siege of Eger Fortress, the gateway to Upper Hungary, against the Turks through the story of Gergely [Gregory, in English] Bornemissza. He is the hero and in charge of cannons and explosives at Eger Fortress. The story takes us through his childhood, marriage with his childhood sweeth ...more
Bernie Gourley
This book is the English translation of a volume originally written in Hungarian and titled Egri Csillagok, i.e. "Stars of Eger."

Historical fiction works best when the event it's built around requires no fictitious embellishment to fascinate the reader. Eclipse of the Crescent Moon takes place during the 1552 siege of Eger. During this siege, 2,000 Hungarians held off at least 40,000 Turkish invaders for over one month. The Turks retreated despite having had superior armaments as well as a massi
Doris
This, along with The Hobbit, was one of the most formative books of my childhood. I think I must have read it 5-6 times between the ages of 13 and 17. There were parts in this story that echoed strongly with me and my identity even though I'm not Hungarian, not Turkish, not genetically tied to any of teh Balkan nations (that I know of).

And I'm not a boy.
Lee Manning
This was recommended to me while touring the castle at Eger, in Hungary. It is a fictionalized history of the 1552 attempt by the invading Turks to capture this fortress and the town it protected. The heroism of the defenders of Eger is legendary in Hungary, as about 2,000 of them held out agains a seige by a superior Turkish Army of over 20,000 for 39 days, at the end of which the Turks withdrew, their only defeat in their decades-long invasion of Hungary in that century.

The writing is not the
Katinka
I am an Hungarian girl (though living in the Netherlands), and so my mother encouraged me to read some hungarian literature.
Eclipse of the Crescent Moon was a very good book, i finished it in a matter of days. It's a shame this book is not internationally famous, because i strongly recommend it to everyone! seriously, read this book, you'll love it!
This novel is considered a classic of nineteenth-century Hungarian literature. It is a work of historical fiction which is required reading for schoolchildren and students, by the title -- literally translated -- "The Stars of Eger." Gerdonyi's protagonist is a young boy who is adopted by the nobleman, Balint Torok, a mid-sixteenth century leader of the Christian Hungarian forces as they battle Muslim Turks. This narrative, exquisitely written, follows the child in a chronicle of the Ottoman war ...more
Aerien
Őszinte leszek. Nem olvastam el. Mindig csak az első 20-30 oldalig jutottam. Miközben körülöttem mindenki imádta, én viszolyogtam tőle. Egyszerűen nekem túl történelmis volt. :D Nem kötött le. Habár a film nagyon is cselekményes ebből adódóan a könyv is biztos az, de én képtelen voltam elolvasni. Sort kéne azért egyszer kerítenem rá, hisz a film nagyon tetszik, de nem tudom mikor fogom megejteni ezt a találkozást. Sajnálom, tényleg, mert biztosan jó könyv. Csak anno gyerekként nem érdekelt a tör ...more
Amerynth
Geza Gardonyi's historical novel "Eclipse of the Crescent Moon" is thoroughly entertaining. It's action packed and sprinkled with a bit of romance, intrigue, and plenty of fighting between Hungarians and Turks.

Gardonyi takes the real-life seige of Eger Castle and romanticizes the life of one of the Hungarian leaders who defended the fort -- Gergeley Bornemizzsa, a Hungarian who made grenades that were partly responsible for driving the Turks away from the fort after a month-long seige. Gardonyi'
Rob
Incredible graphic detail of the 1552 seige of Eger. After having visited Eger on several occasions and toured the castle remains, this novel gave me a great appreciation for the brave Hungarians who have defended the city.

Geza Gardonyi tells a good story leading up to the battle - he follows the plight of one soldier from his youth while inter-weaving several other characters. A childhood sweetheart, gypsy, adopted father, army commander, and enemy Turk all repeatedly cross paths. At first thin
cloudyskye
Just finished this, and oh, the feelings. I'm not a big flag waver, but this story makes me proud to be half Hungarian. I want to be as brave as the defenders of the fortress of Eger, vastly outnumbered but dauntless (!), standing up against the enemy who comes to kill, steal, and destroy, namely, the Turkish army. I want to be as calm and unswerving as their commander István Dobó, as resourceful as our hero Gergely. Come to think of it, their spirit reminds me a lot of Leon Uris's Exodus. Also ...more
Kmfurr
A Hungarian friend from Eger pointed me to this story, partly set in her hometown. This is a young-adult historical novel recounting Hungary's siege of Eger -- essentially, Hungary's Alamo (or perhaps more like the Siege of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers). This book was published in 1899 and covers events around 1550, when the Turks have occupied most of Hungary and are advancing on the old fortress in Eger, outnumbering the defenders 50 to one.

