Start by marking “Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel, #3)

Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel - author's suggested reading order #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  38 reviews

Published March 21st 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Game of Patience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game of Patience

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Paris, 1796. Aristide Ravel, freelance undercover police agent and investigator, is confronted with a double murder in a fashionable apartment. The victims prove to be Célie Montereau, the daughter of a wealthy and influential family, and the man who was blackmailing her.

Célie's enigmatic and bitter friend Rosalie Clément provides Aristide with intelligence that steers him toward Philippe Aubry, a young man with a violent past who had been in love with Cél
Talia
OK, I definitely recommend this book! It was a really good read. I stumbled, at first, with the historical terminology. I will admit – with some embarrassment – that my knowledge of French history is very limited. I didn’t even realize that there ever was a Republic with its own calendar, terminology, etc.
But, this book was excellent because it seamlessly incorporated that into the story. The foreword and brief explanation of the French calendar during the Republic was extremely helpful, too.

Th
LJ
First Sentence: Aristide did not often set foot in the Place de Grève.

Aristide Ravel is an freelance police investigator working for Commissaire Brasseur in Paris. They are called to a fashionable apartment to view a double murder scene. One victim; the apartment owner and, they learn, a blackmailer. The other victim; a young woman from a wealthy family and the blackmailer’s victim. A friend of the young woman, Rosalie Clèment, points Ravel toward a handsome young man, Philippe Aubry, who the v
Cindy
Aristide Ravel is a police agent. In his time, 1796, that means that he is an investigator, although some agents are nothing more than police spies. But he is called in on a double homicide. Both victims, a young society girl and an older gentleman are both found shot dead in the man's apartment. The police have a lot of trails to follow, first identifying the dead girl, then trying to decide which was the intended victim and who might have wanted them dead.

At the same time, the whole city is st
Fiona715
First time I'd ever read anything by this author and it won't be the last. Thoroughly enjoyed the mystery (and didn't figure out who'd done it until it was revealed) but most of all found the picture of life after the French Revolution -- and before the rise of Napoleon -- fascinating.
Kristin
I have mixed feelings about this book. I remember being really excited about it when I heard about the series (French Revolution and mystery!). Since I'm currently listening to (and loving) The Black Count, I thought this would be a nice companion read. I can't tell if this book suffered from my expectations of it, or if I just wasn't my kind of mystery.

For the setting--I felt like I didn't have a real sense of why or how the Directory (the time period of the book) was different from a general h
Shiela
A young woman of reputable status is found dead in her blackmailer’s apartment in post-Revolutionary France. Tortured by the events in his own past, undercover police agent Aristide Ravel is called upon to investigate these crimes and soon finds himself entangled with a friend of the victim who seems to know more than she lets on. Aristide must learn the truth before the wrong person is sent to the guillotine.

Full of rich historical detail, Game of Patience was a wonderful mystery set in betwee
Zuzana Urbanek
I adored reading this book! When I started, I cringed a bit as it began with a glossary of terms, figuring it might be wrapped in esoteric historical cobwebs. But the historic facts and atmosphere are as artfully crafted as a lush period film (makes me want to revisit Paris and go to places the characters frequented) and add a rich layer to an excellent murder mystery. The mystery itself is intricate and, even if one figures out parts of it (as I did), there are still other details that emerge a ...more
Babette
This is the first in Susanne Alleyn's series set in Paris just after the Revolution. (Note: I just learned that this is really the third book in the series. The first book is The Cavalier of the Apocalypse. So much for the accuracy of some websites.) Part of my enjoyment of this book was due to the description of the city and the way of life there during this period. The plot itself is complex, and the main character, Aristide Ravel, struggles with personal emotions and ethical issues as he aids ...more
Blaire
Stephanie
Aristide Ravel is a police spy in France post-revolution though he prefers to to look on his work as investigation rather than spying. Citizen Ravel is asked to look a pair of shootings by Commissaire Brasseur when the bodies of a young woman and a man are found dead in his apartment.

