Start by marking “The Petit Appetit Cookbook: Easy, Organic Recipes to Nurture Your Baby and Toddler” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In The Petit Appetit Cookbook, mother and professional cook Lisa Barnes offers a healthy all-organic alternative to commercially processed, preservative-filled foods to help create delicious menus, nurture adventurous palates, and begin a lifetime of positive eating habits for children.

Includes:
150+ easy, fast, child-tested recipes for ages 4 months to 4 years

Mealtime solu
Published March 1st 2005 by HP Books

To ask other readers questions about The Petit Appetit Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Petit Appetit Cookbook

Jen
Feb 27, 2009 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cooking
No pictures, so it's not so easy to flip through and be inspired, but this book is sectioned by age and is fairly creative. I'm thinking of the Baked Ricotta Cake (which I haven't yet made). One of the greatest recipes is the Baby Bok Choy, which I made the other night - it was a definite improvement over my recipe for bok choy and I will be serving it to my family in the future for sure.

Some people will like that this book clearly marks allergy-free, vegan and vegetarian, and sugar-free recipe
Bee
Disappointing. I didn't learn much. I would think everyone pretty much knows how to steam some veggies and puree them together.
Shannon
This was both a basic cookbook of baby purees (one ingredient, steam, then puree) as well as a more complicated, multi-ingredient toddler and older baby cookbook. I tried the apple puree cookies, and they taste really gross to me, but James seems to enjoy them. They are (mostly) healthy with oat bran, toasted wheat germ, and whole wheat flour in them, but even some oil and brown sugar couldn't cover up the heavy, nutty flavor. Honestly, you don't really need a baby food cookbook, but there were ...more
Kristin
Oct 11, 2007 Kristin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for baby recipes
Shelves: being-mama
There are some easy recipes in this book for babies and toddlers. Good variety of food choices so baby can try a bunch of different things. Recipes include a label that tells you if it is glute-free, vegan, etc. in case you have a food sensitive child or are raising them meat-free.

After having this books for a few months I found that I only use a couple of the recipes.

Like many other cookbook authors, the recipes are great, but affording all of the ingredients needed can be too much for my week
Tauna
Oct 22, 2008 Tauna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms making baby food
Recommended to Tauna by: Monique
I agree with another reviewer that for both this book and the Super Baby Food book, you have to be tolerant of a little bit of crazy. But this book has some really good recipes, especially if you already have many of the ingredients on hand as we did. Otherwise it can be too expensive to buy everything you need to make them. It was especially helpful to me for finding new ways of serving foods that my son had already been introduced to, but as separate food items instead of all together in one d ...more
Deanna
This is a much more appealing book than Super Baby Foods and has some of the same information, but it doesn't have the reference-like quality. I did like that some of the recipes coordinated with meals for the rest of the family nicely. Depending on your tolerance for the extreme, this might be a better choice than Super Baby Foods. If you are tolerant of "a little crazy", check out both :)
Michele
Apr 22, 2008 Michele rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
I love the simplicity of the recipes. I love all of the great information/education in the first few chapters. The recipes are easy and very delicious. We all eat some of the "older kid" recipes. Each recipe tells if it meets special diets, like vegan, or gluten free, or sugar free, etc.
Great cookbook for anyone with children-even older kids.
Gaelle
Appetizing and easy to make recipes but disappointing: not enough recipes and it doesn't emphasize enough on the big picture of baby nutrition. I wanted something that would help me figure out the big scope of balanced meals throughout the week for example, and what's a good ratio between proteins, carbohydrates, veggies and fruits.
Joanna Weissen
More complete than her Cooking For Baby book, but without the pretty pictures. The only reservation I have about this book is the insistence to use only organic foods, but it is easy to substitute regular ordinary food instead. Lots of recipes that are just as suitable for adults as well as the kids.
Holly
Great book for baby and toddler food recipes. Ranging from simple purees to gormet creations it depinitely will inspire mom's looking to provide fresh organic meals for their little one. I use this book often and have even used some of the recipes for my own meals.
Meggan
I borrowed this and "super baby food" from a friend when Bradley turned 4 months. This has easy recipes that she loves, even teething biscuits! The superfood book is great for reference but too messy for daily use. Petit Appetit is clean, simple and delicious.
Jen
I am pretty critical of cookbooks, but this one has passed the test. It has whole food recipes and seems to offer some unique combinations, yet everything is still simple. I like simple. I give this baby/toddler cookbook a thumbs up.
Molly
Of all the books I've collected on babies and food (and I plan to stop now.. for awhile, at least) this is the one I've returned to most. It's a straightforward cookbook with a nice style and easy attitude. I like it.
Aimee
Another well-loved healthy children's cookbook that shows much wear and tear. My favorite recipe in here (and there are many!) is Quinoa stuffed peppers. Mmmmmm!!
Khinna
I don't know why I wasn't making baby food before. I love all the organic, healthy recipes for my toddler as well.
Keri Zipay
The recipes in here are great, and it gives info on the length of time for steaming a lot of veggies and fruits.
Katherine
Jun 13, 2012 Katherine added it
Shelves: kitchen
We referred to this book constantly when our daughter was starting to eat regular foods. Great, great book.
Jacquie Bryant
i'm going to make baby food and i learned that pears don't ripen by themselves on the tree.
Leslie Abla
Jun 27, 2008 Leslie Abla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all parents
Recommended to Leslie by: Laura
Excellent healthy cookbook for preparing good wholesome food for your baby/toddler.
May
Dec 11, 2013 May rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: baby, 2013
Good info. Still have to try recipes. Then ratings will prob change.
Stephanie Driscoll
Stephanie Driscoll marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Cherry Jean Reed
Cherry Jean Reed marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • First Meals: The Complete Cookbook and Nutrition Guide
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • Yum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches
  • Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
  • The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The Successful Child: What Parents Can Do to Help Kids Turn Out Well
  • Grub: Ideas for an Urban Organic Kitchen
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 250 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months Petit Appetit: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry: Easy, Organic Snacks, Beverages, and Party Foods for Kids of All Ages Hydrogen Peroxide (Safe & Sane Uses for this Versatile Household Solution) Going Home Hydrogen Peroxide (A Practical Guide to Safe and Sane Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide)