Start by marking “Great Pioneer Women Of The Outback” as Want to Read:
Great Pioneer Women Of The Outback

Great Pioneer Women Of The Outback

FROM THE 1800s TO THE ONSET OF WORLD WAR I, PIONEERS MAKING THEIR HOMES IN OUTBACK AUSTRALIA WERE JOINED BY THEIR WIVES, MANY OF WHOM HAD NO IDEA OF THE DIFFICULTIES AND DANGERS AHEAD.

These women encountered conditions which would test their resilience and resourcefulness to the utmost: relentless heat, dust and isolation; hostile wildlife; no medical facilities; and never
Published May 25th 2005 by HarperCollins - AU (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Great Pioneer Women Of The Outback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Pioneer Women Of The Outback

Janelle
Mikki
Jan 27, 2015 Mikki rated it really liked it
Fascinating true stories, brought about by a tremendous amount of research. Life was so incredibly hard in every outback region of Australia. But it was interesting to learn of the differences in soil types, weather, and aboriginal culture in each area. Some things were constant for all the women: isolation, deprivation, resourcefulness, and grit.
Penny
Apr 19, 2015 Penny rated it liked it
Fascinating. These women endured so much hardship. My ancestors pioneered in less harsher areas of Australia but I imagine they faced similar issues from time to time. Distressing to think of the high infant mortality and enduring pregnancy and birth in such times and places.
Stephanie Kratzmann
Aug 16, 2008 Stephanie Kratzmann rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book really interesting. It gave a "woman's face" to the early settlers in Australia. I learnt a little bit about our history, a little bit about true struggles and gained a HUGE appreciation for the women how settled Australia.
Debbie Lamb
Apr 28, 2016 Debbie Lamb rated it really liked it
I cannot imagine how hard life was for these women in that era. It made me feel deeply grateful for what I have at my fingertips today that we take for granted. The grit and stoic attitude of these women beggars belief. Brilliant history lesson.
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Chrissie Edwards
Chrissie Edwards rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Penny Wilson
Penny Wilson rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Sharon Robards
Sharon Robards rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Trish
Trish rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2014
Cath
Cath rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Any Length
Any Length rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Kate Jenian
Kate Jenian rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Charmaine O'Sullivan
Charmaine O'Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2017
Nicole Kranzler-gacke
Nicole Kranzler-gacke rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Sophie Vining
Sophie Vining rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Hazel Edwards
Hazel Edwards rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2011
Venetia
Venetia rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2009
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Zakgirl
Zakgirl rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Evrim
Evrim rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2017
Beegirl
Beegirl rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Sandy King
Sandy King rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
CottageTails
CottageTails rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Eloise
Eloise rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Kylie
Kylie rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
(From 'Blue Ribbons Bitter Bread')
SUSANNA DE VRIES is an art historian who has now retired from lecturing at the Continuing Education Department of the University of Queensland. She was born in London and attended the Sorbonne in Paris and the University of Madrid. She came to Australia in 1975, has been the recipient of a Churchill Fellowship and has written extensively on art history, both here
More about Susanna de Vries...