Start by marking “Nadia Knows Best” as Want to Read:
Nadia Knows Best

Nadia Knows Best

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  3,930 ratings  ·  213 reviews
Twenty-something Nadia is happily involved with long-term boyfriend Laurie when she is rescued from her broken-down car by Jay and ends up spending the night with him, entirely platonically - not that she isn't tempted, and who would know about it?
Published March 1st 2004 by Headline (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nadia Knows Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nadia Knows Best

Elizabeth
This is a definite low-point in Jill Mansell's work. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of her other books that I've read but this one just left me feeling blah.

It started with a lot of promise, a quirky family of interesting characters in addition to the typical heroine of chick-lit. But the main plot line, "will Nadia choose Jay or Laurie" dragged while all the other family shenanigans took place.

And there were shenanigans. The sister Claire was just plain mean and her possibly redeeming moment f
Suad Shamma
There were so many ways that story could have gone, but Jill Mansell decided to go with the silliest of plots.

The book started out with so much potential. I was immediately gripped and could not put the book down - that was until Laurie came back into the picture. Everything went downhill from there. To say the book is predictable would be an understatement, but the twists and turns that Mansell decided to take where, to be quite honest, absolutely ridiculous. I feel like she must have written t
Filipa
Feb 18, 2011 Filipa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Bem, com este livro consegui finalmente ultrapassar o pseudo-trauma que tive com esta autora por causa do final do livro A Felicidade Mora ao Lado.

Sinceramente , fiquei com receio que ela fizesses esses finais horrorosos em todos os livros. Espero que continue assim.
Então, depois de ler A Pensar em Ti e ainda este Irresistível Tentação, ainda bem que esta autora me conquistou de vez.

Ainda tenho por ler Doce Vingança e vou definitivamente comprar os outros 3 livros dela que me faltam.

Adorei esta
Amanda
Nadia is a twenty-something landscape gardener who we meet for the first time when she is stranded in the snow and rescued by Jay Tiernan, a rather gorgeous property developer. Despite sparks between them, Nadia does nothing because she is involved with The One - Laurie, a model. Predictably, soon after this Laurie dumps her and moves to America to pursue his modelling career. Also predictably, Nadia meets Jay again and is about to embark on a relationship with him when Laurie comes back into he ...more
Mafi
Ao principio estava a gostar muito mas depois...achei totalmente previsivel, sem graça, nem me ri (coisa que aconteceu muito com os outros livros, tava.me sempre a rir) achei este sem sal e irritou.me duas coisas:
A Clare que miuda mais miamada, nao gostei nada dela Arrghh!
a Miriam a tratar toda a gente por você, isso é mania á tia, nao tinha nada ver com a miriam que era uma fixe!
Gostei do Jay, da Nadia, da Tilly, do James e Annie
Mas fiquei muito desiludida com a autora...espero que os proximo
Carla Soares
Tinha ouvido opiniões sobre este livro, de quem já leu muitos da autora, apontando-o como o mais fraco e bastante irritante. Para mim foi uma estreia.
De facto, as persoanegns revelaram-se, aqui e ali, irritantes. Não percebo a razão de todas as decisões da personagem principal, mas a leitura foi rápida e suficientemente agradável. Parece-me que, auando me apetecer uma coisa mesmo leve, sou capaz de procurar outro livro dela.
Catia.borboleta Da Silva
Adorei este livro, e adorei como este terminou (literalmente). Não conseguia parar de rir. Muito bom mesmo :)))
Mais uma escritora que gostava de acompanhar.
Pallavi Subramanian
I wanted to like this book. I really did. But COME ON. The heroine is an idiot. Of the top order.

Normal people do not behave like her. The boyfriend-from-babyhood (or some such crap) dumps her so he can have meaningless sex. Months later he comes back (after having had ALL the meaningless sex he could have had apparently) and She. Doesn't. KICK. His. Ass. Even though she has the hero stringing along. Mind you, the hero is no better. He is also an idiot. He doesn't show or tell her his interest -
Serena
In Nadia Knows Best by Jill Mansell, the Kinsella family is far from conventional with a mother, Leonie who skips out on her husband and two daughters, Nadia and Clare, and drops another daughter, Tilly, off with her former husband James years later. Living with their high-brow grandmother, Miriam, Nadia and Clare are mostly well-adjusted young women sorting out their own lives, while their youngest sister, Tilly, is just 13 and still looking for her place in the family.

