Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)

Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon #13)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  34 reviews
With his Southwestern series, bestselling author James D. Doss and his dryly humorous, no-nonsense Native American sleuth, Charlie Moon, have brought law and what’s going to have to pass for order to Charlie’s Columbine Ranch and the nearby Ute reservation.

Now the seven-foot rancher and part-time tribal investigatorwants tocarve out a little more space for himself alongsid...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Minotaur Books

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
66th out of 703 books — 557 voters
Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrThe Reptile Room by Lemony SnicketHoles by Louis SacharThe Tortoise and the Hare by Janet StevensCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
Calling All Reptiles!
97th out of 109 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha
While I was initially pleased to revisit familiar characters I've grown fond of, I was aghast to discover Doss' strange new writing style, as if he'd suddenly morphed into a giddy teenager trying to tell an unconvincing story. Charlie Moon deserves better than this.
Sean Byrd
Well, this is the one that knocked Mr. Doss off my reading list. I love the Charlie Moon stories, but each subsequent book, gets more tongue-in-cheek and the last couple, the endings have almost been contrived using ancillary characters and one sentence clues to bring out major plots.
Becky
I honestly couldn't finish reading the book because of the way that Doss has changed the writing style. I don't like the narration that he has added to the stories. It was difficult to get thru three sisters but impossible for me to get thru snake dreams.
Marsha
Jul 30, 2011 Marsha added it
It's like some cutesy person was writing this book, not the author of The Shaman Game which was great. It was a kind of "dear reader" thing where the author was addressing the reader to add little snippets, but I digress...which is what the writing was like. I like my books straight without unnecessary remarks that have nothing to do with the story. I'll read the other ones but hope they will be better than this.
Farhana Faruq
Another wonderful read. The only drawback to this story (out of the Charlie Moon series) is I didn't like the style used. James Doss seems to switch from one narrative form to another, which ruined the flow of the story.
Jane
Didn't like his style. Won't read more. Author seemed to be different just for difference sake, not because it enhanced the story. Lacks art. This is his first book I read and the last.
Marcia
Good story - too many asides and side references that interfere in the flow of the story. Lots of little sidebars that don't add anything to the story.
SadieKate
I think I've officially given up on James Doss. The new style of contrived suspense ruins the story.
M_latimer
Not a big fan of Doss' writing style. Will not read another of his books.
Betty
Snake Dreams by James D. Doss: A Charlie Moon Mystery

Book 13 of the Charlie Moon series and I have read all of them up to and including this one. Waiting for me in my bookcase is #14 The Widows Revenge, and on my Wish List is #15, A Dead Man's Tale. Obviously I am a fan of James Doss and a fan of Charlie Moon. What is not to like? A 7 ft tall lean good-looking Ute cowboy, retired cop and now part-time tribal investigator. He has a wonderful ranch in a beautiful location, every girl falls for him...more
Samantha
Another solid Charlie Moon mystery from Mr. Doss. This one is told in a slightly different style from the previous tomes, much more conversational than normal. The narrator has a lot of interaction with the reader audience. This might bother people who dont care for that style of storytelling, preferring the standard invisible narrator/invisible audience deal. I like it, though. Clearly Doss is aiming to set up that casual cowboy feel to the thing.. informal and laid back, just like Moon himself...more
Susan
Charlie Moon is a Ute rancher and sometimes investigator, plagued by his ancient Aunt Daisy, a shaman, who is raising orphaned Sarah Frank. Aunt Daisy meets the ghost of Chiquita Yazzi, who asks her to help daughter Nancy, a school friend of Sarah's, who is being abused by her stepfather. But Nancy has plans of her own, involving her shiftless boyfriend. Next thing you know, the stepfather is dead and the boyfriend is on the run. Charlie and his friend, the local police chief, are suspicious of...more
James Glass
I just couldn't get into the story. The author seemed to jumble around and it was difficult to follow the plot.
Donny Hilgeman
He's increased the humorously descriptive narrative far more than in the past.. It took me a little to get used to the change - its always been there, but bumped up quite a bit in this book. I, however, after taking a little time to get used to it, have decided that the move further down the road of humor is welcome. Long story short, I love it. And will continue to spend my hard earned money on Doss's books - I really do love the characters in his books, especially Daisy. Would love to see her...more
Jeff Dickison
I really tried to like this book, but Doss' writing style is so off-putting I just couldn't give it a higher rating. In fact, I think 3 stars is being quite generous. Doss writes like an old woman gossiping over the back fence with another old woman. Parts of it were humorous, but much of it was sophomoric. I may give Doss one more try, but if he continues to write in this manner I will probably quit after that.
Jennie
This is one of the series Doss has written starring tribal policeman Charlie Moon. His eccentric aunt has a starring role in this novel and gets up to lots of amusing trouble. I really enjoyed how this book was written in the third person and the reader observes the characters in action. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the Charlie Moon mysteries or a good laugh and a mild mystery.
George
#13 in the Southern Colorado Ute Charlie Moon mystery series. Though involving crimes, this story is more light hearted with more humor than the few others in this series that I have read. It features Moon's cantankerous Aunt Daisy more along with a new friend who also cantankerous and adds humor as she and Daisy work together.

