Start by marking “Defy Not the Heart” as Want to Read:
Defy Not the Heart

Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  4,871 ratings  ·  125 reviews
In Clydon Castle, 1192, Reina is taken captive by the knight Ranulf and chosen to partner the despised Lorth Rothwell. Instead she offers herself to Ranulf, with a promise to make him a great lord. Ranulf, a golden giant of a man finds that he passionately desires this proud, headstrong beauty.
Published August 3rd 2000 by Severn House Publishers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Defy Not the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defy Not the Heart

Shelley
Ohhhh, you guys. 1989, such an odd time for romance novels - not quite old school, not quite new. To wit:
1. Fabio is on the cover. In purple tights. Because that's totally what men wore in 1192.
2. Seriously awesome, kick ass, take charge heroine, whom we meet wearing armor and defending her keep, which she has been in charge of for a few years. She's 17.
3. Causing marriage by rape is frowned upon.
4. Kidnapping? Go for it!
5. Husband-to-be agrees to write it in their marriage contract that he'll...more
KC
I've often found Johanna Lindsey's stories to be either lukewarm or heavy on the Rapey McRaperton with not a ton of substance. However, and despite having Fabio on the cover (barf!), this story won me over. I loved Ranulf Fitz Hugh and more so his lady, Reina.

Don't know that I'd fully qualify this story as a Bodice Ripper, though it definitely had some elements. There was definitely the build up, which began with contempt that eventually turned to love. But not just love. Mutual respect, admira...more
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
Juliet
This is another of the "fave" romance novels of my preteen years.

About the COVER:
I don't know how I feel, to be completely honest. Okay I'll admit it. I love this cover.

Yes Fabio is hilarious. Yes he's wearing lavender tights. Yes her hair is blowing in the breeze and her bosom is heaving. Yes his chest is gleaming and grossly oiled and his hair is long.

But it's like a CLASSIC ROMANCE NOVEL COVER. The font in the title is FABULOUS. The metallic shadowing. love it. I swear I even think the compos...more
Noelle
I had read some reviews about this book before I had started it and some said the the writing of the dialog really bothered them, so I was prepared to not really like the book. However, it didn't bother me at all and I did really enjoy the book. IMO, it is a differnt kind of Johanna Lindsey book in that there really wasn't any emotional drama. The two main charcters made a choice to marry and made the best of the situation. There was no huge misunderstandings, no cheating, no dire escapades. The...more
Jane Stewart
Fun, fulfilling and enjoyable romance novel.

Good characters. Good plot. Events are well done. I had no problems with this. I definitely liked Reina, her sharp wit and directness. She called Ranulf names when appropriate and argued with him. He wasn’t used to that. He was a neat character. This book was similar to Lindsey’s other well done novels.

Story brief: Reina’s father is wealthy. He dies before he can arrange a marriage for his daughter, but he communicates to his overlord that he has agree...more
Kit★
3.5 Stars! This is one of the many books I came away with after our hoard-house clean-out awhile back. Got rid of most of them, but decided to go ahead and keep it since I'd had the second in this set on the TBR for years, and now I know I'll one day read it too.
I wasn't sure if I was ever going to read it, but it turned out I had to read it after all, it was picked as my September pick over in Western and Medieval Romance Lovers. This was my first book by this author, and I was pleasantly surpr...more
Caroline The HEA Lover
Pretty cute! Ad for ONCE, the hero is NOT a god in the sack! He's awful and the heroine won't let this pass. Usually the heroes are always sex gods this one had to work for it, see? it's never too late to learn! ;)

I adored the secondary characters on that one.
Markirah Shaw
Not sure why I have a copy of this book. Somebody must have given it to me a decade or so ago, because I would never have bought something like this of my own free will. Nevertheless, I found it in one of my boxes of books and decided to read it.

Considering the genre, it wasn't half bad. In a nutshell, a handsome grouchy giant meets and falls in lust (then in love) with a petite, self-possessed, pretty young woman - a beloved formula for romance novels.

The characters' see-sawing emotions would...more
Seffra
3.5/5 Stars....maybe 4/5 stars

Johanna Lindsay really knows how to weave a wonderful tale. She has a way of writing a story that readers can't help but read and READ until it's done.
I really liked the character of Ranulf who was at first annoying and rude and a huge ass but once Miss Reina came into his life he became a better person and oh man he's a big sweetheart. Raina on the other hand was a tad bit annoying. I'm all for strong-willed females but she didn't know when to put her foot in her m...more
Racelia
Review yang saya berikan sangat subjektif, bergantung pada selera pribadi saya.

Review saya untuk cerita ini tidak akan terlalu panjang karena saya sudah agak lupa dengan ceritanya. Seharusnya selesai baca langsung tulis reviewnya.

Cerita ini berlatar Inggris pada abad pertengahan. Lady Reina sudah tidak punya siapa-siapa lagi, sehingga ia harus melindungi dirinya sendiri dan kastilnya. Siapa yang tidak tertarik untuk memiliki kastil dan lahannya? Dari yang saya tangkap melalui cerita ini, jika pe...more
Belinda
I like Johann Lindsey's books and this one is over the top. You get one handsome, blond, masculine hunk of a man who turns every woman's crank. This being historical romance and funny too. Ranulf is a landless knight who only wants to get enough money to buy land. He has been hired to kidnap Reina for the despised Lord Rothwell who wants to marry her. But Reina is no fool, she gets Ranulf to marry her because she knows that land is important to her husband. I love Ranulf's cat who was petted by...more
Ana
I never thought I would ever use the adjective sweet to describe one of Johanna Lindsey's books. I've always had a love-hate relationship with her stories especially the older ones. I found her heroes to be not heroes at all but chauvinistic pigs (most of them). But this novel was a revelation! I absolutely adored Ranulf! At last, a medieval warrior who does not have the upper hand. In this case, it is Reina who wields all the power in their relationship! Their love was sweet and grew slowly but...more
Kim
really good book
Diar Dwi Oktasari
Reina dan Ranulf. Reina, pewaris kastil Clydon setelah ayahnya gugur dalam perang. Reina ini masih muda dan mungil, namun tegas dan suka memerintah. Harus menanggung beban dan niatan2 buruk? penguasa wilayah lain yang ingin mengusai Clydon dengan menikahinya.
Ranulf, seorang Knight yang disewa oleh penguasa dari mana gitu, untuk membawa Reina untuk dinikahkan oleh penguasa itu datang ke Clydon saat kastil itu sedang diserang. Reina yang mengira kalau bantuan sudah datang, merasa lega saat Ranulf...more
Marie
Bintang 3
Buku ke 1 seri Wyoming.

Pandangan mata dapat menipu. Untuk itu seseorang harus dapat bertindak bijaksana dan berlaku adil dalam menghadapi segala sesuatu yg menjadi masalah. Apalagi jika masalah itu menyangkut seseorang yg penting dalam hidup kita. Kebenaran sejati harus kita ketahui sebelun memutuskan untuj bertindak ataupun berkata kata. Sepertinya inilah yg ingin disampaikan dalam kisah ini.

Dimulai dengan prolog yg penuh dengan kekecewaan, "penghianatan"(?), ketidakbahagiaan dan kesal...more
Yenny toh
seri shefford's knights yang ini tentang Ranulf dan Reina.terjebak dalam pernikahan yang sama2 tidak mereka inginkan,Ranulf tidak pernah membayangkan akan menikah,apalagi menikah dengan reina,lady yang bertubuh mungil pewaris kastil Clydon.
Reina yang sudah memiliki tunangan,namun tunanganny mati diperang salib.ayahny juga meninggal dalam perang salib.mengakibatkan kastil Cyldon dan Reina dalam bahaya.Reina diculik oleh orang suruhan Rothwell,Ranulf.
Reina dihadapkan pada pilihan menikahi seoran...more
Fiary
Novel JL yang satu ini (dari seri Shefford's Knights dengan setting cerita abad 12) membuatku senyum-senyum, lalu tergelak dan kemudian tertawa terbahak-bahak. Selain karena, gaya, tingkah dan karakter hero/heroine nya yang senang adu argumen, juga karena tingkah polah Theo dan Lady Ella. Benar-benar Theo dan Lady Ella menjadi penyemarak novel ini.

Sesuai dengan judul terjemahannya, maka biarkanlah hati Reina de Champeney of Clydon yang memilih siapa yang layak menjadi pendamping hidupnya. Dan Re...more
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Fanny Roswita Ria
Pertengkaran Ranulf dan Reina sering banget menjadi hal yg menggemaskan,apalagi saat mereka berdua merasa sama-sama benar bisa-bisa pengarangnya menyelesaikan novel ini dengan 1000 halaman lebih:-))

Ranulf memiliki sifat yang kasar, tidak suka dibantah, arogan (ini mah sifat khasnya Harlequin), mandiri, keras kepala dan tidak romantis. bertemu dengan Lady Reina yang terbiasa dipatuhi, cepat naik darah, tidak suka dengan kekerasan, terlalu ikut campur dan merasa bahwa semua gampang diselesaikan.

