Start by marking “Ligeia” as Want to Read:
Ligeia

Read Book

Ligeia

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,258 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
Ligeia is a short story written by Edgar Allan Poe and first published in 1838. Ligeia is widely considered to be one of the top 100 greatest books of all time. This great novel will surely attract a whole new generation of readers. For many, Ligeia is required reading for various courses and curriculum's. And for others who simply enjoy reading timeless pieces of classic ...more
Published February 2nd 2004 by BookSurge Classics (first published 1838)

To ask other readers questions about Ligeia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ligeia

Bookdragon Sean
It's Halloween, so I have to revisit my favourite Poe short story!

If a mind has found the most true and profound bliss what happens when it’s taken away?

Well, the simple answer is it doesn’t work anymore, at least not very well. The narrator of this marvellous short story experiences a whole host of emotions and mental states after his loss. Firstly, he is hit with the expected wave of melancholy fuelled by his understandable grief; secondly, he feels the slow calm breeze of acceptance; thirdly
Fernando
Mar 19, 2015 Fernando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ligeia era el cuento preferido de Edgar Allan Poe. Considero que con Morella, Berenice y Eleonora (podríamos sumar a Annabel Lee, pero es poema, como Lenore de El Cuervo) representan el ideal de la mujer romántica, esa que está al borde de la muerte o la que vuelve a la vida para recuperar a su amado (hay casos geniales como La muerta enamorada de Theophile Gaultier o Vera de L'ille Adam). La fémme fatale que dominaba ese famoso mal de siècle. Ligeia tiene todos los ingredientes del Romanticismo ...more
Claudia
Mar 02, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Yesterday. One day - two nightmares.

In the morning Trump. - In the evening Mr. E.A. POE :)

And the 5 stars goes to........ Mr Poe.

Really, its not your best idea in the night before you sleep, read Mr. Poe.
You`re off the lights. Soon you hear a whisper, you curtains move......

Ligeia or Rowena? Black cat or raven? NEVERMORE! :D

The story was so good. Sleep had no chance. :)

Is everything we see or seem
NOTHING BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM?
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
While I didn't really understand the point or message of this story, it was beautifully written and the tone is darkly, insanely, intensely beautiful, so I cannot help but bestow four well-deserved stars upon yet another short story by my beloved Mr Poe.

The basic premise of this story is the narrator's relationship with Ligeia, his wife, to the grave and beyond. This tale is aptly named, as not a single thought passes through the protagonist's head that is not about the eponymous Ligeia. Our nar
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Ligeia es un cuento de Edgar Allan Poe que nunca había leído y me sorprendió bastante. No sé por qué le tenía poca fe si todos sus cuentos o poemas con nombre de mujer me gustan. But anyway...

Todo empieza con un hombre describiendo la inmensa belleza de su esposa, Ligeia, una mujer de ojos oscuros y pelo negro como el ébano. Sin embargo, Ligeia cae enferma y muere, dejando a su pobre marido devastado y casi deseando morir. Eventualmente, el hombre se muda a Inglaterra y se casa con Lady Rowena
Anne
Oct 23, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
This definitely deserves a second reading! I flew into this book immediately after reading a review about it. The premise of it was unbelievably seductive. And it didn't disappoint.
...
I kept wavering between a 4 and 5 star rating after I finished reading this not because it was lacking or defective in any way, but rather because some lines just flew right over my head(that's where the need for a second reading comes in). I struggled with comprehension and interpretation of some sentences.
It fel
Cassandra Lê
Oct 24, 2015 Cassandra Lê rated it it was ok
Nothing remarkable happens. Except for the prose, all else quite revolves around Poe's main theme: death of a beautiful woman, monomania, drug...etc. Still a nice read for Halloween. But compared to Rue Morgue, I prefer the latter.
Agustina
Nov 27, 2016 Agustina rated it really liked it
Que cosa rara y hermosa leer a Poe. Te atrapa desde el primer momento, y no te suelta hasta que termina con el final mas descabellado e impredecible. Te tortura durante todo el cuento para que prestes atención y pienses y lo hace de tal manera que inclusive cuando terminaste de leer, te sigue torturando. Simplemente increíble, este hombre es magia.
Andrei Tamaş
Dec 18, 2015 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E pentru prima dată când văd la Poe, pe lângă latura obscură, latura romantismului suferind, concentrarea pe eul propriu. În "Ligeia" prezintă melancolia neagră a unei iubiri pierdute din pricina sabiei morţii şi aura metafizică a dragostei.
Prashant
Mar 29, 2012 Prashant rated it liked it
This is first work of Poe that I read and how the details can be used to make the story stick to the reader.

