Start by marking “True Stories of Law & Order: SVU” as Want to Read:
True Stories of Law & Order: SVU

True Stories of Law & Order: SVU

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The real-life cases behind TV's hit crime drama-including photos!

The crimes, the suspects, the trials-as they really went down.

True Stories of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit focuses on twenty-five of the scandalous true crimes that real detectives have grappled with- the facts behind the fictionalized stories on the phenomenally popular TV show. Beyond the actual c
Published November 6th 2007 by Berkley Trade (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about True Stories of Law & Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Stories of Law & Order

Anita Dalton
You know, I read this because I got a cheap copy. I don't watch much TV but I can never read about true crime, so why not take a chance. This book was surprisingly entertaining, and the writers can write some mean true crime. It takes no small amount of skill to make a book transcend the gimmick behind it but these two managed. Moreover, you have to be pretty good at what you do to make true crime entertaining without making it exploitative. Both managed it. I went and checked both authors out i ...more
Nancy
I ordered this from PaperBackSwap's marketplace recently because I used to be slightly ridiculous in my watching of SVU and I am a huge fan of true crime reads. Episodes from SVU are referenced at the start of each chapter followed by a description of the case that inspired the episode. While an interesting read, I would have preferred fewer episodes so as there could be more details. Also, there were references to things that sounded super interesting with notes like "because of space limitatio ...more
Eva Leger
I absolutely love all these books! Both of the authors are amazing and I'm so happy they took this on and gave us these books. I'm not even the biggest Law & Order fan but I am a true crime reader (sometimes, that is) and seeing the real cases behind the shows is way cool.
This has some cases that everyone has heard of, the Bernardo and Homolka story, Albert DeSalvo, etc. and others that are more quite and weren't made well known. I definitely recommend this to any fan of the show or any tru
Whitney
provides good info. very succint. the writing was lacking but also understandable due to the content
Diana
Law & Order is famous for their "ripped from the headlines" stories, and this book details some of the most notorious cases used.

This book definitely assumes you are familiar with the show, as the storylines are only briefly summarized in one sentence. But the cases themselves are usually well written and informative.
Lauren
I picked up this book for about 4 dollars at Border's, as L&O:SVU is one of my favorite shows. It's a very unique book, taking some of the show's biggest cases, and revealing the real life events they were based on. Chilling, eerie, and at times downright scary, this book provided a dose of real to my book shelf. Very detailed, well researched.
T.M. Carper
Good true crime stories. There's some infamous cases and some other less well-known cases, including one that I learned about in my criminalistics class (Chapter 12's case, actually). It is mainly about the real-life cases, not the TV version of the cases, but it does say what episodes the cases link to.
Meredith
Brianna Jones
Of all the true crime I have ever read this was one of the hardest. The stories are twisted and gruesome but for some reason it is compelling to read. It is written really well and tells the stories of about 25 cases that were used to give the writers ideas for the show.
Kirsti
I don't think I've ever actually seen this show, but I enjoyed reading about the real cases that its writers used as the basis of different episodes. (The book is unauthorized and not affiliated with the show.)
Bethany
Not to read before bed. It was good, but probably better to read as you saw the episodes because I didn't recall most of the episodes so it was just a collection of random crime stories for me.
Lucie Hayward
I'm a huge Law & Order: SVU fan and thought this book would be interesting reading. Not so much. It wasn't very well written, nor was it as detailed as I'd have hoped.
Christina
I don't usually read true crime books, but SVU is one of my favorite shows. This book was a fast read and did not have graphic details of the crimes.
Amy
I love Law and Order...so this was a great read for me!
It told the true stories behind the episodes...where the writers got thier ideas.
Mark
Good summary of chosen cases that were "ripped from the headlines" or at least inspired later Law and Order SVU episodes.
Arlene Allen
A total reminder why I do not read true crime. I don't know what I was thinking. I read maybe half the book and couldn't sleep.
Unsolved Mystery
Another fun tv read. I love the show, and this book.

This book tells true accounts: SVU style.

Each case is different.

Mary
Reads like something someone cobbled together to make a buck from the popularity of the Law & Order franchise.
Sheena  at Hot Eats and Cool Reads
This book was interesting and I liked that they are short stories so you can read them here and there.
Venus Glancy
So far,I think that it is a good book,and am enjoying it.I have read this book,and it is a good read.
Katelynn Nutt
I think this book is eye opening, when you read this book it make you think twice about many things...
Marisa
Aug 25, 2010 Marisa added it
Shelves: i-own, non-fiction
I love the show Law and Order:SVU and it was very interesting to read the stories behind the ideas.
Amanda Padgett
I really enjoyed reading this book. However, it made me realize just how twisted some people are.
Laurie Stoll
Good but I am not a big fan of short stories. True crime.
Tiffany
Definitely a good read if you like stories of true crimes.
Khrystie
I enjoyed this one.
Denise Toibes
Denise Toibes marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • Forensic Science of CSI
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • Forensic Detective: How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases
  • Mortal Evidence: The Forensics Behind Nine Shocking Cases
  • Psycho USA: Famous American Killers You Never Heard Of
  • Women Who Kill: Profiles of Female Serial Killers
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer
  • Dark Dreams: A Legendary FBI Profiler Examines  Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Cruel Deception
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • The Case Of Mary Bell: A Portrait of a Child Who Murdered
True Stories of Law & Order: The Real Crimes Behind the Best Episodes of the Hit TV Show