Start by marking “Wings of Dawn” as Want to Read:
Wings of Dawn

Wings of Dawn

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  480 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
This wholesome, fascinating fictional work is clearly Christian, yet appropriate for seekers or nonbelievers. Join the fiery adventure as ancient secrets are unearthed, Thomas's fragile faith in God is tested, and as he faces a diabolic conspiracy that has ruled the land for centuries.
Published March 1st 1999 by Chariot Victor Publishing (first published November 1st 1994)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books I Can't Get Enough Of
90th out of 535 books — 215 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingA Passion Most Pure by Julie LessmanA Passion Redeemed by Julie LessmanWaterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren
My favorite books of allllll time
12th out of 100 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Katherine Maxwell
Feb 07, 2010 Katherine Maxwell rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite of all time.. I read it in its original form, Magnus,(which I must say I prefer the name and the cover art than to the newer version) and met the author when i was in the third grade...since then I have read it at least once a year..I am now 24 years old..I have destroyed several copies and now that it is out of print, again, I have purchased every copy I can get my hands on so that I will have some for my kids.
The story is such a great mix of Medieval intrigue, romance
Bill Krieger
Jan 07, 2012 Bill Krieger rated it liked it
Wow, the first 300 pages of Wings of Dawn are a fun 4-star romp. The book is set in medieval England. There's tons of action with heroes and villains and peasants and knights and the whole deal. It's very fast-paced, chockful 'o action. This is not detailed historical fiction that places you in the time period with elaborate narration or anything. It's meat and potatoes, baby. Which is good. Count me in!

Alas, the book dies a pretty horrible, twisted (and disappointing) death over the last 150 pa
Bethany F.
Jan 18, 2010 Bethany F. rated it it was amazing
An amazing book!

What a breath of fresh air. This book shows a realistic view of the medieval world through a complicated and wonderfully woven plot.

My first ever Sigmund Brouwer read. I've gone back and read it so many times!
Frode
Jan 20, 2014 Frode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fun, fun. I read this book in the mid-90's and passed it on to a number of young folk. Over time it disappeared from my collection. It was later republished as Wings of Dawn. Currently having read the first three installments of the Immortal series, a retelling with other back stories of Magnus, I went on a hunt to find a copy of the original Magnus. The internet is a marvelous tool. I found a used copy in Florida, ordered it, and enjoyed it immensely. There some Deus ex Machina type points ...more
Neil
I love this book! If I can find a hardback edition [or even one of the soft covers] of the book 'Magnus' I'll purchase them as well. It is a wonderful book! [Perhaps 'wonderful' is too strong a word, since I gave it only four stars as a rating, but a part of me wants to move it up to five stars. Perhaps after the next time I read it I may bump it up.]

It is a piece of historical fiction that takes place around 1310 - 1315 AD. The 'hero' has been taught to believe he will rescue the population and
Hope
Jun 05, 2013 Hope rated it it was amazing
I found a copy of WINGS OF DAWN at a local book exchange store, and thought "Why not?" Since then, many friends have shared that it is one of their favorite books - also out of print!

Sigmund Brouwer writes with simple yet elegant prose, weaving a tale of mystery and intrigue. WINGS OF DAWN follows the journey of a young orphan, Thomas of Magnus, in the dark ages of Europe. Thomas embarks on a quest to save England with a string of companions - he doesn't know until the end who is truly on his s
Megan
Feb 21, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
There was a lot that I enjoyed here, especially once the plot got going. I'm a Christian who tends to not particularly like Christian fiction, so I was pleased that the faith was plot-important and authentic but not forced or obnoxious. I think where the book fell short for me, though, was in two places.

First, the "is he a Druid or isn't he?" got a little old. It's a long book and I got frustrated that so much of the plot was due to people changing their beliefs about someone's loyalty. (Althou
Dayna
Aug 27, 2007 Dayna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This book has been published under different titles, and I think maybe even as a series. I originally read it under the title "Magnus" which is the title I prefer ... but when I went to purchase it this is the only one that I could find it under. It sounds like some dumb romance. It is one case where you really can't judge the book by the cover. It is such an enjoyable read!

