Start by marking “Don't Know Much about the Universe: Everything You Need to Know about Outer Space But Never Learned” as Want to Read:

Don't Know Much about the Universe: Everything You Need to Know about Outer Space But Never Learned (Don't Know Much About)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Introduction by the Author
Read by
Five CD's

From the ancients who charted the stars, to Jules Verne and Flash Gordon, to The X-Files, Apollo 13, and Armageddon, people around the world have long been intrigued with the heavens and outer space. DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE UNIVERSE, the fifth title in this bestselling series, uses the now-familiar and popular question-and-answe
Published October 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published January 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Know Much about the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Know Much about the Universe

Jenn
I felt a bit like I was back in high school listening to a lecture that would "prepare" me for a basic course on astronomy in college. It starts off with a brief introduction to the history of astronomers and their accomplishments which builds and builds until we get to present day NASA. It was interesting but not as in depth on actual facts on the universe as I would've liked. They did touch on black holes and dark matter and fractured starlight but I wanted a more in depth look at those things ...more
Kurt Marquart
I've never looked at the printed version, so I'm sure the "Voices from the Universe" sections don't seem as redundant as much as recaps that read as if I wasn't paying attention to what I just read (heard). Facts are spewed willy-nilly, and it can be a bit overwhelming listening to (or reading) the lists that go on and on—dates, names, figures—they get a little boring. A few random facts stood out to me, and I hope to retain enough before I listen again.
It's not a terrible book, but it's a littl
Nathan
Sep 23, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't know much.
As with most of the books in Kenneth C. Davis' Don't Know Much series, Don't Know Much About the Universe lays out all the things we may not have learned in school, may have forgotten, may have changed since we were kids or just didn't make it into the curriculum. It's an excellent series, and this edition, that outlines everything from the discovery of the first planet to modern developments in quantum mechanics, lives up to the legacy of Davis' previous work. A witty, easy-to-read book that ca ...more
Holly
It was a good informative read. Lots of great info you might not have known before. The author is fairly entertaining when presenting dry info except for the history of the space race which wasn't terribly long. That was the only part I felt he could have done better with. I am looking forward to tackling another of his books soon!
Carolyn
This series is the local equivalent of the 'Dummies' books, but I do like his style. If you must read predigested history, at least make sure it tastes good! I especially enjoyed the sections about the medieval astronomers, particularly Descartes and Tycho Brahe.
Michael
Fun, quick overview of the topic. He is neither as in-depth as Timothy Ferris in Coming of Age in the Milky Way and The Red Shift, nor as glib as any number of quickie guides to the history of cosmology. He is just right. And that says a lot.
Lara Eakins
It was a little outdated (published early 2001, I think), but other than that, not bad. I did catch some mistakes here and there, and not just of the "know we know more" variety, but not really enough for me to tell anyone not to bother.
Gina
This is a really accessible, amusing book for people who want to know more about the cosmos but do not have a strong backing in physics. I like Davis's simple way of treating complex subjects.
Jason
eh, i liked it enough but soon tired of the format. I am very interested in this topic and took away some good stuff but overall it has not kept me coming back like Colours or Code...
Peter Clay
Typical Davis compilation, and he strays from the cool stuff from time to time, but there so much information in here that at least you don't feel like you're drowning in it!
Patrick Young
Very well written....main reason for lower rating is the enormous advances in astronomy over the past 15 years makes this book feel very, very dated
Scott Holden
I really enjoyed it, but it is already dated material. They should do an updated version like they did with DKMA history.
Maddy
For some reason, the question & answer format really, really didn't work for me, and I just gave up on it.
Greg
because it's astronomy, this book is long out of date and not info is valid...good book though
Stephen
Now I know much about the universe. And, golly, we are insignificant.
George
There is a lot more to the universe than I learned in school!
Julie
a more appropriate title - "What is a universe?" Elementary read.
Sally
Not as helpful as I had hoped for Newton's Universe.
Bella Crow
Bella Crow marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Celia Osorno
Celia Osorno marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Stormy
Stormy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Marco Cordero
Marco Cordero is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected
  • Leonardo's Mountain of Clams and the Diet of Worms: Essays on Natural History
  • Deep Future: The Next 100,000 Years of Life on Earth
  • Which Way to the Wild West?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion
  • 25 Things to Say to the Interviewer, to Get the Job You Want: Being Qualified Isn't Enough
  • Declaration: The Nine Tumultuous Weeks When America Became Independent, May 1-July 4, 1776
  • The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
  • The Moral Sense
  • Astronomy For Dummies
  • 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
  • The Hole in the Universe
  • The Art of Profitability
  • Alexander the Great and His Time (Dorset Oress Reprints Series)
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science
  • About Time: Cosmology and Culture at the Twilight of the Big Bang
  • Unexplained Mysteries of World War II
Kenneth C. Davis is the New York Times bestselling author of the Don't Know Much About series of books and audios for adults and children. The first title in the series, Don't Know Much About History became a New York Times bestseller in 1991 and remained on the paperback list for 35 consecutive weeks. It has since been revised several times and now has more than 1.6 million copies in print.

He is
More about Kenneth C. Davis...

Don't Know Much About (8 books)
  • Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About Geography: Everything You Need to Know About the World but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About Anything: Everything You Need to Know but Never Learned About People, Places, Events, and More!
  • Don't Know Much About Anything Else: Even More Things You Need to Know but Never Learned About People, Places, Events, and More!
Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned