Scarlet Feather

Scarlet Feather

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  17,060 ratings  ·  602 reviews
Set in contemporary Ireland, filled with warmth, wit, and drama, Scarlet Feather is the story of Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather, their spouses, families, and friends, and the struggling new catering business that transforms their lives in ways big and small.
Published March 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 2000)

Circle of Friends by Maeve BinchyTara Road by Maeve BinchyScarlet Feather by Maeve BinchyThe Glass Lake by Maeve BinchyQuentins by Maeve Binchy
Best Books By Maeve Binchy
3rd out of 23 books — 106 voters
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
What To Read Next
409th out of 8,351 books — 17,465 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
This is probably the 3rd or 4th book by Maeve Binchy that I've read... I read her books when I was in college and I have really loved her writing... She writes these intricate stories that involve a lot of characters and several story lines... they usually end up intertwined at the end in surprizing ways... Often main characters of one book will end up as supporting characters in another... That being said... I didn't LOVE this book the way I loved the others... The beginning of the book was slo...more
Drebbles
Set over a period of one year, Scarlet Feather is a novel featuring Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather, who open a catering company together. As they deal with the joys and heartbreak of owning a business their relationship with each other changes as does their relationship with the other's around them,notably Cathy's husband, Neil, who is a lawyer who wants to save the world and Tom's beautiful girlfriend, Marcella, who will do just about anything to make it as a model. Also involved are Cathy's par...more
Mary Pessaran
I have read many Maeve Binchy books, and I have to say I haven't met one I didn't like. I decided to just pick one, because this one had characters that were repeated in other novels. Quentins, Nights of Rain and Stars, Heart and Soul, Evening Class, Minding Frankie. I love seeing the characters reappear, not as primary, but as secondary in other stories. Ms. Binchy's characters are her real strength, because they always feels like friends. And of course, the setting in Ireland (also Italy, Gree...more
Book Concierge
3.5***

Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather met in culinary school and became fast friends. Now they’ve joined forces to start a catering company – Scarlet Feather. They’re young, energetic, and talented and have made some good connections. They’ve found the prefect premises to make their new business the best in Dublin. They know it will be hard work but they are ready to pursue their dream, and with the support of friends and family they feel sure they will succeed.

Binchy excels at writing ensemble pi...more
Kellie
I was a little nervous at the beginning of this book when more and more characters were added to the story. I was wondering if I should pull out an index card to keep track of them all. Well, Binchy does such a great job telling her story and developing her characters, no need for the index card. I absolutely adored this book. This has now become a rare gem in my library. This was so well told and so engaging, I couldn’t wait to get back to it. Although there are several characters, the main one...more
Marisa
This is the story of two people who start a catering business called Scarlet Feather and all of the goings on of the people in their life and how that affects their business. I just love this author because she just tells a story about people's lives and their thoughts and I find myself ingulged in their world the whole time I'm reading the book. It also made me think about the situation for children in foster homes and how we sometimes miss what is going on right in front of us because we're of...more
Lauren
Maeve Binchy is a storyteller par excellence. She has real characters with real problems and real reactions. Sitting down with one of her books is settling into my favorite armchair on a stormy afternoon with a cup of tea and a nice fire. Scarlet Feather is no exception.

I loved this book partly because a fine catering business is fascinating to me -- having been told I could make a living that way! -- but also because these people just draw you into their world. I feel as if I would know these f...more
Helmisade
This book promises that I will be "laughing and crying with Cathy, Tom and all their friends". Well, I was bored to tears if that counts?

Cathy and Tom, the main characters are clueless, stupid and completely lack the ability to stand up for themselves. You see, they are simple Irish folk who just want to make good food, have a solid marriage and make lots of Irish babies.

There are several other characters as well, but they are equally forgettable and annoying. Especially the coupple of mistreat...more
Ria
A charming tale of Tom Feather and Cathy Scarlet, friends and business partners trying to get their fledgling catering business Scarlet feather off the ground.
Things are not as easy as they at first hoped when they try to juggle their private lives alongside their business lives.
Both have complicated family issues and personal issues to resolve.
Tom and his girlfriend Marcella are struggling to keep their relationship alive as they move in different circles, Tom with his catering and her with her...more
Belle
I've been on a reading hiatus for about two months. To get back in the habit, I've decided to go for another Maeve Binchy book. Agreeing to one of her critics' words, I was looking for something that feels like coming home. And Scarlet Feather did not disappoint in the "feels like home" category.

