Start by marking “Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)” as Want to Read:
Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)

Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  851 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In the third book of the "Flicka" trilogy, Ken discovers to his horror that Thunderhead is roaming wild, causing trouble wherever he goes. He also has trouble at home, and thinks that his dreams can never come true; but then his feelings for Carey begin to change.
Published 2004 by Egmont Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Green Grass of Wyoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Grass of Wyoming

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
36th out of 747 books — 414 voters
Three by Tennessee by Tennessee WilliamsThe Samaritan's Pistol by Eric BishopResurrecting Lazarus, Texas by Nathan BarberA Religious Orgy in Tennessee by H.L. MenckenNotes on the State of Virginia by Thomas Jefferson
Name of State (USA): T-W
6th out of 110 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole
Unlike the previous books this story looks at an adult woman's role in the difficult setting and harsh life style of running a ranch. Life is not simple or easy especially with another child in her later years. Nell is suffering from anxiety and is estranged from Rob over difficulties she experiences but has trouble articulating. The passion and failures between the two are brought out in this story to show the growth that continues throughout life. Nell, her children, and life on the ranch in a...more
Susan Grodsky
A wonderful old-fashioned novel with evocative descriptions, a plot that gallops along, and a thoroughly adult main character, Nell. But there are also horses, dogs, cats, a very sweet romance, and a coming of age subplot. Reading this book is sort of like getting a nickel cherry coke at the drugstore soda fountain. It's not sophisticated but it's good and you are ever so grateful that there's still a soda fountain.
Tracy Kriese
This is My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead for the grown-ups, with the focus on Nell and her marriage to Rob. Compelling, not just entertaining. I read it for itself, not just as the sequel to the above two...of the three, this is the one I reread as an adult.
Jenny R
Mary O'Hara was writing young adult before it was a thing. This is a beautiful little book about boy's coming of age, his relationship with his home and his horses, and the responsibilities all that incurs.

OK, so it's a little trope-y. Its ending is pat and not all that believable. But O'Hara takes her characters seriously, dealing with issues of faith (including a 10+ page diversion into the nature and love of God), marriage and brotherhood. Her narrative from the perspective of the horses is q...more
Kristen
This is not a children's novel. A very tame 1940's type novel that probably some kids could read, but belongs in the adult fiction. And it is about horses. And there is a romance. And a nervous break down. And a raging bull. And a lot about Wyoming that sounded pretty true to the setting. That was my favorite part the Wyoming setting.

I didn't really love it, but I don't like animal characters. I'm giving it a 3 because it is not a bad book, if you like animals who have feelings and are given emo...more
Tanis
Oct 27, 2008 Tanis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Just a note - I have the hardcover edition but that didn't turn up on my search. I'm not too worried about it. I was excited to find a book about Wyoming - it's my native state! :)
WOW! EVERYBODY SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! Ok, I'm done with all caps. Mary O'Hara is officially one of the most talented writers I've ever read. I was completely and totally sucked into this story. It's romantic, exciting, suspenseful, very very intense (especially toward the end when you're flying through the pages wonder...more
C
Last of the My Friend Flicka Trilogy, and Ken's final coming of age tale.

More sprawling than the initial two books, this takes you off the ranch and out of the mountains.

Wraps up the series nicely. Ken is clearly still very sensitive. Nell has more gems of wisdom and insight to offer regarding life and adulthood.

I had to hunt this book down and re-order it after a fire, years ago, not realizing it was out of print. It was definitely worth the work to get myself another copy. Didn't feel right...more
Julie
it was ok not a horse person was a present as a teenager a long time ago
Tanya
I loved this book! Read it in my teens after the other 2 of course and it was my favourite! Perfectly dramatic and full of horses, it fulfilled all my teenage longing. O'Hara writes so descriptively about the beauty of Wyoming. If the subject were relevant and popular today, the film version of this book would require a set like that of the Lord of the Rings trilogy to truly bring it to justice. I was very disappointed with the most recent version of Flicka(Black horse?? Really?)but I know this...more
Sjcastano
This was one of my favorite books when I was growing up
Rob
If THunderhead is at least an adultish teen book, Green Grass of Wyoming is definitely an adult book. Ken is no longer even the center: it's his mother, Nell who takes center stage for most of the novel. It's a great horse book, but don't class it in with The Black Stallion or even My Friend Flicka.