This is more a fun read than a mystery with an extremely inept villain.
Gerald Brewster
Ute Tribal Investigator Charlie Moon's contumacious elderly aunt, Daisy Perika, accompanied by her 16 year-old adopted neice, Ute-Papago orphan Sarah Frank, is by far the funniest character ever to grace the pages of a murder mystery, even as she imparts her shamanic knowledge to her eager young apprentice. Even the second reading was thoroughly enjoyable!
Douglas
Another rip roaring Charlie Moon story! The dry humor is wonderful and following the antics of the irascible Aunt Daisy makes these stories a pleasure to read. James Doss's writing style is like relaxing in a rocker if front of a blazing pinion fire on Columbine ranch and settling back to listen to a master story teller spinning his tale.
Annie
Not one of Doss's better ones, but an amusing read. Mostly about Daisy, Charlie Moon's aunt. Best to start at the beginning of the series (13 before this, and the 14th coming out in October) in order to learn who is who and the idiosyncracies of each.
Gerald
Nov 22, 2008 Gerald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves mysterys
The 13th book in the Charlie Moon Mysteries by James D. Doss
is the BEST so far. If you love a good mystery with some humor and unexpected ending. This is a series for you. Although the first book focus on two lesser characters.
Denise
This is a 2.5 star rating (they need to add halves).
Rather droll, Tony-Hillerman-wanna be murder mystery set in Utah. Very light, kind of hokey. Not sure I would read any others in the series.
Peggy
I really enjoyed his writing style. His humor is dry and the book is fun to read. I didn't know anything about this being a series when I checked it out. I will probably start at one.
Melinda
2.5 stars - Took me time to adjust to the new style since it actually got in the way of my reading. OK story, gotta love his characters yet loved AuntDaisy - we all have a version.
Sandy
James D. Doss writes his books as if he is telling an old-fashioned Yarn! Snake Dreams was more "yarnlike" than any of his books I have read. It is lots of fun to read.
Jan
Humorous as usual, but not one of Mr. Doss' best stories in this series. However, for those of us 'addicted' to Charlie Moon and Company, it's still a good read.
Karl K
Ok I like the Charlie Moon stories. They seem folks and kind of cozy. Unfortunately the mystery didn't seem to have much meat. But I did enjoy it.
Teresa
I'm not going to review all of the Charlie Moon series. I'll just say that I've enjoyed them. They are written by someone who loves his subject.
Wisconsin
always excited by Charlie Mood and the James Doss humor, another book where I care more about the characters than the mystery.
Bonnie
Not so much a mystery as an adventure, but what a good one! Charlie Moon and cohorts are at it again. Very entertaining.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Spider's Web (Wind River Reservation, #15)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Cry Dance
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Plan Bee (A Queen Bee Mystery, #3)
  • Seed No Evil (A Flower Shop Mystery, #14)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets, #1)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • The Charlestown Connection
James Daniel Doss, recently retired from the technical staff of Los Alamos National Laboratory, now spends most of his time in a small cabin above Taos -- writing mystery fiction. He also travels to the fascinating locations where his stories take place, often camping in remote areas to absorb the impression of an Anasazi ruin, a deep canyon, an arid mesa, or a Sun Dance.

More about James D. Doss...
The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1) The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3) Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6) The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2) The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)