This was a very interesting look at a time period that I am not all that familiar with. Post-revolutionary France was very strange, with their own calendar, a different way of addressing people (Citizen or Citizenes
DL
Darn. I only just found out now that this is the third installment of a series. I have to give the author kudos because the book gave me no clue that I was missing any prior information. I'm a bit sad because Ravel had a secret which was revealed in this book and I'll already know it when I start on book 1. Excellent mystery and a very engaging MC.
Updated to add that according to other reviews I am not the only one to have thought this was the first in the series. I hope that misinformation gets
Karen
Good portrayal of Paris in 1796 both for the history buff and for those of us who don't know much about what Paris was really like at that time. Love the integration of Sanson-there is always one of the Sanson's lingering in the wings in Alleyn's books and I do love the strength and character of these men. Alleyn's descriptions of sights, sounds and smells are so vivid that you feel as if you can see, hear and smell them. Reading her books is an experience. I find myself so engrossed that a revo ...more
Kundan
Set during the French Revolution. A detective novel with many twists and turns. Good insight into life at the time. Good characters and motives.
Mary G.
This is first in the series and it was fun reading about what life was like during the French Revolution.
Trisha
Really like this author! Easy to read and held my interest
Bethany Andrews
Aug 31, 2007 Bethany Andrews rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery buffs
"Game of Patience" opens in 1796 post revolutionary Paris. A police "investigator" (as he prefers to be called, rather than an informer or a spy) by the name of Aristide Ravel is called upon to assist in solving a double murder case. The two victims, an extortionist named Saint-Ange, and a respectable young woman, Celie Montereau, at first appear to have no connection. As Ravel begins his investigation; searching for clues and interogating witnesses, he unravels a case far more complicated than ...more
Brenda Mengeling
A good premise: police procedural in Paris in 1796 just a couple of years after the Terror. The writing is also by and large good, but Alleyn did need an editor to trim quite a bit of the fat. However, the "whodunit" aspect of the story is trivial, although it's not supposed to be. There really aren't enough characters (possible suspects) to make this a complex, twisty story. Alleyn tries, but I kept waiting for what I knew had to happen next, time and time again, and I was not surprised. Totall ...more
Peter Kavanagh
A disappointing entry in what had been a very solid series. I had trouble finishing it whereas I had raced through the previous two books. Hopefully the next one will see a return to form.
Bonnie
This is the first in a series of historical mysteries set in France just after the French Revolution, this one in 1796. Aristide Ravel, the main character, is a sort of consultant to the police (sometimes called a police spy). In this story he is helping the police with the investigation of a double murder, that of an unsavory character who lives off blackmail and one of his victims. Things are not as they at first seem and there are surprises. It is based very loosely on a real case. I liked it ...more
Juli
Three and a half stars really.
I didn't enjoy the mystery as much as in the previous book, the Palace of Justice, but I still liked the setting and the atmosphere of this book (except for the cheesy romance!).
Hovewer, the fact that I deduced most of the truth sooner than the investigator, in this case by a mere 100 pages, ruined much of the reading experience for me.
The author has obviously researched the period, and she writes beautifully, but writing crime fiction is not her strenght!
Moira Kloster
Alleyn's Aristide Ravel is an undercover investigator for the police in the scary world of Paris immediately post-Revolution. It's a world turned upside down, but it hasn't turned in his favour. How does an outcast make a living on the edges of a new world order? This is an atmospheric book; yes, a mystery gets solved, but it's at least as important to find out why and how the son of a criminal might socialize with the son of the public executioner.
Carolyn Crocker
Police agent Ravel in 1790's Paris is not so different from a modern investigator, when it comes to murder. Political pressures, the usual suspects, and personal emotional involvement make this historical mystery seem quite modern-- and the guillotine finish little more than a stage-set. Yet it's a promising set-up and there are three mysteries following.
Kelly
Did not finish - barely made 50 pages. I just don't care for this series. I keep trying, but no more. Not the fault of the writer, I'm sure. I have read many good things about her on DorothyL. I'm in the minority here.
Bruce MacBain
The plot is extremely convoluted and abounds with unlikely coincidences, nevertheless the it's a good read. The background of revolutionary Paris is well realized and the character of Aristide Ravel is nicely drawn.
Kate Forsyth
The first book I read on my new Kindle. A historical murder mystery set in Paris after the French Revolution – not as gripping as it could have been but an enjoyable read, and the setting was fascinating.
J. Brook
It was a good story, but it could have been told better. I like the tragic ending, but I think the characters were a little too flat to gain any sympathy.
Alyssa
Bryan and I read this book aloud to each other and really enjoyed it. Her writing style is unique and beautiful. Plus, there are good plot twists.
Torrie
It was a slow start, I wasn't sure that I was going to even finish it. I did finish and I think I might give her sequal to it a read.
  • The Rhetoric of Death
  • Murder on Black Friday (Gilded Age Mystery, #4)
  • A Dark Anatomy (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery, #1)
  • Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3)
  • Interrupted Aria (Tito Amato, #1)
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Persona Non Grata (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #3)
  • Blood Royal
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Faded Coat of Blue (Abel Jones, #1)
  • The Scent of Death
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows
  • Secret of the White Rose (Simon Ziele, #3)
  • A Man in Uniform: A Novel
The granddaughter of children’s author Lillie V. Albrecht (author of Deborah Remembers, The Spinning Wheel Secret, and three other historicals, all now available for Kindle), Susanne Alleyn definitely doesn’t write for children, unless, like her, they have found guillotines, high drama, and the French Revolution fascinating since the age of ten or so.

Susanne grew up in Massachusetts and New York C
More about Susanne Alleyn...

Aristide Ravel - author's suggested reading order (4 books)
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • Palace of Justice (Aristide Ravel, #2)
  • A Treasury of Regrets (Aristide Ravel, #4)
Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders: A Writer's (and Editor's) Guide to Keeping Historical Fiction Free of Common Anachronisms, Errors, and Myths [Second Edition] The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1) A Treasury of Regrets (Aristide Ravel, #4) Palace of Justice (Aristide Ravel, #2) A Far Better Rest