Start by marking “Scarlet Feather” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Feather

Scarlet Feather

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  21,920 Ratings  ·  784 Reviews
Set in contemporary Ireland, filled with warmth, wit, and drama, Scarlet Feather is the story of Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather, their spouses, families, and friends, and the struggling new catering business that transforms their lives in ways big and small.
Published March 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet Feather, please sign up.

K.N A so true.......it felt like there is not even a gist on it.....

Helmisade
Jun 14, 2010 Helmisade rated it did not like it
This book promises that I will be "laughing and crying with Cathy, Tom and all their friends". Well, I was bored to tears if that counts?

Cathy and Tom, the main characters are clueless, stupid and completely lack the ability to stand up for themselves. You see, they are simple Irish folk who just want to make good food, have a solid marriage and make lots of Irish babies.

There are several other characters as well, but they are equally forgettable and annoying. Especially the coupple of mistreat
Lisa
Dec 15, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
This is easy listening at its best - perfect for accompanying dreary chores and Christmas prep!

The story spans a year in the life of Tom Feather and Cathy Scarlet who are trying to get their catering company off the ground and keep their personal relationships going. We meet their family and friends and all their stories intertwine to entertain you.

There are no twists and turns - this is a family saga / drama and was very enjoyable.

Maeve always manages to create characters that I like and want t
Heather
May 13, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
This is probably the 3rd or 4th book by Maeve Binchy that I've read... I read her books when I was in college and I have really loved her writing... She writes these intricate stories that involve a lot of characters and several story lines... they usually end up intertwined at the end in surprizing ways... Often main characters of one book will end up as supporting characters in another... That being said... I didn't LOVE this book the way I loved the others... The beginning of the book was slo ...more
Kellie
Aug 21, 2008 Kellie rated it it was amazing
I was a little nervous at the beginning of this book when more and more characters were added to the story. I was wondering if I should pull out an index card to keep track of them all. Well, Binchy does such a great job telling her story and developing her characters, no need for the index card. I absolutely adored this book. This has now become a rare gem in my library. This was so well told and so engaging, I couldn’t wait to get back to it. Although there are several characters, the main one ...more
Drebbles
Jun 26, 2009 Drebbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2004
Set over a period of one year, Scarlet Feather is a novel featuring Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather, who open a catering company together. As they deal with the joys and heartbreak of owning a business their relationship with each other changes as does their relationship with the other's around them,notably Cathy's husband, Neil, who is a lawyer who wants to save the world and Tom's beautiful girlfriend, Marcella, who will do just about anything to make it as a model. Also involved are Cathy's par ...more
Mary Pessaran
Nov 02, 2011 Mary Pessaran rated it it was amazing
I have read many Maeve Binchy books, and I have to say I haven't met one I didn't like. I decided to just pick one, because this one had characters that were repeated in other novels. Quentins, Nights of Rain and Stars, Heart and Soul, Evening Class, Minding Frankie. I love seeing the characters reappear, not as primary, but as secondary in other stories. Ms. Binchy's characters are her real strength, because they always feels like friends. And of course, the setting in Ireland (also Italy, Gree ...more
Book Concierge
3.5***

Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather met in culinary school and became fast friends. Now they’ve joined forces to start a catering company – Scarlet Feather. They’re young, energetic, and talented and have made some good connections. They’ve found the prefect premises to make their new business the best in Dublin. They know it will be hard work but they are ready to pursue their dream, and with the support of friends and family they feel sure they will succeed.

Binchy excels at writing ensemble pi
Marisa
Mar 17, 2008 Marisa rated it really liked it
This is the story of two people who start a catering business called Scarlet Feather and all of the goings on of the people in their life and how that affects their business. I just love this author because she just tells a story about people's lives and their thoughts and I find myself ingulged in their world the whole time I'm reading the book. It also made me think about the situation for children in foster homes and how we sometimes miss what is going on right in front of us because we're of ...more
Kimberly
May 09, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
There are a couple of writers that I read anything they write, and Maeve Binchy is one of those readers. When you pick up Scarlet Feather, you notice 2 things. 1, that this work is part of a larger story and 2, that it is good enough to stand alone.

Maeve's characters are always FULLY developed and you will occasionally find yourself shaking your head as some of the characters are just like people you may know in your personal life, warts and all. When I read her books, my mind can seriously "se
Deb
I am between 3 and 4 stars for this one but rounding up to 4 for sentimentality for Binchy and the foodie presence.

It has been a long time since I dug into a Binchy novel and although I have had a copy of Scarlet Feather sitting on my bookshelves, I had not gotten around to reading it. (In fact, I even forgot I had it and bought a hardback copy for $1 at the thrift store. Whoops!) Scarlet Feather is the story of Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather and their friends and family. Cathy and Tom met in cu
Chloe
Feb 13, 2017 Chloe rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, but I did have a few issues with it. This is the story of Scarlet Feather, a catering company run by Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather. The book follows their stories (Cathy and her attorney husband, Neil; Tom and his want to be model girlfriend, Marcella) and the rest of their families. Cathy married into a really wealthy family with a lot of demons and her parents end up taking care of Simon and Maude, Neil's 10 year old cousins. A lot of family drama goes on in this stor ...more
Belle
Jun 01, 2013 Belle rated it it was ok
I've been on a reading hiatus for about two months. To get back in the habit, I've decided to go for another Maeve Binchy book. Agreeing to one of her critics' words, I was looking for something that feels like coming home. And Scarlet Feather did not disappoint in the "feels like home" category.

Scarlet Feather is a story about Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather starting their own catering business. I liked reading about the challenges they faced and how much effort they all exerted to keep the busin
Georgie
Mar 22, 2012 Georgie rated it it was amazing
I have read three Maeve Binchy books so far - Tara Road, Quentin's, and Scarlet Feather. Scarlet Feather catering company and Tom and Cathy, and Simon and Maud are in 'Quentin's', so I was really excited to read this book and find out how it all began. I was not disappointed at all, in fact this is my favourite Binchy book so far.
Some people might have found all the stories about Tom and Cathy's catering jobs boring, but I really enjoyed reading about them, seeing how their company had successes
Lorraine
Feb 16, 2017 Lorraine rated it really liked it
A visit in another world, colourful, funny, touching. Can't help getting involved and hoping that the protagonists survive and thrive in the turmoil. Slightly hindered by the numerous point of view/ voice changes. I'll read more of her books. Good escapism.
Ria
May 10, 2013 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming tale of Tom Feather and Cathy Scarlet, friends and business partners trying to get their fledgling catering business Scarlet feather off the ground.
Things are not as easy as they at first hoped when they try to juggle their private lives alongside their business lives.
Both have complicated family issues and personal issues to resolve.
Tom and his girlfriend Marcella are struggling to keep their relationship alive as they move in different circles, Tom with his catering and her with her
Em
Jun 21, 2014 Em rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
Carissa
Oct 23, 2008 Carissa rated it it was amazing
this was the first audiobook i ever listened to on my work commute. i loved it so much that i haven't been without an audiobook of some kind pretty much ever since. so now, more than 5 years later, i thought it was worth a re-listen. i still loved it. maybe even more. maeve binchy creates such very likeable characters with such positive attitudes even in the face of terrible crises. and barbara caruso is a masterful narrator. she is the only narrator that i've ever gone out of my way to find boo ...more
Nathalia
Aug 05, 2013 Nathalia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Binchy, Twins, Catering-Service-Employees
Shelves: ireland, 2000s
What I learned from this book:

- Reading Ms. Binchys novel in the order in which they were published might really pay off, because she again mentioned characters that appeared in other novels and that would have been exiting, if I had read the books in which they are the main characters.
- Before you get married, you should really think hard and be honest with yourself, before making stupid promises to the other, that you might not mean to keep.
- Never say never.
- Putting down other peoples dream
Jennifer Tanabe
Mar 23, 2013 Jennifer Tanabe rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of Maeve Binchy, have been since I first encountered her books in our local library. She writes about Ireland, her home, with great affection, and much of what she writes reminds me of my upbringing in Scotland.