It's about a young man named Thomas and his journey as he discovers ... well ... as he sets out to fulfill his life destin
Jocelyn
Apr 23, 2012 Jocelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alicia
Nov 15, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
I can not say enough good things about this book. It's one of the books that got me into the science fiction and fantasy genre and into reading as a whole. It's certainly not perfect, and it's not very complex. But it's an honest clean fun book and holds a very special place in my heart.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
I own the original version of this book (originally titled Magnus). It had a couple of problematic details / plot twists towards the end, but for a pre-teen reader it made for good, page-turning medieval adventure reading.
Jessica
Feb 19, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Or church library copy is from 1995 when it was still titled Magnus. Entertaining, clean, lots of action and adventure. I would have re-read it to death as a teen.
Jeff Simon
Jan 03, 2015 Jeff Simon rated it it was amazing
I actually read this under the title of Magnus. One of my favorite books. I read it multiple time in high school. Time to pull it off the shelf again?
Braden
Jul 01, 2014 Braden rated it it was ok
This book didn't really grab me and I couldn't finish it. The characters, setting, and plot didn't make any sense. Everything I read felt really contrived.
Amber
Dec 24, 2012 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
While there were many good elements in this story, the author is very abrupt in his writing style. One moment the character is in one place and in the next paragraph he is somewhere else. He also doesn't spend a whole lot of time on descriptions. For example: the main character's love is often disguised as a cripple with bandages around her face. While he hints to the fact that she may not truly be scarred, he never actually comes out and describes what she actually looks like. This frustrates ...more
Daniel Gaul
May 29, 2015 Daniel Gaul rated it it was amazing
An awesome series (Winds of Light) compiled into one novel (1st 6 books); I highly recommend this :-)
Mathew
Aug 13, 2015 Mathew rated it it was amazing
Awesome!! The description on the back describes only the first 1/4 of the book and that alone was enough to get me hooked. I love that it is based in the real world with events that actually happened. Its set in the early 1300s in England. My new favorite book that i would recommend to anyone who enjoys lots of plot twists.
Hannah
Dec 18, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Aha!! No wonder "Magnus" was impossible to find! The title has been changed to a far more common-sounding and uniformed type of title(as has the cover art). But no matter, it does not diminish the fact that this book is excellent. Not to much of the overly lustful physical attraction found in many Christian books but just a touch of romance. I can see why some people were annoyed by a bit of overexplanation but I still adore this book and have read it several times.
Angel Pascoe
One of my favorite books ever, though unfortunately it's been broken down into a teen set now:(
Jori Hanna
Nov 01, 2015 Jori Hanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This book was one of those books that was hard to get through in the beginning, but more and more after I put it down it got irresistable and I was dying to know what would happen to the characters. It's a rollar coaster ride with a lack of trust in all directions and clearly points out the dangers and struggles of being a spy and part of a larger covert opperation in which it is impossible to know who is for you and who is against you. This book is an absolute must read.
Misty
Sep 25, 2013 Misty rated it it was amazing
This book faithfully remains one of my all time favorites. I still regularly re-read it and it has a place of honor on my shelves.

The characters are written vividly, the plot is engaging and deep, and the world building and description is second to none. My only sadness about this book is that it was a standalone and I could read only one!
Kimberly Knight
Jan 24, 2009 Kimberly Knight added it
Shelves: own
My all time favorite book that my groom to be introduced me to in 2005. I purchased both copies our local library had at the time, just for the sentiment. I would definately say this is a mustread for those that aspire to see things out of the box: It will not be a waste of your time in the slightest.
Julianna
Mar 03, 2010 Julianna rated it it was amazing
This book will give each individual that reads it a great sense of excitement when they read it. From the very first page, "Wings of Dawn" is and continues to be simply enthralling!! I say that anyone who lacks the interest in reading should try this book and then see what they think. It's Wonderful!!!
Lilly
Amazing! extreamly well written and full of twists. it keeps you on your toes. It's deffinately a fun read dispite the character's seriousness.
Stephanie
The story was interesting enough, but the writing was heavily expositional and repetitive. I haven't noticed that in any of Brouwer's other writing. The story, also, wasn't very original. Overall I wasn't very impressed. I like a lot of his other books much better.
Erin
Sep 10, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fortunately I did not purchase this title but got it from the library. I was suprised to learn that this is the same book as "Wings of Dawn". The reviews on Barnes and Nobles did not make that clear. I did enjoy the novel immensely.
Erin
Jan 27, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
This was an amazing book that I simply picked up because the cover looked interesting. It is full of action but doesn't have gratituous foul language. I am looking for more by this author. Srongly recommend this to teen and older.
Mary
Mar 28, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
My favorite book from high school. My copy is pretty worn, but I love the story. About five pages in, I was hooked! The characters have interesting backgrounds, and the story line keeps you guessing. It's a really enjoyable read.
Adriel Salzgeber
I thought it was one of the best books I have ever read. It was clear and there were no blank spots or boring spots. It is a thrilling ride from the beginning to the end. BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. Lot of surprises at the end...
Kathleen Joy
Nov 05, 2014 Kathleen Joy rated it it was amazing
The beginning was a bit slow but when it started getting exciting (which is a little after the beginning) it kept on getting better as it went along so when it was close to the end it was REALLY good.
  • The Emerald Isle (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #4)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • A Bride for a Bit
  • Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7)
  • By Way of the Wilderness
  • Cherry Ames, Department Store Nurse (Cherry Ames, #18)
  • Gwinna
  • Catkin
  • Valiant Hearts (Egypt Trilogy #3)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Sigmund is married to songwriter recording artist Cindy Morgan. The couple and their two young daughters divide their time between Red Deer, Alberta and Nashville, Tennessee. He loves going to schools to get kids excited about reading, reaching roughly 80,000 students a year through his Rock&Roll Literacy Show.
More about Sigmund Brouwer...