Having said that, Green Grass of Wyoming is not just a horse book, and I think any reader who wants an interesting examination of human relationships should give it a look.
Vicki
yes, this was a favorite, still is, but I always used to skip the chapter where Nell gets philosophical on the meaning of life and love. It was too much, too deep, for the horse-crazy kid that I was. Get on to the mountain scenery, the semi-wild horses or the race scene, already! Good read for the young teen who still loves a horse story with a sweet romance.
Anie
Alas, this one wasn't as good as My Friend Flicka or Thunderhead. I found the writing a bit clumsy at times, especially on some of the apparent Christian tirades that pop up, and didn't find Casey and Ken's relationship to be well-drawn or even very plausible. Worth the time, yes, but not to the extent that the earlier books are.
Heather Denigan
I liked "Green Grass of Wyoming" as a young girl because it was both a horse book and a romance. Though again, like the previous two, there was much of the family drama that I just didn't understand. However, I did learn the valuable expression, "Go chase yourself"--although I've never had a reason to use.
Harini Srinivasan
Green Grass of Wyoming unnecessarily reopens things that had been beautifully resolved in Thunderhead. Plus, Nell's sense of injury, which was mildly off-putting in the earlier book, gets really irritating in this one. Is there a lesson for serial writers here?
H. Gibson
Chronicles of Han Storm Book Club Read

A classical book describing life, relationships and survival in the Australian Bush. Subconsciously, the lessons stuck and helped me through tough times in my own life. A definite read for any child that likes animals.
Megan
My mom has been telling me to read this series my whole life and I finally did and loved them! I liked My Friend Flicka the best. It was so sweet and full of true love; Ken and his horse Flicka. You couldn't ask for a better summer series!
Rayni
One of my favorite books. Somehow I remember this one more than the first 2. I think that I would need to read these books as an adult to get all the nuances that I would have missed as a child.
Cynthia L.
Aug 03, 2008 Cynthia L. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults and 20-something women
What a treat! Read it again as the first of three (not the last) for the first time is a good 30 years and loved it as a woman, as a reader, as a writer, and as gentleman farmer.
Jk
The third and last of my childhood horse-crazy series. A little wordier than the other two - but equally as enjoyable.
bert-bobbi
Though it was written in 1946 and therefore has the writing style of that era, it is a great book, with many little subplots.
Loved it. Nothing like I remember the movie, but I think her descriptions are fantastic and insightful.
Kina
I LOVED this book! It has adventure and romance and wonderful values and a simplicity that is refreshing.
Ellen
Apr 28, 2008 Ellen added it
the last in the trilogy of flicka books. ken grows up and falls in love. a nice, simple, sweet read.
Leigh
Why, oh, why don't they write books like this anymore? Great rural coming of age stories...
Sandy
another tear jerker for this horse loving young girl..... wonderful wonderful wonderful
Mary Jackson
Another one of my favorite childhood books...I read this book several times.
Cecelia
I like what I read but I didn't have time to finish
Cheri
Oh, I loved all the books by Mary O'Hara.
Mary
Feb 13, 2009 Mary added it
The last of the My Friend Flicka series...
Goodreads Librari...: book has wrong publication date I believe 2 16 Dec 01, 2013 04:49PM
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
Mary O’Hara Alsop, an American author, screenwriter, and composer, was born July 10, 1885, in Cape May, N.J., to Reese Fell Alsop and Mary Lee (Spring). She grew up in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y., where her father was an Episcopal clergyman.

In 1905, Ms. O'hara married Kent Kane Parrot, whom she later divorced. Her second marriage to Helge Sture-Vasa from Sweden in 1922 also ended in divorce in 1947. Ms...more
More about Mary O'Hara...
My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1) Thunderhead (Flicka, #2) The Catch Colt Green Grass Of Wyoming 1 Wyoming Summer

“Looking backward through life, one can see the points of change like great locks through which one glides on a flood wave, so smoothly, on such irresistible power that one is hardly aware of any movement. But life is never the same again. One has gone through the lock and lives on a new level.” 11 likes