Start by marking “The Jewel Ornament of Liberation” as Want to Read:
The Jewel Ornament of Liberation

The Jewel Ornament of Liberation

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this skillful translation, Herbert Guenther offers English-speaking readers's comprehensive and authoritative exposition of the stages of the Buddhist path. A masterly survey of Tibetan Buddhism, The Jewel Ornament of Liberation explains how an enlightened attitude is strengthened by practicing the six perfections (generosity, discipline, patience, exertion, ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Shambhala (first published 1100)

To ask other readers questions about The Jewel Ornament of Liberation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jewel Ornament of Liberation

Ermina Williams
Essential Buddhist reading. Especially useful is the commentary by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche. For those who are familiar with Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche, you'll know that he doesn't offer translations and slight interpretations of the essential texts. He lives and breathes them into digestible, pithy, core instructions that penetrate the heart and mind at once.
Gemma Williams
A quite amazing scope covered here,and lots and lots to think about! Am really looking forward to my new study group and discussing it in depth. In the meantime will allow it to sink in a bit before writing about it, and will listen to Padmavajra's contributions as well.
This is not for the beginner. For Tibetan Buddhists, it's the equivalent of the Bible for Christians. I'll read it over and over as part of my practice.
Stephen Blache
A fundamental introduction to Sutra Mahamudra from one of the yogi Milarepa's most important students. A solid introductory presentation to this tradition.
The most important book I've ever read.
Christina marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jes Carney
Jes Carney marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Joseph marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Andy N
Andy N marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Debra marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Austin Zobel
Austin Zobel marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Nika marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Jay marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Riku marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Andrey Glushko
Andrey Glushko marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Dylan Grant
Dylan Grant marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
John Austin
John Austin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation Through Hearing in the Bardo
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
Gampopa Sönam Rinchen (Tib. སྒམ་པོ་པ་བསོད་ནམས་རིན་ཆེན་, Wyl. sgam po pa bsod nams rin chen) (1079-1153/9) after first training as a physician (hence his name Dakpo Lharje (Tib. དྭགས་པོ་ལྷ་རྗེ་, Wyl. dwags po lha rje), the Physician of Dakpo), became the principle student of the yogi Jetsun Milarepa. He went on to integrate the Kadampa teachings of Atisha, which he had studied previously, with the ...more
More about Gampopa...

“The "kindness of giving you a body" means that, at first, our bodies are not fully matured nor are our pleasant complexions. We started in the mother's womb as just an oval spot and oblong lump, and from there we developed through the vital essence of the mother's blood and flesh. We grew through the vital essence of her food while she endured embarrassment, pain, and suffering. After we were born, from a small worm until we were fully grown, she developed our body.
The "kindness of undergoing hardships for you" means that, at first, we were not wearing any clothes with all their ornamentation, did not possess any wealth, and did not bring any provisions. We just came with a mouth and stomach-empty-handed, without any material things.
When we came to this place where we knew no one, she gave food when we were hungry, she gave drink when we were thirsty, she gave clothes when we were cold, she gave wealth when we had nothing. Also, she did not just give us things she did not need. Rather, she has given us what she did not dare use for herself, things she did not dare eat, drink, or wear for herself, things she did not dare employ for the happiness of this life, things she did not dare use for her next life's wealth. In brief, without looking for happiness in this life or next, she nurtured her child.
She did not obtain these things easily or with pleasure. She collected them by creating various negative karmas, by sufferings and hardships, and gave them all to the child. For example, creating negative karma: she fed the child through various nonvirtuous actions like fishing, butchering, and so forth. For example, suffering: to give to the child, she accumulated wealth by working at a business or farm and so forth, wearing frost for shoes, wearing stars as a hat, riding on the horse of her legs, her hem like a whip, giving her legs to the dogs and her face to the people.
Furthermore, she loved the unknown one much more than her father, mother, and teachers who were very kind to her. She watched the child with eyes of love, and kept it warm in soft cloth. She dandled the child in her ten fingers, and lifted it up in the sky. She called to it in a loving, pleasant voice, saying, "Joyful one, you who delight Mommy. Lu, lu, you happy one," and so forth.
The "kindness of giving you life" means that, at first, we were not capable of eating with our mouth and hands nor were we capable of enduring all the different hardships. We were like feeble insects without strength; we were just silly and could not think anything. Again, without rejection, the mother served us, put us on her lap, protected us from fire and water, held us away from precipices, dispelled all harmful things, and performed rituals. Out of fear for our death or fear for our health, she did divinations and consulted astrologers. Through many ritual ceremonies and many other different things, in inconceivable ways, she protected the life of her child.
The "kindness of showing you the world" means that, at first, we did not come here knowing various things, seeing broadly, and being talented. We could only cry and move our legs and hands. Other than that, we knew nothing. The mother taught us how to eat when we did not know how. She taught us how to wear clothes when we did not know how. She taught us how to walk when we did not know how. She taught us how to talk when we did not know how to say "Mama," or "Hi," and so forth. She taught us various skills, creative arts, and so forth. She tried to make us equal when we were unequal, and tried to make the uneven even for us.
Not only have we had a mother in this lifetime, but from beginningless samsara she served as a mother countless times.”