Start by marking “Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)

Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City #5)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  6,027 ratings  ·  139 reviews
Frank Miller's first-ever original graphic novel is one of Sin City's nastiest yarns to date. Starring favourite characters Dwight and Miho, this newly redesigned edition sports a brand-new cover by Miller and some of his first comics art in years.
Paperback, Third Edition, 125 pages
Published November 23rd 2010 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sin City, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin City, Vol. 5

Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Alan Moore
Graphic Novels That Rocked My World
51st out of 368 books — 159 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
261st out of 769 books — 1,281 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Die-hard fans
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
There's nothing really to this novel. A bunch of killing. Only the barest shreds of a plot. It's disappointing.

Great illustrations, as usual.

Also, Dwight is the main character. I hate Dwight. At least he didn't hit any women in this volume. If he did, this would be 1-star instead of 2. But even though he's not practicing his usual women-beating ways, I still hate the way he talks and acts towards women. Zero points. He's still a jerk, in my opinion.

There's a lesbian couple in this novel, and aga
Sam Quixote
“Family Values” is the shortest Sin City book (barring “Booze, Broads, and Bullets” which is a collection of short stories) featuring Dwight (from “A Dame to Kill For”)and Miho (from “The Big Fat Kill”) as they set their sights for revenge against one of Basin City’s mafia families. The story is standard fare if you’re familiar with Sin City; if not, the story is told in black and white with flashes of primary colour (often red) and reads like the hard boiled noir thrillers of the 30s and 40s by ...more
Chrissy
Miho is my favourite character in this series; I love the way she's drawn in lighter lines than any other character, wispy as if she wasn't really there. Contrasted with the heavy black lines and bold strokes of most other characters, she really stands out. You can feel her deadliness in the way Miller draws her. And without any dialogue, he brings her completely to life in this volume. The story was mediocre, as usual, but damn if that isn't some slick art. I'd forgotten since the last volume h ...more
Andrew
The book takes a few pages before it really gets going, but even then the plot is pretty thin and doesn't really go anywhere. The are is inconsistent, some pages are amazing but others look sloppy.

I didn't like the Miho character as she didn't have any depth. I also didn't like the way she was drawn, it's almost as if Miller drew her on a different page, cut the image of her out and pasted it on the final page with the rest of the characters and background. She seems detached from the world.

I
'kris Pung
While still fun this was my less favorite of the Sin City books I've read so far.
David Schaafsma
A simple tale of mob revenge by Dwight with his assassin Miho, who is one of the great characters in this series. Dwight, Marv, others that look and act like them, they all seem to be one character, (though I admit they are one entertaining character in this series!) but Miho is unique and great and undermines for a bit the claims of misogyny that are made against Miller. This is a short volume in the series, but has all you want in noir… though it is not subtle like Chandler, it is Big and Beef ...more
Mahdi
جلد پنجم از مجموعه کمیک "شهر گناه" از فرانک میلر.

به نسبت ماجرای اصلی، مقدمه ای بیش از حد طولانی و غیر ضروری داشت. اتفاق اصلی داستان، فقط پنج صفحه بود، در حالی که داستان صد و بیست صفحه بود. یعنی صد و پانزده صفحه مقدمه چینی که خیلی ارتباطی هم به داستان نداشت.

البته بخش زیادی از این مقدمه چینی، قتل های "میهو"، دختر قاتل ژاپنی بود که خیلی هیجان انگیز و جالب بودند. مخصوصاً بازی کردنش با مرد چاق، مثل گربه ای که با شکارش بازی میکنه، قبل از اینکه بکشدش.
Mark
Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Frank Miller
Recommended to Mark by: Millers brilliant Batman book
It is a well told tale of revenge all in a Noir kind of style in which one man searches for the truth behind a hit on a mobster. He is closely followed by Miho a skating assassin of little words and a rather impressive arsenal of weapons all in the no-gun variety. To call her a Ninja would be apt but she wears a shiny white outfit that gives her a more angelic style.
The tale is told in a sparse way you have to read all the way to the end to know what it is all about.
The Art is true to Frank Mill
John
This book was the shortest in the series so far but had plenty of action.Miho wiped the floor with a bunch of mobsters.All out action and great dialogue and artwork.Onto the next book in the series.
Adam
Ordinary Dahlia
Pesona Asia yang mematikan deadly little Miho banyak beraksi di sini. Dipimpin oleh Dwight (again?),dia mulai menyelusuri tempat tinggal mafia setempat yang telah melakukan vendetta dengan brutal&sadis. Agak kaget di akhir cerita setelah mengetahui ternyata pelacakan itupun berlatar belakang balas dendam (juga)! Ampyuuuun deh, akhirnya terjadi pembantaian yang lebih brutal&sadis dari sang mafia lakukan?! kapan seh sincity bisa damai?
*Muncul Halo dan sayap naga berubah seputih salju*
Dima Yakovenko
Это уже третья история про Дуайта МакКарти, и каким бы крутым он не был, всё равно он начал немного надоедать. Плюс ко всему, тут он уже не так крут, каким был в том же третьем томе, где Миллер развернулся на полную.

На этот раз перед нами сюжет про Дуайта, который расследует убийство по просьбе Гейл. Убийство не типичное, с ним всё очень и очень не просто, но у Маккарти есть друзья, которые всегда помогут. И так клубок будет медленно распутываться, готовя читателя к шикарному финалу.

