Start by marking “Bookcraft: Techniques for Binding, Folding, and Decorating to Create Books and More” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Binding, folding, and decorating techniques to create beautiful artists’ books and more

From heirloom memories to unique journals, albums, and altered books—or simple tag books for your kids—Bookcraft contains all the skills you will ever need.

Books are a central part of life, and have been with us for around 2,000 years. Although most books we use are produced commercially
Published September 1st 2008 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about Bookcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bookcraft

Kerry
Mar 11, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
This is something I've always wanted to try, but I have never been able to find a really great resource. This is probably the best one I've come across, but it doesn't have all of the bindings I'm interested in. I can really do without all the artsy books as well. I simply have absolutely no interest in creating something like that and I'm not really interested in looking at them either. Oh well, the other thing that's holding me back is all the equipment! I just don't have the money for all tha ...more
Chris
Mar 20, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This book provides a bit more history of various book forms and includes some more unusual forms, such as carousel and tunnel books, along with how to use paper cutting and folding techniques in the books you make.
Buchdoktor
Jun 17, 2013 Buchdoktor rated it it was amazing
Heather Weston, die einen Master of Arts in Buchkunst am Londoner College of Arts erwarb, führt vom Einfachen zum Anspruchsvollen in die Kunst des Buchbindens ein. Zahlreiche Abbildungen zeigen die nötigen Werkzeuge, Papiere, Einbandmaterialien und Kleistervarianten. Die einfache Heftung wird anhand eines Ganzleinenbandes mit einer Lage gezeigt; die aussagekräftigen Abbildungen benötigen zur Erklärung nur einen knappen Text. Die Proportionen von Buchblock, Einbandpappe und Überzugsmaterial sind ...more
Phredric
Jun 03, 2014 Phredric rated it really liked it
I love books: to read and to write in. Used to make my own notebooks many many years ago and this has inspired me to do it again and provided simple instructions to do so. Going to buy a copy of my very own.
Jen
Oct 01, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-and-design, owned
I really love books that show step by step tutorials with photography rather than drawn diagrams. There's something about seeing the process "live" rather than theoretically. It makes it a lot easier to copy and thus learn a technique a lot easily.

I think this book has the easiest explanation of a pamphlet stitch I've seen; it was really easy to do, which is great since I had to bind a book just hours before it was due!

Rating: 3.5/5
Jamie
Dec 17, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
Great photo instructions for simple and elegant books, plus some more complex effects and projects.
Ezekiel
Jul 13, 2015 Ezekiel rated it it was amazing
This book makes bookmaking seem both really appealing and doable. Just what I want from a book about a craft. Not to mention the glorious examples at the end. I found myself pondering how exactly I would do something like the examples, and then (and even better) how to create a conceptual piece that would be entirely my own.
Mads P.
Sep 09, 2013 Mads P. rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed with how few binding techniques are in this book. I ended up ordering Alisa Golden's "Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms" right after buying this one and I'm finding that Golden's book has much more detailed instructions and many more binding techniques.
Steen
Jul 12, 2013 Steen rated it it was amazing
Of all my bookbinding titles, this is my favorite. It is not only well-written with clear instructions, it also lacks the cheese factor that plagues most craft books.

The true test - I have actually created genuine, finished projects using Bookcraft. That's the strongest endorsement, trust me!
Casey
Feb 26, 2010 Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
Very good for beginners. Full color photos showing all the steps which are clearly written. Explains all the supplies. Variety of binding types.
Tamara
Oct 28, 2009 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
Some cool techniques, including embossing and making pop-up staircases. Sad that all of the examples use "virgin" books instead of altered books.
Tammy
Oct 17, 2010 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, craft
Too intense of projects for me to do...they look great, but complicated! There are great tips for making books though!
Rachaelita
Sep 13, 2010 Rachaelita rated it liked it
Very helpful, informative and fun book. Another one to add to the "to buy" pile.
Janni
Oct 04, 2009 Janni added it
A really nice introduction to bookbinding -- so far, I'm really having fun with it.
K. Blaha
Dec 12, 2012 K. Blaha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
My favorite book-binding reference. Nice color pictures, and doesn't omit too many steps.
Gigi
Sep 08, 2012 Gigi rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
One of the better examples of both ideas and general book binding.
Sally
Oct 25, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Mustapha Bigua
Mustapha Bigua marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jess Twibey
Jess Twibey marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Erica Reichert
Erica Reichert marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Liz
Liz added it
May 12, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Non-Adhesive Binding: Books Without Paste or Glue
  • The Penland Book of Handmade Books: Master Classes in Bookmaking Techniques
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Hand Bookbinding: A Manual of Instruction
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • The Repurposed Library
  • The Sewing Bible: A Modern Manual of Practical and Decorative Sewing Techniques
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps