Start by marking “Weeping Willow” as Want to Read:
Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Tiny Lambert struggles to find security and happiness when her high school years are marred after her stepfather rapes her.
Published April 1st 1994 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Weeping Willow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weeping Willow

Lacie Pribble
This has been one of my all time favorite books, since I first read it in 7th grade! One of the VERY few stories I could read multiple times.
Miralys
The only thing that bothers me about this book is the summery given on the back. I went so far that I put a sticker on the back of my copy, so when I lend it to friends they can read it without bias.
I personally think this book is NOT about a girl being raped by her stepfather. Of course that happens, too, but mostly the story is about growing up, falling in love, being insecure as a teenager - and it is written in such a truthfull, believable way that it somehow made me reconcile with the awkw
Sally
Feb 18, 2011 Sally rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
I listened to this on CD by a wonderful narrator and I think that added to my enjoyment. This is a sweet and painful story of a young West Virginia girl's experience through her high school years--living with her mother, stepfather and 3 half siblings in a "holler" in mining country. Now that doesn't sound interesting, but she is such a true character--and was growing up at the same time as I was--that I really felt for her. Her father was not around (he left when he found out his girlfriend was ...more
D_c
I read this when I was in high school, and even though I could do without the rape part, I know it suppose to show the struggle the character in this book went through. And I can relate to it because I personally know a few people who shared the same struggle.

What I like about this book is that it reminds me of where I grew up. The author had described the surrounding so beautifully (not in a poet kind of way, though) that I just want to go back home.

The character in the book also discovered he
Jamie Leigh
I was in the 6th grade when I first got my paws on this book. Mind you that was back in 1996. Still to this day I remember every detail of this book because I would read it over and over. By far one of my favorite books even. Very well written and even though it is a completely different style of living from my childhood/teenage years I connected with the main character and was aware of so many things that could happen that did happen to her. This is one book I will be putting in my daughters ha ...more
Kayla
I loved, loved, loved this book! I read Weeping Willow a while back, when I was in elementary school, but I remember being enthralled with it. I felt very close to Tiny. It seemed like we were best friends. She is definitely one of the greatest and most inspiring literary characters I've ever come to know.
Shanna
When I read this around middle school age it blew my mind. This book is really...just great. It deals with some silly high school topics, but it takes them seriously. Also it has a part about the typical creepy stepfather, and Ruth White handles it beautifully for such an awful topic. Read this. Immediately.
Janna
Seriously, someone could have told her! Other than that the book was awesome. And emotional. I read it when i was 12. That bastard would have got more than needed if i was in the damn book.
Pamela
I love this author and her stories about families living in coal mining areas of Virginia! She creates a strong sense of place and great characters.
Keisha Sherrell
I would read this again. I found this treasure when I was in the 7th grade and I've never forgotten it.
Abbby
I read and re-read this book when i was younger. It is a fantastic read for young girls (and boys)
Susan
Young girl overcomes the trauma of a rape by her father. Well written page turner.
Brooke
Another book that stuck with me throughout the years. I really good read!
Tori Doss
My book was signed by Ruth White!!! It was amazing!!
Ashley Lawson
It was sad but the story is very relevant!
Sam
It is an amazing book.
pricila Fuentes
pricila Fuentes marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Kami
Kami marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Aniq
Aniq marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Lang Cheng
Lang Cheng marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
  • Borgel
  • The Undertaker's Gone Bananas
  • Cat Running
  • The Star Fisher
I was born in the Appalachian hills of Virginia, which is the setting for Belle Prater's Boy and The Search for Belle Prater. I lived there until I graduated from high school and went away to college. Though I left the hills, they never left me. My memories of those years are quite vivid. I have always referred to that time as both traumatic and wonderful. I get most of my ideas for my stories fro ...more
More about Ruth White...
Belle Prater's Boy Way Down Deep Memories of Summer Little Audrey You'll Like It Here (Everybody Does)