It's quite a page turner with a l
Whitepixels
While virtually unknown abroad, this is a very popular book in Hungarian literature. A work of historical fiction presenting the Hungarians' resistance against Ottoman occupation in the 16th century. Told through the eyes of Gergely who is a young boy at the beginning of the book, an adventurer later, and a valiant soldier towards the end. A really fantastic book, full of action, heroic adventures, and even a thread of romance.
Roberto Martínez
Since my girlfriend is from Hungary I was bound to read this book, a gift from her father. I'm not that keen on epic narrative, war stories don't usually appeal me and I'm not usually teased by nationalist chants, I have to admit that I enjoyed almost every single chapter of this novel. It contains all you can expect from a good adventure novel. In fact, it remind me of Dumas several times.
Tim Petersik
Great book if you can get it. It's really written for adolescent boys, but the siege of Eger is an actual historical event (I visited the castle in the 90's) and the re-telling here is plausible. A small group of Hungarian soldiers and women hold off the onslaught of far more numerous warriors of Turks. The creativity shown by their leader, Istvan Dobo, is inspiring. Nice adventure tale.
Chanté
My parents served their mission in Hungary and half of it was spent in Eger. This book is about the Eger fortress defending against the Turks to hold off the Turkish invasion. I thought it was really interesting...probably because I've been there. I wish I would have read this before I went. The last half of the book is mostly battle, but the heroes win.
Kitti Majzik
This book is an original hungarian story about love, war, suffering, misguise and so on. You can find everything that you like in history, the romance, the adventure. The story is about the castle and the battle of Eger in the middle ages and two young Gergely and Eva. It is true that the first 100 pages is not so exciting but after you can't take it down.
Joan
Een spannende historische roman met veel humor geschreven. Het boek gaat over de Turkse bezetting van Hongarije. Ongeveer de helft van dit boek beslaat de belegering van Eger door de Turken en de verdediging van de burcht in Eger door de Hongaren in 1552. Dat ging gepaard met veel bloederig strijdgewoel.
Paul
I bought this in Hungary. It is must reading for every Hungarian child. It is a tale of the siege of Eger. The Hungarians stopped the Turks only once, at Eger. Geza Gardonyi the author is a hero of the Hungarian language and culture.
David Koblos
A great Hungarian epic about the age of the Turkish occupation, culminating in the battle for the castle of Eger. It might not be the best book about this era, but it is certainly the most famous one.
Brent Ranalli
Classic of Hungarian children's lit. (Think Tom Sawyer, Robinson Crusoe.) A great story for boys. Sadly, the only English translation available is subpar. I'd love to produce a better one someday.
Ashley Owens
An exchange student from Hungary gave me this book that details the history of her hometown, Eger. I loved having that connection as I read it, and enjoyed reading a different genre than I'm used to.
Morgiana
this is a childhood favorite - and it was so good to read again.
If you want to know more about Hungary and it's turkish occupation, written in a brilliant way, than this book is for you.
Eli
A Hungarian classic that tells of the battle between the invading Turkish army and the ancient city of Eger. A moving combination between history and the tale of brave people.
Beáta
I had to read this book when I was 12. It's a historical novel. It was exciting. It was about a battle against the Turks in Eger (a Hungarian town where there is a castle).
Julianna Kuti
It was one of my lovely books, I have read it in my school years and it was one of my dreams to see the really scenes of the books in Eger.
Saje
I LOVED this book from start to finish. We actually had to read this in the original Hungarian.
Jekka Jones
based on true events of a war set in Hungary between the hungarians and the Turks.
Allison
One of my favorite stories about one of my favorite towns in Hungary.
Robin
  • Halbzeit
  • The Lion of Flanders
  • Camera Obscura
  • Retreat Without Song
Géza Gárdonyi, born Géza Ziegler (August 3, 1863 – October 30, 1922) was a Hungarian writer and journalist. Although he wrote a range of works, he had his greatest success as a historical novelist, particularly with Eclipse of the Crescent Moon and Slave of the Huns.

Gárdonyi was born in Agárdpuszta, Kingdom of Hungary, the son of a machinist on the estate of an aristocrat in Western Hungary. He gr
More about Géza Gárdonyi...
A láthatatlan ember Ida regénye Isten rabjai Egri csillagok Garmatainās briesmas