Scarlet Feather is not the first or last of her books that I read, nor is it really her best. But there's something about it that just drew me in and made me want to read it again. I think it's the twins, Simon and Maude, and the way they interact with the other characters to b
Peggy L
Dec 17, 2011 Peggy L rated it it was amazing
This is one of many Maeve Binchy books that I have read. Ms Binchy has a knack for building characters that fit into each other's stories. If you read Quentin's you know exactly what I mean. You find the main caharacter in one book as a minor character in another. Ms Binchy builds what feels like whole communities and makes you want to know each and every character in every book. Scarlet Feather is the story of a couple start a catering business, and before they have found a building for their b ...more
Kim
Feb 09, 2017 Kim rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and if it wasn't 600 pages long, I'd open it back up and read it all over again. I loved this book. I've only ever read Tara Road, but I guess I'm about to read all of Maeve Binchy's books.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Dec 08, 2009 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2011
Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather have big dreams of getting their catering company, Scarlet Feather, off the ground. They face unexcited in-laws and partners who just don't understand. Will they be able to follow their dreams?

I've said this before but one of the things I like best about Maeve Binchy's books is that they tell really good character stories. Cathy Scarlet is one of my favorite Binchy characters so far. She's a big dreamer but has the ability to actually follow through in order to meet
Colleen
Apr 12, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure why I liked this book so much. It wasn't a "big message" book, really, but it was charming. The appeal had something to do with how likeable the characters were, despite very obvious flaws. It had something to do with how the characters forgave each other their flaws and supported each other, regardless. It had something to do with the pluck shown by so many of the characters. The plot was unique, the characters were unique, and plot and message were compelling and uplifting.
Susan
Jul 22, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another great Maeve Binchy Boosk. Scarlett Feather is a catering company formed by friends. The book is their adventures: how they touch people's lives, help people and bring people together. I know it sounds boring, but if you love books about ordinary people with ordinary lives and problems and how they make their decisions, choices and how each affect the other, you will love Maeve Binchy! I do!
Icewineanne
Aug 04, 2015 Icewineanne rated it it was amazing
Maeve Binchy is such a wonderful storyteller. If you enjoy books by Catherine Cookson, you will love Scarlet Feather, all about relationships. Her books lift your spirits. I read this book years ago but I still wanted to give it a rating on Goodreads. Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago. I met her in person many times and she was such a beautiful person, having the wit and charm that she displayed in her stories. Five Stars Maeve, we'll miss you!
Mary
Feb 05, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
I don't know that this is the best of Maeve Binchy, but as usual her characters become so real while you are reading that they become like friends. Tom Feather and Cathy Scarlet start a catering business and Binchy lets us know all about the ups and downs of their relationships while they deal with the day-to-day problems of their business. I'm sure I could see where some of the family stories were headed, but it's fun seeing how Binchy leads us into them.
Cecile
Nov 24, 2010 Cecile rated it really liked it
i found several of Binchy's books accidentally at the Uni book fair,intrigue because of the unique cover (not this one tho'),i also took Cooper Beech,Tara Road,and Quentins. these books are awesome!one of the reviews about the Binchy's works is that once we start to read it we'll find ourselves unable to stop.so true!there were sleepless nights on these.Binchy takes us the streets in Dublin and into the characters' life.Recommended.
Jodie
Jan 01, 2013 Jodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
At first this was a slow moving book & hard to get into, but I kept at it & am happy I did. The characters were likable, the setting is Ireland (so how can it be that bad), the story line was original. I really liked the twins.. they kept me giggling. Couldn't stand Cathy's mother-in-law or her husband. Thought Tom's girlfriend was selfish & all about herself. Next up, Quentins.
Don
May 16, 2013 Don rated it it was amazing
Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather went to culinary school together and started a catering company called Scarlet Feather. Binchy is a wizard at taking life's ordinary dramas and turning them into compelling sagas that demand your attention. Great characters inhabit her books and this is no exception. Highly recommended.
Inger Hutton
Mar 23, 2014 Inger Hutton rated it really liked it
I found this book a sad finish since it started so hopefully and Cathy & her husband were so in love. I realize life is like that but I do like Pollyanna endings. Got some good ideas for cooking since the book was about a catering business and I am launching into doing a High Tea for 50 people.
The twin brother and sister were delightful.
Play Book Tag: Scarlet Feather / Maeve Binchy. 3.5 stars 2 11 Mar 18, 2017 05:31PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Scarlet Feather 1 3 Jul 15, 2014 10:52AM
100 Books Challenge: Scarlet Feather - March 20, 2014 16 11 Apr 20, 2014 10:35AM
  • Winter Solstice
  • The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2)
  • The Alphabet Sisters
  • Never Too Late
  • Downtown
  • Country Lovers (Barleybridge #3)
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...