Start by marking “Love Poems and Sonnets” as Want to Read:
Love Poems and Sonnets

Love Poems and Sonnets

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,411 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
The greatest sonnets ever written, by the greatest poet and playwright in the English language--now in a handsome edition featuring exquisite color illustrations.
Published October 3rd 1957 by Doubleday (first published 1609)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems and Sonnets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems and Sonnets

Ahmad Sharabiani
Jan 12, 2016 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it it was amazing
Love Poems and Sonnets, William Shakespeare
Maricarmen Estrada M
Mar 23, 2016 Maricarmen Estrada M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I truly enjoyed reading these remarkable sonnets. It was a difficult read because I'm not used to read poetry. And also the old language was at times difficult to understand. I have to say that I learned new vocabulary, which I do love, even though sometimes it slowed me down or made me read a verse more than twice.
I took my time to read these sonnets in the past few months. They were like a special treat you give yourself after a delicious meal, a truffle, or a Belgian chocolate.
The mastery of
GoldGato
It would be rather silly of me to review these Shakespearean poems. The language is magnificent, and I don't really get involved in the 'shadiness' of the Fair Youth. It's enough that I've had the joy of reading these eloquent demonstrations of love and yearning, one of those a-ha confirmations of life's beauty.

This specific volume is an oldie, being printed in 1901. I have almost killed it, resulting in bookcover surgery. The publishers included a lovely little glossary plus a preface to each w
Robert Palmer
As with most Americans, I was first introduced to Shakespeare while in high school, where I read several of his plays and a few of his sonnets. Then, in college, I became very interested in his poetry, and so I read all of his sonnets and love poems. Reading his sonnets inspired me to write poetry, and over my college career, I wrote 20 sonnets to my girlfriend. I mention this not because I believe that the sonnets I wrote are comparable, but only to demonstrate that Shakespeare's sonnets so mov ...more
Jessica
May 28, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the sonnets was an entirely different experience than I had anticipated. I often had to re-read a poem three or four times before the meaning finally revealed itself. That wasn't the unexpected part, however. I was surprised by the similarity of the sonnets. For example, at least ten of the first sonnets deal solely with trying to convince a beautiful young man that he should have children in order to ensure that his beauty never dies. Sometimes, it was like, "Okay, Will, I GET IT, the g ...more
Simon
Dec 09, 2011 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like the plays, I understand them. I just couldn't do this. I'm not a poet and I have not the talent in the field of old English either. I shant be bothered by such ridiculous devianceies.