The story is narrated by a guy who is desperately in love with his wife Ligeia and is praising everything about her. Poe has described the character at length so it can come alive to the reader.

After the death of Legeia the man marries Lady Rowena. The new wife succumbs to illness one night and the man mourns her death all night while her body lies in the same room.

What follows is grues
Dimitris
Oct 07, 2015 Dimitris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo! ’t is a gala night
Within the lonesome latter years!
An angel throng, bewinged, bedight
In veils, and drowned in tears,
Sit in a theatre, to see
A play of hopes and fears,
While the orchestra breathes fitfully
The music of the spheres.

Mimes, in the form of God on high,
Mutter and mumble low,
And hither and thither fly—
Mere puppets they, who come and go
At bidding of vast formless things
That shift the scenery to and fro,
Flapping from out their Condor wings
Invisible Wo!

That motley drama—oh,
Jose Moa
Dec 12, 2016 Jose Moa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, teror
Another masterwork of the genial Poe,written with his matchless prose thah have influenced several writters,clearly Lovecraft.
Beguins with perhaps the most great description of the beauty and atributes of the ideal romantic heroine Ligeia ,inaprehensible to the meaning of words,not yet to the classic paradigmas,as only the genial writter can make ,overall, her eyes.
Ligeia is the quintaesence of beauty,passion,wiseness and love,a ideal ,a abstract comcept that as inmortal trascends the human natu
Aditya Patil
Jan 05, 2017 Aditya Patil rated it it was ok
There is no point at all in the story. The writing however, is beautiful.
Sylvia McIvers
In a ruined German city, a man lives with his wonderful wife Ligiea. Really, she's wonderful. Three pages of detail on her eyes, her nose, her mouth her skin, her hair, her wisdom, her walk - and another few pages for her to die, all the while fighting, never surrendering her will to Death.

Our Hero wanders to an English abbey - also ruined - and sets up an opium addicted life. He marries a woman who is described in one sentence. Several paragraphs explain how their bedroom has tomb-elements, bes
Edlira Dibrani
Aug 03, 2015 Edlira Dibrani rated it really liked it
Loved it <3

`` I cannot , for my soul, remember how, when, or even precisely where, I first became acquainted with the Lady Ligeia. Long years have since elasped. and my memory is feeble through much suffering. Or, perhaps, I cannot now bring these points to mind, because, in truth the character of my beloved, her rare learning, her singular yet placid cast of beauty, and the thrilling and enthralling cloquence of her low musical language, made their way into my heart by places so steadily and
Soycd
Jun 10, 2015 Soycd rated it really liked it
Of all the women whom I have ever known, she, the outwardly calm, the ever-placid Ligeia, was the most violently a prey to the tumultuous vultures of stern passion.

Even though Ligeia is well within familiar territory for Poe (there is the eerie and gloomy scenery, the misterious muse who is counting her minutes left, and the main character whose twisted mind you get to know) it still manages to stand out as a unique and wonderfully crafted story due to Poe's magnificent prose and his talent for
Chad O'Haver
While "Ligeia" has no apparent meaning, while the metaphor, if any is present, is not so facilely discerned, I believe this story is a presentation of the preoccupation of the mind upon a single, wistful thought (in this case, his deceased wife Ligeia, and the longing for her return) and how this preoccupation can manifest as an absurd event (in this case, the resurrection of Ligeia through the body of his second, also deceased wife, Rowena).

Possibly, Poe would have been a fine psychologist, or
Knigoqdec
Jun 09, 2016 Knigoqdec rated it really liked it
Разказ повече в традицията на... традиционния хорър, поне такъв, какъвто аз го познавам xD В какъв смисъл ли? Зловещи сенки в голям замък, изпълнен с тиха скръб по загубеното, което силно, много силно искаш да си върнеш.
Прави ми също така впечатление как По изгражда образа на жената... Феминистите защо ли не го цитират xD
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Από τα κλασσικότερα έργα του Poe που μιλάνε για τις καταστάσεις και τις συμπτώσεις που οδηγούν σε πολύ συγκεκριμένα αποτελέσματα, μέσα πάντα από την δική του μυστηριακή ματιά, με το μεταφυσικό στοιχείο να είναι πάντα εκεί. Όχι από τα πολύ αγαπημένα μου, αλλά δεν παύει να είναι ένα κείμενο την λογοτεχνική αξία του οποίου αναγνωρίζω και σέβομαι.
Emily Woolford
Aug 31, 2016 Emily Woolford rated it really liked it
The second half of this short (where the narrator is wed to Rowena) is beautiful. That is if you're willing to call someone's diminishing mental state after losing two wives beautiful. It's true though, I am drawn to tragic love stories.
Carly Ellen Kramer
Nov 24, 2014 Carly Ellen Kramer rated it really liked it
Ligeia isn't Poe for Beginners, at least not as I see it. A new reader of Poe would be advised to read The Raven and The Pit and the Pendulum first, and read Ligeia later.
Madalin Boboc
Truly remarkable story, at least as the idea is concerned.
The writing is pretty cheesy the whole way through, except the last part, which is honestly where the whole strength of the story resides.
Poe in this and another short story of his (that was passable), writes about love in such a way that it lacks subtlety and looks like an infatuated teenager rather than an adult that understands the complexities of love.
Still, I have the ability of separating the execution of a story and appreciating it
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
The madness of grief personified.

