Start by marking “Weeping Willow” as Want to Read:
Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow

Tiny Lambert struggles to find security and happiness when her high school years are marred after her stepfather rapes her.
Published April 1st 1994 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Weeping Willow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weeping Willow

Miralys
Aug 27, 2013 Miralys rated it it was amazing
The only thing that bothers me about this book is the summery given on the back. I went so far that I put a sticker on the back of my copy, so when I lend it to friends they can read it without bias.
I personally think this book is NOT about a girl being raped by her stepfather. Of course that happens, too, but mostly the story is about growing up, falling in love, being insecure as a teenager - and it is written in such a truthfull, believable way that it somehow made me reconcile with the awkw
Kimberley
Oct 30, 2016 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
This is realistic fiction at its best. Well-written and thoughtful, it handles a difficult topic in the best possible way. I have a respect for Ruth White's writing that is hard to describe. The talent she has is sorely lacking in many authors I read now...and in what is passed off for YA these days. While the content of this book is not something I'd suggest my sixth grade students read, I would definitely suggest it for eighth to twelfth grade students.
Lacie Pribble
Nov 08, 2013 Lacie Pribble rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my all time favorite books, since I first read it in 7th grade! One of the VERY few stories I could read multiple times.
Sally
Feb 18, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
I listened to this on CD by a wonderful narrator and I think that added to my enjoyment. This is a sweet and painful story of a young West Virginia girl's experience through her high school years--living with her mother, stepfather and 3 half siblings in a "holler" in mining country. Now that doesn't sound interesting, but she is such a true character--and was growing up at the same time as I was--that I really felt for her. Her father was not around (he left when he found out his girlfriend was ...more
So92
Oct 14, 2015 So92 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-before-2015
Storia piuttosto cruda di una ragazzina alle prese con abusi sessuali in famiglia che fa di tutto per proteggere la sorellina. La narrazione sembra quasi divisa su due piani: uno è allegro, l'altro è triste e difficile da accettare per una ragazza con una situazione di vita già complicata in partenza. Il problema alla base dell’infelicità di Mini è tuttavia facilmente intuibile, a meno che il libro non finisca nelle mani di lettrici veramente giovani (come lo era la sottoscritta): solo in questo ...more
D_c
May 02, 2008 D_c rated it liked it
I read this when I was in high school, and even though I could do without the rape part, I know it suppose to show the struggle the character in this book went through. And I can relate to it because I personally know a few people who shared the same struggle.

What I like about this book is that it reminds me of where I grew up. The author had described the surrounding so beautifully (not in a poet kind of way, though) that I just want to go back home.

The character in the book also discovered he
Rachel
Jul 31, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
What does one say about this book without giving it away? I knew it had some hard things in it. I was worried about that and so read the book with trepidation. I needn't have worried so much. The author wrote things so tastefully and so well! A true author, someone who really knows how to write, can write in such a way that without writing and saying, more is said. And that is what Ruth White does with this book.

I adored the relationships and the growing pains of a teenage girl trying to find h
Jamie Leigh
Nov 01, 2013 Jamie Leigh rated it it was amazing
I was in the 6th grade when I first got my paws on this book. Mind you that was back in 1996. Still to this day I remember every detail of this book because I would read it over and over. By far one of my favorite books even. Very well written and even though it is a completely different style of living from my childhood/teenage years I connected with the main character and was aware of so many things that could happen that did happen to her. This is one book I will be putting in my daughters ha ...more
Jacqueline
Randomly thought of this book and decided to add it to my list. I must have read this at least 5 times when I was a kid, probably around 5th-8th grade or so. For some reason I never had an actual copy of it, but I would check it out repeatedly from the library. I think I really liked the coming-of-age aspect of it, and probably the abuse by the stepfather intrigued me, though I don't think I really understood what that was all about back in the day.
Shanna
Aug 29, 2011 Shanna rated it it was amazing
When I read this around middle school age it blew my mind. This book is really...just great. It deals with some silly high school topics, but it takes them seriously. Also it has a part about the typical creepy stepfather, and Ruth White handles it beautifully for such an awful topic. Read this. Immediately.
Kayla
Nov 04, 2009 Kayla rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this book! I read Weeping Willow a while back, when I was in elementary school, but I remember being enthralled with it. I felt very close to Tiny. It seemed like we were best friends. She is definitely one of the greatest and most inspiring literary characters I've ever come to know.
Ashley Lawson
Aug 27, 2010 Ashley Lawson rated it liked it
It was sad but the story is very relevant!
Keisha Sherrell
Oct 10, 2013 Keisha Sherrell rated it it was amazing
I would read this again. I found this treasure when I was in the 7th grade and I've never forgotten it.
Susan
Aug 05, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok
Young girl overcomes the trauma of a rape by her father. Well written page turner.
•kate•
Jul 10, 2016 •kate• rated it liked it
It was good but I read it quite a few years ago and at that time I didn't understand it and it was quite strange since my elementary school gave it to me
Sam
Apr 24, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
It is an amazing book.
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: ref-booktalker
Listed as Q4 = Exceptional!, P3 = A booktalk on this title will excite most people’s interest
Brooke
Jun 18, 2010 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Another book that stuck with me throughout the years. I really good read!
Abbby
Jul 08, 2009 Abbby rated it really liked it
I read and re-read this book when i was younger. It is a fantastic read for young girls (and boys)
Janna
Feb 19, 2012 Janna rated it liked it
Seriously, someone could have told her! Other than that the book was awesome. And emotional. I read it when i was 12. That bastard would have got more than needed if i was in the damn book.
Pamela
Sep 05, 2008 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I love this author and her stories about families living in coal mining areas of Virginia! She creates a strong sense of place and great characters.
Tori Doss
Jan 29, 2013 Tori Doss rated it it was amazing
My book was signed by Ruth White!!! It was amazing!!
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 Vanlilith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Morae
Morae rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Skyla Seamans
Skyla Seamans rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Miry
Miry rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
  • Burning Issy
  • Jumping the Nail
  • Speciale Violante
  • The Maestro
I was born in the Appalachian hills of Virginia, which is the setting for Belle Prater's Boy and The Search for Belle Prater. I lived there until I graduated from high school and went away to college. Though I left the hills, they never left me. My memories of those years are quite vivid. I have always referred to that time as both traumatic and wonderful. I get most of my ideas for my stories fro ...more
More about Ruth White...