Start by marking “Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  17,959 ratings  ·  336 reviews
Three modern fables in humorous pictures and verse. ...more
Library Binding, 96 pages
Published April 12th 1958 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
99th out of 3,101 books — 4,633 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
8th out of 1,228 books — 403 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Yertle

I had read many Dr. Seuss books over the years, since I am a huge fan of his work! Now, I had finally come back to one of my childhood favorite stories of all time, “Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories” and I still enjoy it to this very day!

There are a total of three stories in this book which includes “Yertle the Turtle,” “Gertrude McFuzz” and “The Big Brag.”

Yertle the Turtle

In this tale, Yertle the King of all the Turtles, wanted to have a throne where he could see everything from high above.
Billy
This was my favorite book when I was a child. I read it over and over again, memorizing every line, and taking in every lesson about vanity that Dr Seuss was teaching. As an adult I found a whole new appreciation for the book, as I learned that the character of Yertle was based on Adolph Hitler. Seuss used Yertle to demonstrate the rise of fascism in Europe, and show is distaste for it. In the final lines of the story Seuss's true intent comes out as he proclaims that all turtles and every creat ...more
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This is a children's book. I repeat, a children's book. Again, It. Is. A. Children's book. However, Dr. Seuss embodies Adolf Hitler's invasion of Europe using a turtle and a pond.
I KNOW!!! BRILLIANT!!! T_T
And it's poetic too!

Here's a part of an article from Wikipedia about the book:

"Seuss has stated that the titular character Yertle represented Adolf Hitler, with Yertle's despotic rule of the pond and takeover of the surrounding area parallel to Hitler's regime in Germanyand invasion of various
Philip
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

I love it when Dr. Seuss gets preachy.

Now, I know my fair share of Dr. Seuss books, but for some reason I'd never heard of Yertle the Turtle until a colleague of mine said I should read it when I teach governments next year.

To that colleague: thanks a lot. I just might do that. In fact, I might do that this year as a little review.

Yertle is the absolute monarch defined. It's his power becoming absolute and corrupting. It's his greed. It's his fall from the top.

He can be ha
TheBookofJules
Yesterday, I was babysitting my impossible-to-settle-down nephew. Bed time was drawing near and I feared that he would be a monster when I mentioned it. I wanted him to calm down enough that he'd accept his comforter imprisonment with little to no argument, so I grabbed this book randomly off his shelf and sat down to read.

First, I was reading to the air. The next thing I know, Kaeden had settled in next to me, half watching the TV and half looking at the book. When I'd stop reading, he'd say, "
Dolly
Oct 23, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Great stories by Dr. Seuss that are relevant to adults as well as children. The concepts of not making yourself better at the expense of others and the idea that you are not necessarily better than someone else or that you should be happy with who you are are fundamental lessons everyone should take to heart.
Samantha Penrose
Dec 13, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: kids-books
Be kind to others.
Be happy with yourself just the way you are. Dont try to be someone you are not. Dont be greedy.
Be humble.

I just LOVELOVELOVE this one! I cant believe that I dont own a copy!
Shala Howell
Stories are still a bit on the long side for my 4 month old, but she's a trooper and stayed with me until almost the end of the Yertle the Turtle story -- fidgeting only when the story became, in her opinion, two pages too long. This is one we'll definitely pull off the shelf again when she's older.
Travis
Nice collection of short stories from the good Doctor. Each has a little moral, but so entertaining it never feels preachy.

Matthew Hunter
Dr. Seuss the revolutionary! Man Yertle the Turtle's some good stuff. I'll let the master tell his own story beginning from the point where Yertle threatens to stack thousands of turtles one on top of the other so that, from atop the stack, he can become king of everything he surveys:
But, as Yertle, the Turtle King, lifted his hand
And started to order and give the command,
That plain little turtle below in the stack,
That plain little turtle whose name was just Mack,
Decided he’d taken enough. And
Sarah Sammis
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories has three short stories, one against fascism, one against jealousy and one against bragging. The two my kids enjoy reading most are the first and third, "Yertle the Turtle" and "The Big Brag."

Back when Theodor Geisel was working as a political cartoonist, he drew an anti Hitler cartoon showing a stack of turtles in a V-shape. The caption said "You can't build a substantial V out of turtles!" You can see it reproduced in Dr. Seuss Goes to War by by Richard H. M
Dianna
This book contains three stories:

Yertle the Turtle , a story about a turtle king whose ambitions turn a little too high; Gertrude McFuzz , who is jealous of her friend's tail and gets herself into a mess because of it, and The Big Brag , a story about two animals who argue about who is best, ending with a very wise worm.

---

The message of these stories is to be content with what you are and have—that you are special the way you are and that there's no need to do silly things or to argue about it.
Carson
Put simply, Dr. Seuss is brilliant. And Yertle the Turtle is just another testament to that. Yertle tells the story of a turtle who was king of the pond, but wanted to rule even more. So Yertle commands turtles in his pond to stack on top of one another to boost him higher and higher. Never being satisfied, he demands that the turtles keep stacking despite the turtle's protests, until one turtle finally burps and sends the whole stack toppling down. This frees the turtles and they live their liv ...more
Cara
This was an excellent. Yet another Dr. Seuss book that I'd never heard of until I picked it up off the shelf.
There were three books in one: Yertle the Turtle, Gertrude McFuzz and The Big Brag.
Yertle the Turtle was about King Yertle who wanted to rule over everything he saw so he made all the other turtles stack on one another. Even then his eyes were bigger than his brain because he tried to get taller than the moon. Of course his throne of turtles crumbled and he was left with nothing but mud,
Tammy Emmert
Yertle The Turtle presents what Dr. Seuss does so well -- Reaching kids with good morality tales that are fun and easy to commit to memory. The three lessons (Don't be greedy, be happy with how you look, and don't try to one-up each other)are well presented in a format that's fun and leads easily to discussion.
The art is fun, as always, and the poems clever. This is my favorite of all the Dr. Seuss books!

Dr. Seuss
Theodor Seuss Geisel (/ˈɡaɪzəl/; March 2, 1904 – September 24, 1991) was an America
elissa
I remember reading this one at my grandma's house, and also at my house growing up. I read it over and over. My favorite of the longer Seuss books, and my younger son says that he likes it a lot, too. It has 3 separate stories. Yertle is the king of all that he can see, so he makes other turtles pile up so he can stand on their backs (I read somewhere that this story was Seuss's commentary about Hitler).
Robert
Dr. Seuss' Yertle the Turtle uses a clever rhyme scheme that grabs the interest to the reader. The reader can follow along very well with the story, with the use of words and pictures. Dr. Seuss shows the power craving king, wanting to go higher and higher not caring about the other turtles. Once he gets up in the air and feels the power, he suddenly wants more to get that feeling again. It doesn't matter about the other turtles, he is the king of the world he thinks, only for the time being. Fo ...more
Stephanie
This one is another Seuss gem, though not quite on par with Horton and Places, in my opinion. I read "Yertle the Turtle" to my students and they came up with "Don't be greedy" and "Treat others like you want to be treated" as morals of the story. Fun and short.
Erik Graff
Jul 22, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children & their friends
Recommended to Erik by: Mrs. Kimble
Shelves: literature
Yertle the Turtle is a tale of the megalomania of leadership, false consciousness, ensuing class oppression and the revolutionary role of the proletariat told and illustrated by the inspired labor artist, Theodor Seuss Geisel.

God knows, it changed my life!
Eileen
HAD TO ACT OUT A LAWSUIT, THE TURTLES BACKS WERE BROKEN... I WAS THE ONE WITH THE BROKEN BACK... IN 4TH GRADE, OR SOMETHING!!! TO GET KIDS INTERESTED IN LAW?!? THIS BOOK HELPED ME TO FIND MY INNER TURTLE, SOMETHING ALL OF US MUST SOMETIME IN LIFE ACCOMPLISH.
Vicky Hunt
If I told you all the thinks I could think after re-reading these three of Theodor Geisel's children's books... it would probably include a spoiler. So, I will just say I laughed and laughed. I borrowed this one from the Kindle lending Library because I wanted to re-read Yertle the Turtle, specifically, which I first read about four and a half decades ago when I first learned to read. But, reading Gertrude McFuzz and The Big Brag was the most fun. And, of course you see them differently as an ad ...more
Beth
Long before a man yelled off a boat destined to sink in a best-selling movie, Yertle the Turtle proclaimed that "I'm king of the trees!" And it didn't stop there and that's why he fell and became King of the Mud pond.
Gail
Not my favorite of the Seuss books. Yertle is pretty evil. Also not quite sure about Gertrude McFuzz.
Jeannie
Another masterpiece by Dr. Seuss! I just LOVE his rhythm and the lessons he teaches with so much impact!
Ellie
Jan 02, 2011 Ellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, parents & anyone who still likes Seuss
Shelves: dr-seuss
What's not to love? (If you like Seuss, that is)
Justin
Don't be Hitler.
Grant Cooper
Yertle the Turtletells the tale of the power craving king cares about only having his own benefit. He wants to keep climbing higher and higher. Once he gets up in the air, he is enlightened with power and begins to create more, not minding the other turtles. The lesson to be learned from this story is that too much pride can get you in trouble and you need to be considerate of your surroundings. Likewise, you need to stand up for yourself and that you can make it through even the worst of lows. ...more
David Ward
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss (Random House 1958)(Fiction - Children's) is my favorite of all of the wonderful selections from Dr. Seuss, and the story of Yertle the Turtle is only one of three wonderful tales in this book! What do the three stories have in common? They are all about braggarts who thought that they were better than anybody else finally getting what they deserved. Dr. Seuss gives it to them in spades!

In the first story, "Yertle the Turtle", Yertle, king of th
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Surely "'bout two hundred" stacked turtles should make it into the GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS.... And Yertle had the single-minded vision to ensure his record was nearly uncontestable by stacking "'bout five thousand, six hundred and seven" turtles. Focus and determination such as this is are admirable qualities which should be encouraged in our children so they can all become elite sportspeople and entrepreneurs...

Wait... that was the moral that everyone else is talking about isn't it?

As us
Robert
These three stories all deal with pride.

Yertle ruled the pond. But he wanted a bigger kingdom so he had the other turtle lift him up. The higher he went, the larger the kingdom he had to rule. Those on the bottom began to complain about the work involved in keeping Yertle up. Yertle was not complimentary.

Eventually, the tower of turtles collapsed. Yertle is now king of mud. :)

Apparently ol' Dr. Seuss wrote this about Adolph Hitler. Interesting . . .

Next up was the vain Gertrude McFuzz who wan
  • Mister Seahorse
  • Cowardly Clyde
  • Zen Ties
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax

“And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.” 590 likes