Start by marking “Heart of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Heart of Darkness

Read Book* *Different edition

Heart of Darkness

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  267,684 Ratings  ·  8,422 Reviews
Joseph Conrad's enduring portrait of the ugliness of colonialism

Heart of Darknessis the thrilling tale of Marlow, a seaman and wanderer recounting his physical and psychological journey in search of the infamous ivory trader Kurtz. Traveling upriver into the heart of the African continent, he gradually becomes obsessed by this enigmatic, wraith-like figure. Marlow's discov
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 192 pages
Published August 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Darkness, please sign up.

Abhishek I'm afraid not. This isn't your usual page-turner. The book is layered, even allegorical in most verses. The experience of the first half of the book…moreI'm afraid not. This isn't your usual page-turner. The book is layered, even allegorical in most verses. The experience of the first half of the book was rather draining, and the second half moved faster.
I recommend not to read this as a story, but as an essay. It might change how you understand it.(less)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Penguin Classics
62nd out of 367 books — 106 voters
Blood River by Tim ButcherThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniWe Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip GourevitchWild Swans by Jung ChangNothing to Envy by Barbara Demick
Plight of a Nation
86th out of 227 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Sonanova
Jul 10, 2007 Sonanova rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who enjoys a good tenth level of hell
Proving yet again that doing a concept first will get you immortalized, while doing it WELL will make you an unknown and forgotten writer at best, I also learned that in Conrad's time, people could drone on and on with metaphors and it wasn't considered cliched, but "art." I blame this book and others like it for some of the most painful literature created by students and professional writers alike.

It was like raking my fingernails across a chalkboard while breathing in a pail of flaming cat hai
Richard
Jul 22, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone: required reading.
First of all, get this straight: Heart of Darkness is one of those classics that you have to have read if you want to consider yourself a well-educated adult. That’s the bad news; the good news is that this is a very easy book to read — tremendously shorter than Moby-Dick , for instance. And the prose is easy to swallow, so you don’t really have an excuse.

Having watched Apocalypse Now doesn’t count — if anything, it ups the ante, since that means you have to think about the similariti
Sarah Fisher
Dec 03, 2013 Sarah Fisher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never in all my life has 100 little pages made me contemplate suicide...violent suicide. i had to finish it. i had no choice (yay college!). every page was literally painful.

am i supposed to feel sorry for him? because i don't. i feel sorry for all of Africa getting invaded with dumbasses like this guy. oh and in case you didn't get it...the "heart of darkness" is like this super deep megametaphor of all metaphors. and in case it wasn't clear enough, conrad will spend many many useless words cle
Jenny Zhang
Apr 10, 2007 Jenny Zhang rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This guy's message is so subtle: Africans are depraved/we are all depraved/since I don't care about black people I'm going to let them serve as a metaphor for the depravity of human existence/I like writing sentences that yawn with the utter boredom of pretension, pomp, and waste/I have no heart/that's why I had to put the word heart in the title, etc, etc, etc.

Where's the negative one million stars option, again?
Megha
Mar 21, 2009 Megha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

It was a breathtaking read. There are few books which make such a powerful impression as 'Heart of darkness' does. Written more than a century ago, the book and its undying theme hold just as much significance even today. Intense and compelling, it looks into the darkest recesses of human nature. Conrad takes the reader through a horrific tale in a very gripping voice.

I couldn't say enough about Conrad's mastery of prose. Not a single word is out of place. Among several things, I liked Marlow ex
Riku Sayuj
Apr 06, 2015 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tanuj Solanki

Revisiting The Heart of Darkness

After passing past that Castle of Ego,

Laying siege on the very borders of Mind,

We entered the vast and bristling forests,

Of that strange, strange land, that Id,

Which doth divide the knowing, waking,

From the land of dreaming, unknowing.

But this way is much too hard to follow;

And is harder even to describe to you:

We are more likely here to perish,

Here in these vast, dense hinterlands;

For these woods that we see arrayed,

Has never previously been crossed,

By mortal men
Rakhi Dalal
“ Mistah Kurtz. He dead.”
-T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

He came, he saw, he conquered – and then he succumbed and died. Mistah Kurtz. An enigma, who ultimately came to signify the gloomy reality of sin, which closely lurks in the minds of mortal beings and keeps ready to pounce upon the heart and to sink it into darkness at the mere hint of viciousness. Which impatiently awaits the weak moments of vanity, false notions and fickleness to take over control and let humanity die a grief death of hopeles
Bookworm Sean
Feb 23, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Every reader
Is Joseph Conrad a racist?

Well, that is a question, a question that is extremely difficult to answer. There are certainly racist aspects within Heart of Darkness. However, how far this is Conrad’s own personal opinion is near impossible to tell. Certainly, Marlowe, the protagonist and narrator, has some rather patronising notions as to how the Africans should be treated, and the image of the colonised is one of repression and servitude, but does this reflect Conrad’s own opinions? How far can
Markus
May 10, 2016 Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2016
The reaches opened before us and closed behind, as if the forest had stepped leisurely across the water to bar the way for our return. We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness. It was very quiet there.

Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness is one of those books that everyone has been told to read. Whether by a teacher, a relative or even a friend, chances are you’ve had this book shoved down your throat in one way or another.

I started reading it expecting a classic that would land
George Bradford
Apr 19, 2008 George Bradford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: truth, villains
When I was a child, my father caught me frowning at a very small gift wrapped package I'd received. The dashed hopes for a larger package were broadcast across my face.

"Dynamite comes in small packages." My father counseled me. The literal and figurative truth of this statement has revealed itself throughout my life.

This story is specifically relevant to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It is a small book. (Surprisingly small.) And it is pure dynamite. (Super powerful dynamite!)

Conrad later wr
Lyn
This is one of my all time favorite books, I've read it many times.

“We live in the flicker -- may it last as long as the old earth keeps rolling! But darkness was here yesterday.”

Marlow is not just a narrator or an alter ego of Conrad, but a universal everyman, timeless. And that, to me, is the greatest appeal of this book, it is timeless.

“Like a running blaze on a plain, like a flash of lightning in the clouds. We live in the flicker.”

The scene of Marlow sitting Buddha like as the Thames drea
J.G. Keely
Like contemporaries Haggard and Melville, Joseph Conrad lived the adventures he wrote. He left his native Ukraine to escape the political persecution of his family and became a merchant marine in France, sailing to the West Indies and gun-running for a failed Spanish coup. Soon after, he learned English and became a british citizen, eventually attaining the position of Master Mariner. Had his story ended there, he might have become merely a footnote in history: a successful seaman and minor writ ...more
Annie
Nov 27, 2015 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

The dark masses had begun to congregate. Branches thumping against the glass and iron bars, in rhythm to some obscure, some lost song of the wild. The tendrils of darkness that took birth in the vacuums that the sun's warmth had just forsaken, had started their ascent :first shy, then bold, then complete. And when their majesty was absolute; pieces of the night sky, shining almost silver in the blackness met the pools of shades offered by the oozing earth with a coy surrender.

I opened a window.

Jr Bacdayan
Jul 03, 2015 Jr Bacdayan rated it really liked it
Picture Review of Heart of Darkness

Visual Key:

White Man named Michael Cera – represents Imperialism

Sunset – shows the impending darkness that is latently inside man

Sea – represents the Congo River

Moustache – represents author Joseph Conrad who also has his own impressive facial hair

Red Bonnet – is a horrible choice of headwear thus might prompt one to remark "the horror! the horror!" which is also Kurtz' last words
Michalyn
Jan 10, 2008 Michalyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is a book I read twice and will probably never read again. I try to see this as a "great" novel but I have always wished Conrad had achieved a greater separation between his own voice and Marlow's. For me his inability to do so made it difficult to stomach the inherent racism in the book. The passage that will always stick out in my mind is the one in which the narrator muses that an educated black man is as "unnatural" as a dog putting on clothes and walking on its hindlegs.

That said, I do
Leslie
Jun 18, 2008 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know as an English major I am supposed to find this work brilliant and important, but I just don't. I hate it. I hated it the first time I read it, the second time I read it, AND the third time I read it.
Ian Not His Real Name
Ship of Fools

The narrator of the framing story tells us early on who is present on board a yacht sitting immobile in the Thames (a river of commerce and pleasure!): the Company Director, the Lawyer, the Accountant, Charlie Marlow, and the unnamed narrator himself.

The narrator seems to represent us, the audience. Marlow does the talking. The group could almost be the executive that runs a trading company, although what unites them is the bond of the sea:

"Besides holding our hearts together throug
Richard Derus
Book Circle Reads 19

Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: More than a century after its publication (1899),Heart of Darkness remains an indisputably classic text and arguably Conrad's finest work.

This extensively revised Norton Critical Edition includes new materials that convey nineteenth-century attitudes toward imperialism as well as the concerns of Conrad's contemporaries about King Leopold's exploitation of his African domain. New to the Fourth Edition are excerpts from Adam Hochschild's r
Traveller
Jan 20, 2016 Traveller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people seem to think that this story is just about racism, but that is missing the main point. It is true that much of Conrad's fiction seems racist in tone, but one must take that from whence it comes; he was writing at a time when European Colonialism, (and sadly racism too) was in full swing. It is of course inevitable that writers will reflect some of the mores of their era, and also that some writers will examine the prevailing mores and comment on them.

