Start by marking “Liber Kaos” as Want to Read:
Liber Kaos

Liber Kaos

"Liber Kaos" is a complete, advanced magical training course for the individual or for groups, with details of the author's magical order, an outline for setting up a temple, and instructions for carrying out the essential rituals of Chaos Magic.
Published August 1st 1992 by Weiser Books (first published January 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Liber Kaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liber Kaos

Rob
Jun 12, 2007 Rob rated it it was amazing
I like his move of trying to justify CMT on grounds of theoretical physics-- his math is woefully underdone here, but the math on his website carries onward where this book fails.
Al Terry
Jan 07, 2017 Al Terry rated it it was amazing
Very informative open ended view of magic stripped almost entirely of dogma. Interesting read.
Jessica Evans
Jul 16, 2016 Jessica Evans rated it liked it
Such mixed feelings about this one!

As one approaching graduation with an Engineering degree, I expected to be most offput by the quantum physics, but while questionable at least it isn't egregiously stupid; relativity is not confused with quantum mechanics, nor is the insipid false equivalency drawn between physical and moral relativity, which instantly puts this above most other new age nonsense.

However, by making all of Chaos Magick Theory contingent on scientific claims, a vulnerability is in
Felix
Jan 09, 2008 Felix rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any serious student of magick
Shelves: occult
This book is in parts truly excellent - and should be essential reading for students of the 'arte magickal'. The descriptions of mechanism and process are outstanding - although they will appeal most to people with a physics / maths inclination.
Some other parts of the book (perhaps less important ones, really) are much weaker - and make lots of sense but probably are only really useful if you already know what the author is talking about ... otherwise they are likely to be seen as either uninfor
Ankhie Weiser
May 02, 2011 Ankhie Weiser is currently reading it
After a lively and well attended discussion of Peter Carroll's Liber Null & Psychonaut for last month's Weiser Book Club - the members have voted to carry on with Liber Kaos. We will be meeting on Twitter, Facebook & www.weiserbooksblog.com on Wednesday June 1st (noonish ET) using the hashtag #WBC8! Join us!
Lindsey
Aug 06, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it
An excellent description of Chaos Theory used as a magical theory. It was really refreshing to read this after reading so many of the heavy handed magical/mystical theories out there. And this stuff works.
Pamela
Feb 21, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
When I read it, it blew my mind. I've read a lot since tho, so it's hard to remember my first impression. There's not enough out there about mathemagics tho, so I think it still holds it's place as an important read.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
I remember when this book came out it was like the hottest thing out there. As far as Chaos Magic goes this is one of the essential books to have on the shelf. It gives theory, philosophy and practices that are essential for the practitioner.
Jason
Jan 19, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are into Chaos Magic this is a pivotol book, along with Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
Timm
One of the best technical manuals on magick yet created. Carroll is one of the minds behind the rise of Chaos Magick. This book is a refreshing dose out of the standard mythic embedded occult offerings.
Sighris
May 09, 2009 Sighris rated it really liked it
Shelves: magick
Available for free on-line... or at least it was last time I looked. The theory on how the IOT should work.
Terra Bosart
Jun 04, 2009 Terra Bosart rated it really liked it
One of the first books on magic that didn't talk down to me, and also didn't use a great deal of flowery language. It inspired me to analyze my perspectives, and begin practice again.
Danilo Lima
Danilo Lima rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
scott
scott rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2008
Vincent Piazza
Vincent Piazza rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2015
Sean Blakey
Sean Blakey rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Tomas
Tomas rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Dj
Dj rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Rkf Felps
Rkf Felps rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2007
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Ziv Kitaro
Ziv Kitaro rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2010
Famespeare
Famespeare rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Saan
Saan rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Scott Davidson
Scott Davidson rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
David Lee
David Lee rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2014
Robin Goodfellow
Robin Goodfellow rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised: An Essay on Magic
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Real Magic
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
He maintains a personal website at www.specularium.org

and acts as Chancellor to Arcanorium College:- www.arcanoriumcollege.com

Peter Carroll began his career in Magic at London University where the Chemistry proved so tedious that he settled on a pass degree in that and an unauthorized first in Magic, with Liber Null & Psychonaut emerging as his postgraduate thesis over the next several years w
More about Peter J. Carroll...