Start by marking “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  174,008 Ratings  ·  3,690 Reviews
A copy of Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them resides in almost every wizarding household in the country. Now Muggles too have the chance to discover where the Quintaped lives, what the Puffskein eats and why it is best not to leave milk out for a Knarl.

Proceeds from the sale of this book will go to Comic Relief, which means that the pounds and Galleons you exchange
Published June 1st 2001 by Arthur A. Levine (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, please sign up.

Suzanne Wait until after the 3rd or 4th book as some of the notes pertain to events in them but even if you haven't gotten that far there is nothing terribly…moreWait until after the 3rd or 4th book as some of the notes pertain to events in them but even if you haven't gotten that far there is nothing terribly spoilery. Harry and Ron's notes just won't be as humorous if you haven't read that far.(less)
Gemma It's interesting if you LOVE Harry Potter, otherwise I think it would be a bit boring. The most interesting part for me were the little notes Harry…moreIt's interesting if you LOVE Harry Potter, otherwise I think it would be a bit boring. The most interesting part for me were the little notes Harry and Ron had made for their lessons at Hogwarts. :) (less)
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsMe Before You by Jojo MoyesFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. RowlingAllegiant by Veronica RothThe 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Books Becoming Movies in 2016
3rd out of 118 books — 743 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Best Books About Harry Potter
10th out of 89 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Mohammed Arabey
May 01, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing
"ملحوظه قبل البدء: هذا الريفيو قد تراه مجرد هراء..ولكنه الخيال، تلك النعمة للهروب من ضغط الواقع ولو للحظات"
الكتاب الذي بين يديك نسخة مطبوعة من كتاب دراسي يستخدم في عالم لا نعرف عنه شئ

إ
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Mar 02, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Angelina #Waterflame

As a proper witch (muggle born), I was required to have a copy of this book as Professor Dumbledore declared in the foreword that “no wizarding household is complete without a copy of this book.” So I wasted no time and got myself a copy at Flourish and Botts!

My very own duplicate of Harry Potter’s copy and I enjoyed it a lot especially Professor Dumbledore’s foreword! You only have to read a part of his foreword to be convinced to read the book. But what I enjoyed even more were Ron’s, Harry’
Tessa
Sep 08, 2014 Tessa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: werewolves, faeries, magic
“Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’, the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.”
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BACK TO WITCHES AND WIZARDS AND MAGICAL BEASTS
TO GOBLINS AND GHOSTS AND MAGICAL FEASTS
IT’S ALL THAT
Anne
Feb 08, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing
Did you watch the trailer of the movie adaptation of this book and think, like me, that the book is about a bunch of magical creatures escaping into the world and wreaking havoc, threatening the balance between magical and non-magical relations? Did you imagine action and chaos?

"The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York's secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school."

I swear, that's what I thought I was going to be reading about. I
Alejandro
Aug 29, 2014 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
Merlin's beard!!!

Gotta catch 'em all...Poke-Magic!!!

This reference book about the magical beasts in the world of Harry Potter is truly fantastic!

While I have no doubt that the decision of doing movie adaptations about this reference book is basically to keep "milking" the magic cows of the Harry Potter's saga, now that I finally read the reference book, I have to admit that there is a lot of material here to be used on movies and even showing several creatures that you never read about on th
Liza
Apr 07, 2016 Liza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I find it amazing how J.K. Rowling came up with all of these amazing creatures, not only what they look like, but what they do, their classifications, and the amazing introduction about what classifies a beast; as well as doing research to back up her qualities of these creatures. This was phenomenal, and as I said before about Quidditch Through The Ages, this book deserves all the stars simply because of all the wondrous effort and love that was put into it. Please read these little extra Harry ...more
Shruti
Sep 12, 2013 Shruti marked it as to-read
GUYS IT'S TRUE THERE IS A NEW POTTERVERSE MOVIE ON FANTASTIC BEASTS AND JKR IS SCREENWRITING

OH MY ROWLING

Hannah
Jan 19, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I really wish she would publish a spell book
Aria
Dec 29, 2014 Aria rated it it was amazing
Reading this is like being a Hogwarts student yourself. I know I'm too old to get a letter from an owl, but whatevs... I'm still waiting for my Hogwarts letter.
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 13, 2013 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can we say it is A Good Fiction?

For me one of the elements that make me fall in love easily into a fiction book is how realistic it can be.
ofcourse not the"non-fiction" realistic, but real enough that makes the world very fantasy and at the same time acceptable to imagine it easily.
description
I don't know how to explain but just look at that world J.K.Rowling "AKA:The Queen of United Magic Kingdom" creates..Wizard and Witches lives deep in London, across the UK and even all over the world.
They got th
Vane J.
Mar 03, 2016 Vane J. rated it liked it
What happens when you see: 3 stars review + J.K. Rowling + Harry Potter world?

But see, the thing is, no matter how funny the handwritten notes in the book were, no matter how much I giggled at them and the introduction and every time they mentioned the word "Muggle", the content of the book itself was... boring.

Hey! Don't make those faces at me! I'll explain: The thing is, I'm not entertained by reading tye descriptions of the 75 so far known species of fantastic beasts. Sure, they're interestin
Liz* Fashionably Late
For just a few hours, you can pretend to be a Hogwarts student and trust me, it's the best feeling in the world!