Passionately in love with Ligeia, his wife, until she dies and he becomes obsessed with every detail of her memory. Later marrying Lady Rowena because he secretly likes that she 'shunned' him at every turn and that she's Ligeia's opposite in every way, but despite this he hates her because she's not the one he loved most.

Unfortunately, Rowena succumbs to the same illness as his first wife: consumption (tuberculosis). At her bedside, high on opium he thinks of h
Rhiannon Johnson
Dec 22, 2012 Rhiannon Johnson rated it it was amazing
Poe gives a marriage true immortality in his short story “Ligeia.” Even death does not part these two. Ligeia’s husband loves her so intensely that his love is a form of worship. After her death, she lives on in his heart and mind. He continues his worship of her, builds her a shrine, and provides her with a human body to be reborn into. This parallels the underlying theme of idolatry throughout the story. The narrator’s love for his wife is so powerful that it enables Ligeia to be reborn, simil ...more
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Nov 20, 2013 Viji (Bookish endeavors) rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A unique mixture of romance and horror.!! I liked the love story in this- the narrator being unable to forget his late wife even after his second marriage.. His second wife fails to make an impression on him in comparison with the first wife whom he almost places on a pedestal.. The second wife falls mysteriously ill and dies. Sitting with her dead body, he feels the body stirring and coming to life, not as the dull second wife but imbued with the dark features of his first wife- his own Ligeia. ...more
Jen
Mar 22, 2007 Jen rated it liked it
I love Poe. I love the mix of light and dark and strangeness and beauty that is present in all of his work. His language is beautiful and rich. The descriptions of the women he obsesses about in his stories are particularly lovely, and there's something deliciously terrifying and honest about all the macabre madness. This is a short story about obsession and undying love, fantasy and reality, and great beauty that cannot survive.
Harry Doble
The best of four Poe stories in a row I have read (which include Eleonora, Berenice, and Morella) where the protagonist spends most of the story talking about a woman in idolatrous terms who falls ill and dies. These are all beautifully written, but ultimately, strike me as kind of meandering and pointless. Ligeia is my favourite because it deals with the replacement wife through a blurring of reality and feverish, opium induced dreams.
Vaishali
Every woman on earth aches to be loved the way the narrator does his deceased wife. <3

Quite verbose, which I survived only due to the late Vincent Price's expert rendering at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN4yk...
Eleriel
Jul 08, 2016 Eleriel rated it it was amazing
Magnifico, inquietante, terrificante. Poe è insuperabile nel creare nella mente del lettore atmosfere così realistiche che alzando lo sguardo dal libro quasi ci si aspetta di ritrovarsi al suo interno. Lui è il Maestro, tutti gli altri - anche i migliori - stanno molto più in basso.
Greg
Apr 03, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing
Not only the tale and description, the style of writing is transporting.
  • The Birthmark
  • Classical Mythology
  • Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume III
  • The Shot
  • The Outsider
  • Pobby and Dingan
  • Desolation Run
  • Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
  • The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
  • Der Inquisitor
  • The Sphere of Secrets (The Oracle Prophecies, #2)
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Demon Lover
  • The Sphinx Without a Secret
  • A Passion In The Desert
  • This is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona
  • The Judge's House
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

“In beauty of face no maiden ever equaled her. It was the radiance of an opium-dream - an airy and spirit-lifting vision more wildly divine than the fantasies which hovered about the slumbering souls of the daughters of Delos.” 126 likes
“In our endeavors to recall to memory something long forgotten, we often find ourselves upon the very verge of remembrance, without being able, in the end, to remember.” 55 likes