Start by marking “First, Body: Stories” as Want to Read:
First, Body: Stories

First, Body: Stories

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Winner of the 1997 Whiting Writers' Award
One of Granta's "Best Young American Novelists"
Published April 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about First, Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First, Body

TK421
Oh where or where should I start? Should I talk about how depressing each story is? Or should I rave how wonderful Melanie Rae Thon uses words and descriptions and settings and characters to convey the perfect emotion, never going overboard, never under utilizing her talents? We’ll come back to both of those issues in a moment.

As Amanda mentioned earlier to me, the Literary Gods have been blessing me with some really amazing reads as of late. The most recent LET THE NORTHERN LIGHTS ERASE YOUR N...more
Joshua
I have a literary crush on Melanie Thon. She writes like an angel. Sid's moment with Gloria Luby in the collection's title story is one of my all-time favorite scenes.
Kimberly Rhoten
One of the best books I've ever read. Brutally honest. Beautiful writing style. I couldn't stop rereading each story (esp first, body).
Janet
Profound, rough, human, stunning
dara
Nov 26, 2008 dara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to dara by: Holly, but because she didn't like it and wanted my opinion
I read this because Holly read and didn't like it. She found the stories confusing and wanted my opinion. Overall, the stories were more than decent--better than the average, but without being especially memorable. (It probably didn't help any that I've read a lot of short stories lately and was prepared to take a break from them for awhile when Holly pushed this collection on me.) I didn't have much trouble understanding the stories after the first one, which made more sense to me in retrospect...more
Laura Neu

This book is stunning. Melanie Rae Thon's prose is tight, her use of words is seamless. The language is vivid, fierce, and breathtakingly powerful. Thon writes with a kind of fluidity and lyricism I have never before seen outside of poetry. These stories are raw humanity. Each warrants multiple close readings, and every time I read them I pulled something new. The characters are sympathetic, their roles, decisions, and trials are real. Thon leaves no stone of human nature unturned, and hides beh...more
Krysten
HOLY GOD these stories are painfully beautiful.

I'm outraged that I never heard of Melanie Rae Thon until this summer, when my husband read "Xmas, Jamaica Plain" for a class. He told me to read it, and it left me in ruins, so obviously I had to find the book it's from.

There is no justice in the universe. Writing this good actually exists. People this talented are real. And they're not the authors you've heard of. Outrageous.

These stories are brutal and raw yet subtle and lovely and they are so g...more
Roy Kesey
The title story, overwhelmingly good, dense as diamond, lyrical, heart-stabbing. Continuing good throughout, though occasionally repetitive in tricks and phrasing. And I'd swear “Xmas, Jamaica Plain” has been reworked from the BASS version--the extraordinary jagged edges feel slightly rounded off. Still and all, awfully good.
Kenny Chaffin
Feb 03, 2013 Kenny Chaffin marked it as to-read
I just read the title story of this collection in the Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction 1999 and man was I blown away. Enough to look her up and to read "Letters in the Snow" in the 2006 O Henry Awards. I love what I found in these two stories! And am looking forward to reading more of her work!

Ursula
great story collection. unfortunately someone had ripped out a few pages so I didn't get to finish all the stories completely. very powerful writing. I'd be interested to read more of this author to see whether she always rights about the same subject matter.
Kami
Probably the best book of short stories I've read. I learn so much from her about specificity, subtly, and the careful use of language.
Angela
A wonderful short story collection. These stark and honest stories will cut to the bone and leave a scar.
Derek Sillerud
Great collection of stories. Well-written and each unique in their style and characters.
Joe Wilkins
Disturbing. The language here is as gorgeous and haunting as I've ever come across.
Diana
Oct 23, 2008 Diana added it
I love this collection -- heartbreaking and breathtaking and brutal.
Elise
Jul 21, 2008 Elise marked it as to-read
Recommended by Aimee Bender.
Kimberly Wilbanks
Kimberly Wilbanks marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Caitlin Kennedy
Caitlin Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rachel Hug
Rachel Hug marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
KH
KH added it
Jun 06, 2014
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Tahni
Tahni marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Melanie Rae Thon is a Professor of English at the University of Utah.
More about Melanie Rae Thon...
Iona Moon: A Novel Sweet Hearts Girls in the Grass In This Light: New and Selected Stories The Voice of the River: A Novel