PS: Dungbombs rule.
Shannon (leaninglights)
While this book didn't amaze me, it was fun to get a glimpse of Newt before the movies come out! The intro and "about the author" are the best parts. also Harry's notes are fun. It's not necessary to read but it's a great addition for any HP fan :)
Nina
Jun 22, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-and-ireland
Some people love their jobs and JKR is definitely of of them. Reading her books, you can just sense how she loves writing, creating characters, inventing names and laying out clues which fool the readers.

Well, there weren't any clues in this one, as it is not actually a story, but it is so well done, so ... what's the word for it ... so real, in a way. She had given a thought to every detail, even down to the price of the book (4,99 pounds, or 1 Galleon, 11 sickles).

Like in Tales of Beedle the
Tamara

Harry and Ron <3 <3

And loved all the Hagrid jokes!!

ROFLMFAO xD
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Dec 30, 2013 (9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Helen Stavraki
Mar 22, 2016 Helen Stavraki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comicrelief.com
Liz Janet
Mar 13, 2016 Liz Janet rated it liked it
“I would like to take this opportunity to reassure Muggle purchasers that the amusing creatures described hereafter are fictional and cannot hurt you.To wizards, I say merely: Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.”
Yes, I am reading it because the film is coming out, but I also read it a long time ago, so a reread was necessary. Plus, I love reading extra material, so not completely because of the film.
When I read it, I went in expecting this to be a textbook, I am glad it was just that, well t
Pamela
descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
Laz
Apr 02, 2016 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did I expect more than this? Hell to the no, I'm truthfully ecstatic that this turned out to be that good, it's truly a piece of the wizarding world, bringing every single part of the world to life again. Rowling's writing is what makes all this so magical, that's the conclusion I've reached to.

So, I'm pumped for the movie and thought why not pump myself a bit more? And since I had the Hogwarts Library sitting on my bookcase I thought, "let's do this" and here I am, going out of my mind with ex
Inés Izal
Jan 10, 2016 Inés Izal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
¿Soy la única que está deseando ver la película? Tengo curiosidad por ver que guión pueden lograr sacar de una enciclopedia sobre seres fantásticos.
Elena
Nov 09, 2015 Elena rated it it was amazing
VERY interesting. And the side notes were hilarious!
VictoriaNickers
Mar 21, 2016 VictoriaNickers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mustread, 2016, series, magic
This is written as Harry Potter's own textbook for Hogwarts. Obviously, it's J.K. Rowling writing as a character from Harry's world. It serves more as a reference to readers of the Magical Creatures in the series.
description
The movie that is coming out by the same name in November of this year (2016) is based on some of the creatures referenced in this book. I do believe the main character in the movie is actually the "author" of this book, Newt Scamander... And, I cannot begin to describe how excited I a
Stepheny

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is on the lips of every Harry Potter fan in the world lately. With the announcement of the movie production I am sure that sales skyrocketed for this book.

This was one of the books I had in my 3 book collection and I read this one after my competition of Tales of Beedle the Bard. I was so excited to read this…until I started reading it. Talk about a snoozefest. Holy moly.

I had to keep reminding myself- “Stepheny, this is a textbook. Remember? Harry had thi
Beatrice
Mar 23, 2016 Beatrice rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Nostalgia.

That's how I felt when I read this. It's a short book filled with information about the magical creatures. Definitely a Potterhead's guide about these fascinating creatures. How I wish I can have a Hippogriff as a pet. That will be fun.

Gah! I miss reading Harry Potter and I can't wait for the movie ;) Newt Scamander is interesting.
Ashley
Jan 26, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, owned
Fwoopers are the best.
Ahmad
Mar 13, 2016 Ahmad rated it it was amazing
This book is so wonderful it's short, has a lot of beautiful facts about the beasts and it belongs to HARRY FREAKING POTTER!!!!!
I really enjoyed this book.
Love you J.K. Rowling
Lau

Este es el tipo de libro que me encanta. Lo ideal es leerlo si ya conocen la saga de Harry Potter (todavía puede quedar alguien que no sepa de qué se trata) porque así lo van a disfrutar más y entender mejor. Si la memoria no me falla (hay una primera vez para todo) con que hayan leído hasta La Cámara Secreta ya van a entender.
Para quienes no tienen idea o no recuerdan, Animales fantásticos y dónde encontrarlos, escrito por Newt «Newi» Scamander, es uno de los libros de texto que se dan en el co
Ann
Originally read: December, 25 2004 through December 26, 2004

Re-read: January 13, 2008 through February 6, 2008

What a wonderfully, delightful book! So clever and interesting, cute, fun, (highly humerous what with all of Harry's and Ron's notes!) and informative.:) Also interesting reading it after knowing all that occurs in the serious. It was fun to revisit some of my old theories (many of which never amounted to anything, but still...);>
So much fun to read and I adore all the creatures, "be
Laura Siverio

“Phoenix song is magical: it is reputed to increase the courage of the pure of heart and to strike fear into the heart of the impure.”

No lo consideraría una lectura 100% obligatoria para los fans de Harry Potter como he visto muchas veces, pero la verdad es que me ha gustado y los comentarios de Harry y Ron me han sacado alguna que otra sonrisa, así que lo recomiendo.
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
  • The Lexicon: An Unauthorized Guide to Harry Potter Fiction and Related Materials
  • Harry Potter: Film Wizardry
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Which Witch?
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
  • Wizardology
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)