I'll stick to your stories Will.
Angela Alcorn
The complete works of Shakespeare (including all the plays, sonnets and poems) are available free to read/download/print here:
Eric Phetteplace
Sep 07, 2007 Eric Phetteplace rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Potent homoeroticism and a few good ending couplets salvage this otherwise mediocre work of stale verse.
Jeana
Jul 28, 2009 Jeana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading these sonnets--I definitely enjoyed some of them more than others.
Andrew Wright
Jan 21, 2014 Andrew Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
When people are sufficiently stupid and/or uninformed, or when they're swept passionately along on the tide of anti-white, anti-male, anti-hetero, anti-euro sentiment that's become so chic in academia, they like to say "Well clearly Shakespeare was noble/gay/bi/a woman." Afterwards they typically trundle out the specious evidence that the majority of the sonnets were all written, quite clearly, to a man. Apparently they didn't see fit to read the entirety of the sonnets, or even perhaps any of t ...more
joan
Jan 24, 2015 joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unless this general evil you maintain, that all men are bad, and in their badness reign, surely you'd give this collection 5 stars?
Scott Hastie
Feb 14, 2015 Scott Hastie rated it it was amazing
No writer who has ever lived can lodge better claim to have found his own true voice and bought it to full flower..
Cynthia Fletcher
I am very familiar with his plays, but did not have much exposure to his sonnets. Loved them!
Anas Disi
Jul 29, 2014 Anas Disi rated it really liked it
His sonnets are my Bible.
eman fahim
Apr 30, 2014 eman fahim rated it it was amazing
you have to read it
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a very definite reason that some of Shakespeare's sonnets are recognizable by the completion of the first line, whereas with others, you could hear the whole thing and not have any idea who wrote it (or what it was about). Some of the sonnets are very nice, but on the whole, I didn't care for them very much. The epic poems where more interesting to me (The Rape of Lucrece and Venus and Adonis).
Josh
Mar 16, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how anybody can give these anything lower than 5 stars; the writing is beautiful, yet concise and to the point with a sonnet per page - as the book contains all of his sonnets it's possible to trace Shakespeare's development as a writer and lover himself. The sonnets themselves are so iconic and the imagery so vivid that they are well worth the read!
Hilary
Jan 27, 2008 Hilary rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Shakespeare's sonnets are some of the most complex poetry I've ever read. I could read a few of the same sonnets forever, and not get the whole picture. Without a doubt, however, my favorite is like Marianne Dashwood's, 116, "Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments…"
Tori
Apr 23, 2008 Tori rated it did not like it
I'd rather die than read poetry, which I already knew. This just reinforced it even further. Another forced read because I was tutoring a high school senior in English. And reading love poems and sonnets with an emo kid is even worse than reading them on your own.
Elise
Jan 24, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it
My mom has a masters in English, and teaches high school AP English. I would be disowned if i did not read William Shakespeare! These are classics!
Alyssa Haverfield
Jan 31, 2015 Alyssa Haverfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Obviously, all if these are beautiful. He can only speak, breathe and think of his love.
Angie
Nov 28, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing
I love these poems and I would pick them to take if I had to go to a desert island - along with the plays. They are, of course, meaningful, beautifully written, ironic and profound in many ways and make me think of things and people I love when I read them.
Robert
Oct 25, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd skimmed over the sonnets before without much interest, but the latest Folger edition places this in context of Shakespeare's life, establishes the consistency of the collection as a whole and makes them far more readable than I had thought.
Koolmom84
Jul 05, 2009 Koolmom84 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who likes to go back in time (and think about just having time to read) will enjoy this book even if the poems are not easily understood. I like to spend my time trying to figure out their meaning.
Cingashe Nogaya
Oh wow - someone just got me to remember all of this - i left it behind in HS, but his reciting of sonnet 29 - got me diving back into Shakespeare. I can relate to some of his work, eternal romantic ? ahhhhh.
Ariella
Jan 20, 2010 Ariella rated it it was amazing
One of Shakespeare's less known works, but really truly powerful. Not only do the poems talk of love, lust, and relationships, but they go deep into values and the fundamentals for finding love.
Amanda Wulf
Jun 30, 2015 Amanda Wulf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love Shakespeare's sonnets. I read the first one hundred in this reading. I want to come back at a later point, start over from the beginning, and read all of them in depth.
Azra
Dec 09, 2009 Azra rated it really liked it
shall i compare thee to a summers day
even more lovely and more template
and rough winds do shake the darling budds of may
and summers leath hath all to short adate ..
Erick
Jan 10, 2008 Erick rated it it was amazing
Thinking of the PERFECT words to say during your wedding? This book will guide you! His sonnets are roughly one page in length but each one will leave you speechless. See #44
 Barb Bailey
Jun 09, 2009 Barb Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Unfortunately when I got this book of poetry from the library it was very damaged......with pages cut up and sonnets missing. It rather put me off and I did not finish this book.
  • The Rape of the Lock and Other Poems
  • Ain't I a Woman! A Book of Women's Poetry from Around the World
  • Jabberwocky and Other Poems
  • Helen in Egypt
  • AnOther E.E. Cummings
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.” 75 likes
“So are you to my thoughts as food to life, or as sweet seasoned showers are to the ground.” 16 likes