Scarlet Feather is a story about Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather starting their own catering business. I liked reading about the challenges they faced and how much effort they all exerted to keep the busin...more
Kimberly
There are a couple of writers that I read anything they write, and Maeve Binchy is one of those readers. When you pick up Scarlet Feather, you notice 2 things. 1, that this work is part of a larger story and 2, that it is good enough to stand alone.

Maeve's characters are always FULLY developed and you will occasionally find yourself shaking your head as some of the characters are just like people you may know in your personal life, warts and all. When I read her books, my mind can seriously "se...more
Georgie
I have read three Maeve Binchy books so far - Tara Road, Quentin's, and Scarlet Feather. Scarlet Feather catering company and Tom and Cathy, and Simon and Maud are in 'Quentin's', so I was really excited to read this book and find out how it all began. I was not disappointed at all, in fact this is my favourite Binchy book so far.
Some people might have found all the stories about Tom and Cathy's catering jobs boring, but I really enjoyed reading about them, seeing how their company had successes...more
Carissa
this was the first audiobook i ever listened to on my work commute. i loved it so much that i haven't been without an audiobook of some kind pretty much ever since. so now, more than 5 years later, i thought it was worth a re-listen. i still loved it. maybe even more. maeve binchy creates such very likeable characters with such positive attitudes even in the face of terrible crises. and barbara caruso is a masterful narrator. she is the only narrator that i've ever gone out of my way to find boo...more
Nathalia
Sep 02, 2013 Nathalia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Binchy, Twins, Catering-Service-Employees
Shelves: ireland, 2000s
What I learned from this book:

- Reading Ms. Binchys novel in the order in which they were published might really pay off, because she again mentioned characters that appeared in other novels and that would have been exiting, if I had read the books in which they are the main characters.
- Before you get married, you should really think hard and be honest with yourself, before making stupid promises to the other, that you might not mean to keep.
- Never say never.
- Putting down other peoples dream...more
Jennifer Tanabe
I'm a fan of Maeve Binchy, have been since I first encountered her books in our local library. She writes about Ireland, her home, with great affection, and much of what she writes reminds me of my upbringing in Scotland.

Scarlet Feather is not the first or last of her books that I read, nor is it really her best. But there's something about it that just drew me in and made me want to read it again. I think it's the twins, Simon and Maude, and the way they interact with the other characters to b...more
Inger Hutton
I found this book a sad finish since it started so hopefully and Cathy & her husband were so in love. I realize life is like that but I do like Pollyanna endings. Got some good ideas for cooking since the book was about a catering business and I am launching into doing a High Tea for 50 people.
The twin brother and sister were delightful.
Peggy L
This is one of many Maeve Binchy books that I have read. Ms Binchy has a knack for building characters that fit into each other's stories. If you read Quentin's you know exactly what I mean. You find the main caharacter in one book as a minor character in another. Ms Binchy builds what feels like whole communities and makes you want to know each and every character in every book. Scarlet Feather is the story of a couple start a catering business, and before they have found a building for their b...more
Michele
This is probably my favorite Maeve Binchy book I have read to date. First of all, it is one of her complete novels and not one of the short story compilations that she does. It revolves around Cathy Scarlet & Tom Feather, who own a catering company - Scarlet Feather. As Cathy & Tom struggle to get their newly founded company off the ground and keep it afloat, there is the backdrop of their families and friends.

Cathy is married to Neil, a lawyer from a higher class family who were oppose...more
Mathilde
Leonie Stanley
Within minutes from turning the first page to this book, you meet a star-studded cast, from Tom Feather to Cathy Scarlet, from Neil and Marcella, to Maud and Simon!

It took me a week to read this book from cover to cover. I just could not get going on this particular book. I have read a few of Ms. Binchy's books but for some reason I just could not get my teeth into this one. Maybe my teeth are going blunt??

Yes I did say that there were a star-studded cast but whoever did the proofreading did not...more
Colleen
I'm not sure why I liked this book so much. It wasn't a "big message" book, really, but it was charming. The appeal had something to do with how likeable the characters were, despite very obvious flaws. It had something to do with how the characters forgave each other their flaws and supported each other, regardless. It had something to do with the pluck shown by so many of the characters. The plot was unique, the characters were unique, and plot and message were compelling and uplifting.
Mary
I don't know that this is the best of Maeve Binchy, but as usual her characters become so real while you are reading that they become like friends. Tom Feather and Cathy Scarlet start a catering business and Binchy lets us know all about the ups and downs of their relationships while they deal with the day-to-day problems of their business. I'm sure I could see where some of the family stories were headed, but it's fun seeing how Binchy leads us into them.
Cecile
i found several of Binchy's books accidentally at the Uni book fair,intrigue because of the unique cover (not this one tho'),i also took Cooper Beech,Tara Road,and Quentins. these books are awesome!one of the reviews about the Binchy's works is that once we start to read it we'll find ourselves unable to stop.so true!there were sleepless nights on these.Binchy takes us the streets in Dublin and into the characters' life.Recommended.
Susan
Another great Maeve Binchy Boosk. Scarlett Feather is a catering company formed by friends. The book is their adventures: how they touch people's lives, help people and bring people together. I know it sounds boring, but if you love books about ordinary people with ordinary lives and problems and how they make their decisions, choices and how each affect the other, you will love Maeve Binchy! I do!
This was only my second Maeve Binchy book and I am really enjoying reading her. This particular book is 538 pages long and made my trip from DC to Alaska feel nice and short. I love her characters and the different ways they interact. I particularly liked the 9-year olds twins in this book. The plot wasn't all that fast moving but there were a few twists and turns that surprised me.
Jodie
At first this was a slow moving book & hard to get into, but I kept at it & am happy I did. The characters were likable, the setting is Ireland (so how can it be that bad), the story line was original. I really liked the twins.. they kept me giggling. Couldn't stand Cathy's mother-in-law or her husband. Thought Tom's girlfriend was selfish & all about herself. Next up, Quentins.
Don Jacobson
Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather went to culinary school together and started a catering company called Scarlet Feather. Binchy is a wizard at taking life's ordinary dramas and turning them into compelling sagas that demand your attention. Great characters inhabit her books and this is no exception. Highly recommended.
Roberta
Niente da fare, io e la Binchy non ci troviamo. Dopo Tara Road, anche questo romanzo si preannuncia rigido e macchiettistico. Dopo una trentina di pagine, decido di abbandonare, ci sono libri che mi ispirano di più nella mia libreria, questo andrà in beneficenza.

19/04/2013
Mallory
This novel follows a year in the tumult-filled life of a brand-new catering business in Dublin. As Tom Feather says, “The food’s no trouble, it’s just the people who are a pain.” Cathy Scarlet makes up the other half of Scarlet Feather, finally seeing her dreams come to life, but still having to fight and scrap for them every day. It’s a story full of family conflicts and the ordinary struggles of daily life. It also proves the adage that when you marry someone, you marry their family as well. P...more
Patricia
Scarlet Feather was the first book I ever read by Maeve Binchy. Normally I don't like to read such long books. Though I liked the characters in the book I found the story to be too dragging. I would have preferred it if Cathy and Tom had fallen in love before the very end of the book since the author chose to break off both their relationships. Also I found the part where they finally discover who had broken into their premises too dragging, after all they themselves had told the password to the...more
100 Books Challenge: Scarlet Feather - March 20, 2014 16 8 Apr 20, 2014 10:35AM
  • September
  • The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • Never Too Late
  • An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)
  • Downtown
  • Other People's Children
  • Almost A Crime
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Despite the fact she describes herself as an overweight child it was her parents attitude that gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she is today.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while....more
More about Maeve Binchy...
Tara Road Circle of Friends Evening Class A Week in Winter Quentins