However, the inner message of th
Edward
Jan 06, 2015 Edward rated it it was amazing
Acknowledgements
Chronology
Introduction to 'Heart of Darkness'
Introduction to 'The Congo Diary'
Further Reading
A Note on the Texts
Map of the River Congo

--Heart of Darkness
--The Congo Diary

Appendix: Author's Note (1917)
Notes
Glossary of Nautical Terms
midnightfaerie
Dec 29, 2012 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is an inspiring piece of work, worthy of some of its criticisms but also of its often listed as a classic piece of literature. Taking place mostly in Africa, it tells the story of Europeans going to the Congo in search of goods to bring back, mostly ivory. They do this in the name of "Imperialism", but Conrad makes it very clear from the beginning that there is no civilization creation going on. Through corruption and exploitation of the blacks, the Europea ...more
Paul
There is so much hype about this book and it is so reviewed, quoted and revered; so much part of the literary canon; that a more measured and considered read may not seem possible. It has helped to read some background material first; some from the period and relating to imperialism in Africa and also Achebe’s pertinent and succinct critique.
This is quite a brief novella without a great deal of substance. It starts with the trope of a group of men telling tales; almost like a Victorian ghost st
Laysee
Feb 03, 2011 Laysee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
The Heart of Darkness is a slim novel that belies the immense profundity it reveals about human nature. I re-read it after many years and understood again why it left me sober, tearful and broken when the last page was turned. Marlow, the seaman narrator, told the story of his journey into the heart of the African interior and his encounter with the natives and most notably, Kurtz, the ivory agent, a much revered white man. To me, the journey into the heart of darkness is the unraveling of what ...more
Diamond Cowboy
Jan 23, 2016 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I would recommend it to all. I will give a full review a little later.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Apatt
Apr 09, 2016 Apatt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
My third reading of this novella and I don't even particularly like it.

The first time I read Heart of Darkness was in my teens, at the time, I found Conrad's writing to be completely impenetrable and had to give up after about 50 pages worth of struggling. The second time was a few years ago, it was still a struggle but I stuck with it through to the bitter. I still felt like I missed quite a lot of what the author wanted to communicate and planned to get back to it again. So here we are!

On the
Traveller
Jan 16, 2015 Traveller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-by-men

However, the inner message of th
Kim
May 23, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

Once again I change my mind about a book I didn't like very much the first time I read it more than thirty-five years ago. Even then I appreciated that it was a signficant literary work, but I didn't respond to it emotionally. If anything, it struck me as a dull.

This time around, my reaction was quite different. I didn't find it dull at all. Rather, I found the experience very powerful, both intellectually and emotionally. Part of that may be due to the fact that over the years I've experienced
Ahmad Sharabiani
780. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
دل تاریکی - جوزف کنراد (نیلوفر) ادبیات
در ایران بزرگوارانی چون: «صالح حسینی»، «کیومرث پارسای»، «احمد میرعلائی»، «حسن افشار» و «پرویز داریوش»، به ترجمه آثار «جوزف کنراد» پرداخته اند، کتاب «دل تاریکی» در سالهای آغازین قرن بیستم ـ 1902 ـ نوشته شده، و در ایران در سال 1380 برای دومین بار چاپ شده است. چاپ نخست آن به روایتی در سال 1364 منتشر شده است، در داستان فراموش نشدنی «کنراد»، «مارلو»، ملوان سرگردان، داستان سفر مرموز «کرتز» و حال جسمی و روحی خود را، طی سفر به قل
Paul Bryant
Sep 30, 2011 Paul Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels

CELEBRITY DEATH MATCH review for Round 2

“Anything approaching the change that came over his features I have never seen before, and hope never to see again. It was as though a veil had been rent. I saw on that furry visage the expression of somber pride, of ruthless power, of craven terror — of an intense and hopeless despair. He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath—

“‘The honey! The honey!’

“I blew the candle out and left the c
Catching up on Cl...: Heart of Darkness Discussion SPOILERS 26 110 Jun 23, 2016 02:20PM
Catching up on Cl...: Heart of Darkness - Buddy Read for JUNE 2016 13 41 Jun 23, 2016 06:04AM
Books On Tap: Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" in pictures 1 8 Mar 04, 2016 08:41AM
Around the Year i...: Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad 10 49 Feb 09, 2016 04:10PM
Is Conrad a racist? 18 598 Dec 21, 2015 04:20PM
Classics Without ...: Imperialism metaphors [Spoilers] 3 30 Dec 05, 2015 06:59PM
  • A Bend in the River
  • 1919 (U.S.A., #2)
  • Death in Venice and Other Tales
  • The Good Soldier
  • Remembrance of Things Past: Volume I - Swann's Way & Within a Budding Grove
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 4th Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #10-12)
  • Finnegans Wake
  • The Alexandria Quartet  (The Alexandria Quartet #1-4)
  • Pan: From Lieutenant Thomas Glahn's Papers
  • The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
  • The Death of Ivan Ilych And Other Stories
  • Go Down, Moses
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
  • A Passage to India
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Br
More about Joseph Conrad...

“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.” 1809 likes