Это самый ма
Federiken Masters
Lo tengo y lo leí en la edición argentina en dos tomitos, que después chequearé si anda dando vueltas por goodreads o veré si lo subo. Recuerdo que no fue la historia de Sin City que más me gustó pero sí está mejor que lo que vendría después.
Miho y Dwight hacían buena dupla, habrá que ver si la terminan adaptando a película.
Linds
This is my least favorite Sin City book that I've read so far. There wasn't much of a story - it's mostly Miho laying waste to the mafia. In the 80's I'm sure that a ninja on roller blades was insanely cool. But reading it for the first time now it's just kind've silly.
l.
para los alcances que tienen los libros anteriores de sin city, valores familiares es el menos interesante, el más correcto. el dibujo de frank miller es irregular, no hay mucha coherencia con el resto de los tomos y por momentos se nota francamente descuidado, como el de the dark knight returns 2. esto no necesariamente es un defecto, pero como que no me late que un dibujante eche tan evidentemente la pachorra.

el giro final, eso sí, es súper padre. como que cierra esa idea de que sin city es un
Willem van den Oever
That Yellow Bastard’ was – by far – the greatest piece of comic book writing and –penciling Frank Miller has ever done. In terms of style and narrative, it was tight, slick and absolutely unique. Miller was in control of every shape and every word put unto paper. It was one of those comic books damn near everybody should have a copy of.

So opening up the first pages of its follow-up – ‘Family Values’ – it is somewhat disappointing to see that übertight use of silhouettes and shapes gone out the
Azzageddi
I was very underwhelmed by this installment of the Sin City series. Reading over other peoples' reviews here on Goodreads, I'm heartened to see I'm not the only one.

There were couple of things that made this one so much weaker than its four predecessors.

(1) Simplistic storyline. True, the other volumes mostly contained various concatenations of vintage pulp tropes, but through the artwork, characterization, and language, the stories took on emergent properties.

(2) Characters. Very flat. Miho is
Matt
Jul 22, 2013 Matt rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpl
This volume of the Frank Miller Sin City saga took me a long time to finish. Not because it's long or difficult to read, I just had a lot of other stuff on my plate, so I took my time with it.

I found this one to be rather unremarkable. The story was interesting and all, but I didn't find myself as interested in Miho as perhaps others might. Yes, she is an intriguing character, but the concept of a ruthless killer riding around on rollerblades is somewhat... well... lame. It just kept bringing me
Penny Raspenny
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous ones. The story hadn't much to say, and the sketches were not as marvelously made as in the other books. It took me a long time to finish it, because somewhere in the middle I got bored and left it asided to read another book.

I feel I have to point this out, but I was realy dissapointed from this novel. We could find Miho in a leading role here (as leading as it can be, since she never talks), and I like Miho as a character (hope to hear her story
Brody Allan
silly story.. Waites till the last 3 pages to wrap up your big questioning to Dwight involvement and boy was it ever a disappointing lead up. pretty lame. However on a strong note it feature a lot of miho basically being deadly little miho which never disappoints. they way miller drew her lones thinner then everything else makes her seem that much more viscous, except her random nip slips seemed really dumb...
Edward Cheer
In my opinion, the worst of the Sin City books (but, that being said, it's not a terrible read). The plot is a lot simpler than the other stories (which works against this a lot, since Dwight's the protagonist). The action gets really overblown and ridiculous, but in the end it's still a nice brisk read for a free afternoon. Definitely not perfect, but not so bad either.
Bob
This was my least favorite in the series so far. It's just not very fleshed out. It seems like a lot more should have happened leading up to the climax. The scenes where Miho was zooming around on roller skates were a little over the top corny too. Overall, it seems more like a couple scenes in a story rather than a complete story.
Sylvester
Akhil teja
it's revenge time.. the suspense was good.. but what awesome was MIHO..
Dwight was good enough for brains but, MIHO rocked all the way..
we know mafia families are dangerous to deal.. but, if we kill a family without leaving clues, then remaining families will kill themselves.. what an idea..
frank Miller is the boss
Kristy Orr
Like that little Miho. That bitch is deadly! This book was weird. I'm hoping it was an intro to what's to come in future volumes because as a stand alone it was pointless to me. 5 volumes in and we are getting introduced to a mob family...why? Hoping to find out in 6!
Teresa
This one was good. It started like a typical Sin City story really with Dwight and his hooker pals but at the end it hit you with a punch to the heart, I found it surprisingly emotional. By the end i was wondering just what in the hell was going on and why Dwight was doing all of this but then it all became clear in a very unexpected way.

I did get sick of seeing Miho who was drawn horribly killing people and I have yet to get over her being on Rollerblades. Maybe it's because it's been awhile s
Keith
Really wasn't feeling this one. The artwork doesn't have the same impact and the writing lacks a bit of the hard-boiled intensity that lifted the previous books. I can't say I've loved any of them, but this does feel a bit throwaway by the standards of what came before.
Matej
This very short fifth Sin City volume is really underwhelming when compared to the previous volumes.
The writing is not as good as the previous volumes, and the art is specially underwhelming, and noticeably different from previous volumes. Most of the art looks like it is made for coloring, and then not colored.
All in all, the least good Sin City book so far.
Mark
i thought the story on this one was a little weaker than the previous ones - intrigue isn't sin city's strong suit. and it got tiring seeing the incredibly poorly drawn Miho kill guy after guy without breaking a sweat. i don't take issue with her character - it's hard to fault a roller blading ninja in a world inhabited by kung-fu emo kids and militant prostitutes - but she so grossly overpowers the thugs she's up against that it gets boring watching her dispatch them effortlessly. it's like the ...more
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • The Dreamer
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...

Sin City (7 books)
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, #4)
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • Sin City, Vol. 7: Hell and Back (Sin City, #7)
Batman: Year One Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1) 300 Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1