Start by marking “Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry” as Want to Read:
Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Fundamentalist vs. secularist, denomination vs. denomination, liberal vs. conservative -- in the last forty years, American Jews have increasingly found themselves torn apart by their diversity. In this chronicle of the evolution of American Jewry, Samuel G. Freedman illuminates the forces that have undermined the traditional peaceful coexistence among the Orthodox, Conser ...more
Published August 21st 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 10th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Jew vs. Jew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jew vs. Jew

Janet
Feb 07, 2010 Janet rated it liked it
I am a novice on the subject of Jews. I’ve always known that Jesus was a Jew and that makes us all family of a sort, Christians and Jews. I believe in supporting Israel. I’ve often had a Jewish doctor. I have Jewish friends. It was the Israeli National website that I turned to on 9/11 to gain insight on how to protect my family from assorted terrorist weapons. One of my favorite documentaries is Raid on the Reactor: http://video.google.com/videoplay?doc...#

I find it comforting to know that Israe
Simcha Wood
Oct 23, 2011 Simcha Wood rated it it was amazing
Jew vs. Jew provides a well-investigated and engaging account of the various cultural and theological struggles that have arisen within Judaism, and particularly within the Jewish-American community. Freedman brings his narrative and investigative journalistic skills to bear on a series of anecdotes that explore such issues within the Jewish community as conversion standards, intermarriage, the role of women in public ritual, the future of Israel and the Palestinians, and inter-denominational co ...more
Reb
Jul 13, 2008 Reb rated it liked it
Shelves: jew-ish
the author thinks that Orthodox and liberal Judaism are on a course for serious schism, which he proves through a series of anecdotes (nicely written, quite generous in portrayal of some people who act like jerks) about clashes between "traditionalists" and "revisionaries." I use scare quotes of course because the "traditionalists" are only interested in their received version of tradition, and "revisionists" often have many faith-based non-negotiables.

anyway, he takes us through several intract
Samantha
Dec 11, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it
I found this a very useful look at how the different strains of Judaism have evolved in the U.S. And their relationship to Israel. Immediately after reading this book I have a better understanding of some of the news coming out of Israel. I selfishly wish this book could be rewritten every 5 or 10 years to keep me up-to-date. This is not a comprehensive text, nor does it try to be. But it shows how these divisions have grown through telling specific stories of American Jews, their backgrounds an ...more
Robert Wechsler
May 07, 2013 Robert Wechsler rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A very well written look at a variety of situations where the views and interests of secular and religious Jews have collided in the U.S. or, at least, among American Jews. One even takes place in New Haven, soon after I moved to the area. It grew out of an issue at Yale involving co-ed living arrangements.

Freedman is a first-rate storyteller, especially good at portraits that are done not physically, but professionally and philosophically. He gets way deeper than most journalism. I look forward
Donna
Jun 14, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Unbiased and impartial treatment of the tensions between the various spectrums of American Jewish community.
Mintzis
Nov 02, 2014 Mintzis rated it liked it
A well done study of what divides Jews from each other. The case studies, with one exception, were well chosen to illustrate the problem. I wasn't that taken, however, with the intro to each study and the wrap up.
Linda
Nov 25, 2007 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book examines Jewish identity in America. It describes the struggles between Orthodox communities and less observant Jewish communities. It gives descriptions of the Jewish environment in a few cities in the US (unexpected one's like Salt Lake City, Clevland).
Jon
Feb 21, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in understanding the various divisions within 20th Century Judaism in the U.S. I had no previous knowledge of American Judaism before reading this book, and this book was a good way to begin learning.
Abigail Cohen
Feb 22, 2012 Abigail Cohen rated it did not like it
Great title, but that's about it.
Giovonni E
Giovonni E is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Meagan
Meagan rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Achikam Yogev
Achikam Yogev rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Matthew Friend
Matthew Friend marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Nostalgic
Nostalgic marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Helyn
Helyn marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Jane Mendelsohn
Jane Mendelsohn rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Eric Mortensen
Eric Mortensen marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Darcie
Darcie rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Samuel G. Freedman is a columnist for The New York Times and a professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. He is the author of seven acclaimed books, most recently "Breaking The Line," and has been a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.
More about Samuel G. Freedman...