With Mansell readers know
Ne
À semelhança de Amores Proibidos, mas com menos erros, este romance foi um tanto confuso. Jill Mansell mais uma vez não se centrou num casal mas fez antes uma mistura de personagens. Penso que ela se encostou um pouco demais ao triângulo amoroso e como no final não conseguiu resolvê-lo facilmente tornou a personagem Laurie a má da fita. Hum, não foi muito satisfatório. Além disso, apesar de ser um pouco óbvio, após sabermos da vida dupla de Laurie, a autora ainda esticou bastante e só conclui o ...more
Bookworm
Oh my goodness! If I had to use one word to describe Nadia Knows Best it would be delightful. I settled in to read this book and I was instantly swept away.

First off, I enjoy a fun romance and it was delivered in spades in this book. Secondly, I'm generally fascinated by all things British, so this was a no brainer. I enjoyed the setting and reading the different turn of words and phrases.
Crikey. I enjoyed reading about this funky lot. <- Is that British slang? Or just nonsense from a Jersey
Gayle Surrette
When Nadia Kinsella’s car slid off the road in a snow storm, she ended up spending the night, talking about everything with Jay Tiernan, whose car had also run off the road. Somehow, Nadia assumed that Jay was gay and thus didn’t worry about impressions and relationship issues but just enjoyed the company — after all she had a boyfriend, Laurie Welsh, who worked as a fashion model.

Nadia lived with her father and two sisters in the home of her grandmother, Miriam Kinsella. Clare was slightly youn
Catarina
Os livros desta autora, no que ao humor diz respeito, são todos bastante similares e o formato da história também não difere muito, por essa razão dificilmente há que acrescentar nas opiniões de cada livro.

Neste caso o facto de os livros serem identicos não é, necessáriamente, uma coisa má. Além de raramente nos desiludirmos, ao sabermos com o que podemos contar, conseguimos escolher a altura certa para o ler. O que nem sempre acontece resultando depois em livros inacabados ou que na altura não
Lauren
Nadia Knows Best is the perfect summer read. Then again, it is also a perfect winter read (especially snuggled up by an open fire, with a blanket and a cup of tea). I have read this book countless times and never tire of the story or humour.

Jill Mansell is the queen of chick-lit and this is the crown of her work. It is light-hearted and full of good ol’-fashioned romantic promise. Okay, you don’t need to use a great deal of brain power whilst reading it, but that is the big draw. Sometimes, aft
Susana Guerra
I have to admit that this story had a lot of drama between all family members. But it was really fun to read. I mean between the three sisters, the dad and his new girlfriend, the awful mom and her fiance, then the grandma with her secret and each of the two sisters dealing with their love lives... Way too much, but exciting. I do like the ending. Even though I would have wanted Nadia to stay with her old boyfriend, i can understand why she decided to go for Jay instead. And Tully, so sweet and ...more
Rochelle
I need a new shelf - a "should not have finished" one.
This was bad. I think there were so many characters with their own situations going on that the author couldn't do anyone justice. She had several self-absorbed, loathsome characters (Mom Leonie, Sister Clare, Boyfriend Piers, shall I go on???) who just really had no reason to be taking up space.
This was my first book by this author, and also my last. When a typical book like this usually takes me 1.5 days to read, and this one took 4, I rea
Sophi Chelliah
This book is a total disaster. Shocked to see it has a 3.72 average rating. Are people okay?! I could have easily flounced this book midway but I still gave it a chance and finished it. Worst decision ever. This is the first time I'm reading Jill Mansell's books and I can tell you, I'm never going to read anything by her ever again. She could at least have had a single POV? The story would have been much better if the book was from Nadia's POV but no each it delved too much into each and every c ...more
Nadia
I read this because...duh. Unfortunately, it didn't make me happy. This is just another chick lit that falls short on delivering even the proper chick lit fantasy, and that's just not acceptable.

Let's start with the title, which doesn't make much sense either once you read the book. Sure, the main character's name's Nadia but I don't agree that she knows best, as she hardly knows anything in my opinion. She's supposed to be independent, but she's not really, at least not in the way she thinks. S
Deena
New to Jill Mansell but will try to read them all as I love her way of writing as it is easy and amusing . I love how her characters are so identifiyable and are realistic and are surrounded by family and friends of whom I can relate to. This made me want to do get stuck into gardening!!!
Nette
For a random book I happened to grab from the shelf, this was actually a surprisingly nice read. From the first page, the author's tone hooked me in. Her writing was humorous, slightly sarcastic, and very entertaining to read. I was pleasantly surprised. The story was told from the perspectives of multiple characters in the book, and it was interesting to read in this way. Normally, this type of setup grates on my nerves, but the story was fascinating enough that I actually enjoyed reading the d ...more
Tahleen
This one was not my favorite Mansell, and I was left disappointed. It still has plenty of antics and funny moments and dialogue, but I disliked almost every character and there wasn't much of a story. The only conflict between Nadia and finding her dream man was a love triangle, which is resolved without her knowing all the details. There is some dramatic irony that I was disappointed didn't get revealed.

Also, her sister is awful, and the lead-up to her grandmother's secret felt overblown and to
Jae
My first Jill Mansell and I love it. The characters are very lovable.
Mariazita
Mais um livro maravilhoso de Jill Mansell.Neste livro ficamos a conhecer duas irmãs Nadia e Clare completamente diferentes, que vivem com o seu pai James, que está solteiro, com a avó Miranda com um espírito muito jovem e a sua meia- irmã Tilly de treze anos, filha da mãe das jovens Leonie, que deixou a pequena filha de outra relação para o ex- marido criar, e a história gira em torno dos amores e decepções e mistérios antigos desta família super divertida que também tem um papagaio engraçado.
Ma
Arwen
I'm a fan of this genre generally, and this is the second Mansell I've read, and I'm finding I enjoy her work more than that of a lot of mainstream women's lit authors. There's a bit of a light commentary edge to it, almost a tongue-in-cheek tone, that makes it enjoyable for me.

That being said, this book is not as good as the other one of hers I read, and I would give it 2.5 stars if I could. A few key motivations are missing and some plot threads are left hanging. i'll find another book of hers
Ivy Deluca
The Premise
Nadia Kinsella meets Jay Tiernan during a snowstorm where they’re forced into spending the night together. In a non-sexual way of course. Of course she's tempted. But Nadia’s already met The One. She and Laurie have been childhood sweethearts, but she doesn’t see as much of Laurie, who is a model/actor and of course, unbelievably gorgeous. So, nothing happens between Nadia and Jay...but then Laurie dumps Nadia, and the fun starts.

My Thoughts
Mansell’s stories are strong because of the
Predictable, but a quick light read.
Elizabeth

Jill Mansell is the author I turn to for comfit reading, when I’m sick, when I’m going through a break-up, or whenever I just need cheering up. She’s honed a style so that you know you’re reading one of her books. There are multiple characters with subplots, the heroine is often dumped at the beginning. The stories definitely focus on the female and are probably closer to checklist than standard romance.

In Nadia knows best, our heroine Nadia meets Jay when they are caught together overnight in
Blodeuedd Finland
First of all, the blurb is very hinting that she is tempted and all that. But she is only looking and who would not. So no funny business, this is not a book about how the grass is greener in the other side.

As with other Mansell books this one is not only about Nadia. We have her sister Clare who is an artist and who dates this posh idiot and they are having issues. Then there is the father who has never really dated since their mum left them ages ago, and perhaps he should find love too. The gr
Cocktails and Books
First off, I enjoyed this book immensely. This story is about more than Nadia and her romantic issues, it’s about her whole family and told from the varying viewpoints of her and her two sisters Claire and Tilly. Each character is distinct and the author does an amazing job of describing each sisters’ perspective and story. Tilly is thirteen and desperately trying to find her place in the family and the world at large. Claire is the middle daughter, a beautiful artist, whose attention seeking be ...more
Kate  Maxwell
What I loved about this story was the English wit and humour! Having lived in England for a bit made it easier to understand the places she describes, but it would not lessen the storyline for anyone who has not lived or visited England. Also, all of her characters have a personality of their own, to include the man who pines for Miriam, Nadia’s grandmother.
There are so many story lines that are going on in this book. We have Clare, Nadia’s younger sister, who is trying to figure out life and wh
  • I Remember You
  • Zoek het maar uit
  • Wedding Season
  • Forget me not
  • Lizzy Harrison Loses Control
  • Someone Like You
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • Not That Kind Of Girl
  • An Autumn Crush
  • The Waitress
  • My Favourite Goodbye
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have
More about Jill Mansell...
Rumour Has It An Offer You Can't Refuse Take a Chance on Me Millie's Fling To the Moon and Back