Se...more
Monique J.
Defy Not the Heart features my favorite Lindsey hero—the gruff yet noble Ranulf Fitzhugh. Set in medieval England (circa 1192), the castle of Lady Reina de Champeney is under seige. In the hopes of forcing Lady Reina to wed, the dastardly Lord Rothwell has hired the brave and oh-so-buff Ranulf to kidnap the noblewoman. But Reina is no shrinking violet. She quickly comes up with a proposition for Ranulf—he should marry her himself. And from the way Lindsey describes the golden-haired knight, I’d...more
Joy

Amusing. I can't recall a time when I've ever found one of Johanna Lindsey's novels remotely amusing but the reviews made me pick it up and give it a go.

A woman has got to do what a woman has got to do. That’s the state petite Reina finds herself in to protect her holding, her people and herself. Enter a golden giant of a man knight Ranulf sent on a specific mission that Reina thwarts forthwith. Instead he finds himself tied to her, determined to turn the tables on the canny wench. He issues his...more
Brenda
Seperti biasa novel2 JL selalu gak mengecewakan, kali ini berkisah tentang kehidupan Jessica Blair, seorang gadis yang harus hidup di dalam kepahitan dan kebencian, karna ibunya yang telah mengkhianati ayahnya.

Ayah Jessie telah meninggal sekarang, ibunya datang kembali ke kehidupan Jessie untuk merawat-nya. Jessie tentu tidak dapat menerima semua itu, apalagi ditambah dengan kedatangan Chase Summers, seorang pria yang datang bersama ibunya.

Inti cerita-nya adalah Jessie mengira kalau ibu-nya suda...more
Regan Walker
Not Lindsey's best story...

The first book I read by Johanna Lindsey was HEARTS AFLAME, the 2nd in the Haargard Medieval Viking trilogy and it was a keeper. That made me want to read more, so I went to the rest of the trilogy (FIRES OF WINTER and SURRENDER MY LOVE). They were good but not as good. The same is true of DEFY NOT THE HEART but to a lesser degree. It is not her writing--that is good: good dialog, good character development and the setting true to the historical period. Rather, it is t...more
Brandy
May 09, 2008 Brandy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up purely for the comic value of the front cover. It has Fabio on it. It wasn't as great as some of her other works, but I found the hero to be quite humerous in a very serious sort of way. Ranulf contemplates taking a job to collect a reluctant bride, agrees to investigate and may or may not take the job, his decision based only on his own whim. He decides to take the job but hasn't told the groom he would, nor when to expect the job to be completed. The heroine, Reina, learn...more
Red
Syifa Adiba
Well, buku ini adalah... sesuatu banget. Sebelumnya, udah pernah baca seri lainnya Johanna Lindsey yang judulnya Until Forever dan cukup terkesima dengan sang tokoh utama, Thorn. Meskipun, dia ga seganteng Roarke. *ups*

Dan, berhubung sekarang lagi musim ujan... Dan waktu itu, lagi neduh di kosan temen. *makin ga nyambung* Saya pun iseng ke rak buku dan menemukan tiga buku cukup seksi yang terpampang di rak buku.

Berikut percakapan nista antara saya dan teman saya ditemani hujan gerimis kelabu. Da...more
Mariah
I loved this book. It was truly wonderful. I would say Perfect.

There were several twists and turns of sad/happy events. The Characters are truly wonderful. They were written with great personalitys.

Plus there is a gay guy in here. I have read "most" of Johanna's Books.

I only have 4 more books to go and I'm done with all the books she have ever written.

It has almost have taken 1 and half years. and I read several different authors in between them and NOT once was there a gay guy in either one...more
Funzee Shu

Oh ini sungguh adalah bacaan yaaaaang amaaaaat sangaaaaaaaat.....MELELAHKAN, pemirsaaaaaaaa !!!!!

Sumpah-asli capek tobat bacanya !

Ceritanya muuuter-muter ga jelas !
Baik hero maupun heroine nya super duper annoying to the max !!
Dan.....ngapain juga masuk2in moment2 dan tokoh2 yg ga penting di sepanjang cerita ????

Mana banyak momen2 yg seharusnya bisa membuat terhura jd "lewat" begitu sajah !

Gw emang agak kurang "kena" kali yee dg author yg 1 ini....
Dari bbrp buku dia yg gw sudah baca, cuma bbrp y...more
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)
  • The Taming (Peregrine, #1)
  • Golden Surrender (Viking, #1)
  • The Falcon and the Flower (Medieval Plantagenet, #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • Gypsy Lady
  • Fire Song (Siren Song, #3)
  • Lord Of My Heart (Dark Champion #1)
  • The Conqueror
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Enchanted (Medieval, #3)
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom...more
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Prisoner of My Desire Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)