Start by marking “Bigger than Life: A Murder, a Memoir” as Want to Read:
Bigger than Life: A Murder, a Memoir

Bigger than Life: A Murder, a Memoir

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Nelson Gross led an outsized life—one in which he played many roles: father, brother, husband, politician, entrepreneur. When he was killed by a couple of teenagers in a botched abduction and robbery, the murder shook his family in predictable and terrible ways. For his daughter, Dinah Lenney, the parent of her own young children, the loss sparked a self-reckoning that led ...more
Published March 21st 2007 by University of Nebraska Press (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bigger than Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bigger than Life

Lisa Roney
I wanted to like this book more than I did, and I've been trying to sort out why it disappointed me at least a little bit. The book's starting point is the murder of the author's father, a former power-broker in Republican politics and restaurateur who was fairly remote in the author's life. Though the murder gives the author her cause for writing, she wasn't that close to her father and certainly not to his second wife and son by that marriage. The story focuses mainly on the ins and outs of he ...more
Esther Bradley-detally
I thought bigger than life a good book, it's about a murder, her father's and a memoir; and it all fit. I found her book because I went to Vroman's for a local reading of students from the Master of Professional Writing program at USC. Ms. Lenney is a member of the core faculty. she is co-author of Acting For Young Actors, and is on core faculty for Bennington Writing Seminars, and also the Rainier Writng Workshop. Dina Lenney is no slouch and she read from her latest book, which I hope will com ...more
Forty Something
As a non-American, I wasn't sure I'd like this book, which had been recommended to me by American friends. Turns out I couldn't put it down.

I enjoyed the clear, precise writing the most. Of course, Mr. Gross is at the center of the book, but many family members were terribly interesting too.

Just made me wonder, how do you tell such personal stories without alienating your family members, let alone not getting sued? I suppose Ms. Lenney must have made her peace with the potential consequences (
Superstition Review
Dinah Lenney’s Bigger Than Life: A Murder, A Memoir is both cleverly written and moving as she reflects on her father’s murder, the aftermath, and the complex relationships between the two father figures in her life—her biological father and her stepfather. Lenney uses a mix of present and past tense to both reflect on the events and take her audience back in time to the moments they occur, allowing readers to experience the events alongside her. The technique creates an emotional connection bet ...more
Leslie
Apr 24, 2015 Leslie marked it as to-read
Festival of Books 2015
Black Elephants
I couldn't help but think how brave the author was to explore her father's murder, the trial of his attackers, her emotions and the affect it had on her family in this novel. What I found even more interesting is the evolution in writing—this is the author's first novel, and I'm familiar with her work now. Her book is lovely and sincere, and it demonstrates how it laid the foundation for the writing skill that is of the present.
Robinvk
My highest praise is for the elegant structure of this book and its delicate weave of personal themes. I was impressed by the challenge the author took on, of deconstructing her psychic conflicts within the dramatic context of this awful incident, her father's murder. Lenney owns up to her own obsessions, and I had no trouble understanding them.
Donna
Strong literary voice. Great job capturing families in all their glory and messiness, the self-doubts we’re all susceptible to, the neediness, the narcissism, the grace, the goodness. Nicely structured with authentic and lively prose. An excellent read about grief and tragedy and being human.
Deborah
Today I finally admit I will never finish this book. Usually I am able to stick it out to the end; there's always *something* I want to find out about. Not this one. I loved Dinah Lenney in person, she's a vivacious, sparkling speaker. But this book - for the most part - does not reflect that.
Anne
Manages to tell a unique story while touching on many universal insights. Crisp writing.
Amy Kitchell-Leighty
This book is centered around the tragic event of her father's murder. Her father seemed extremely interesting but it was hard to connect with the daughter. It picked up around chapter 27, but was very slow until then.
Erika
Feb 02, 2008 Erika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with parents
Lenney is a beautiful, funny, deeply human writer. Though her story centers around an extraordinary event, it is full of details recognizable to anyone who has grown up in a mixed-up family.
Anika
If you're father is murdered, you probably have the makings of a memoir. But Lenney goes beyond the hype and gives a thoughtful look at both her life and her parents' lives.
Tina Schumann
Lenney teaches in my MFA program, a GREAT writer. If you are in to memoir this book is for you. Riviting, touching, insightful, and all told in wonderful language.
Anne
Good Memoir, especially in learning how to deal with a loss.
Giselle Rodriguez
In a word: brilliant. More thorough review to come.
Nicola Waldron
Brave and beautiful.
PWRL
Sep 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Christine Schindler
Christine Schindler marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Melissa Adkins
Melissa Adkins marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Rebecca Foster
Rebecca Foster marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Nina Messer
Nina Messer marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Alohadudenyc
Alohadudenyc marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dinah Lenney wrote Bigger than Life: A Murder, a Memoir, and co-authored Acting for Young Actors. Her prose has been published in many journals and anthologies, among them The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Review of Books, Agni, Creative Nonfiction, The Washington Post, The Kenyon Review, Ploughshares, and Brevity. She serves as core faculty for the Master of Professional ...more
More about Dinah Lenney...
The Object Parade: Essays Acting for Young Actors: The Ultimate Teen Guide My First Novel Becoming: What Makes a Woman Brief Encounters: A Collection of Contemporary Nonfiction