Start by marking “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  126,254 ratings  ·  1,846 reviews

Proceeds from the sale of this book will go to improving and saving the lives of childre...more
Published June 2001 by Arthur A. Levine (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Best Books About Harry Potter
12th out of 88 books — 190 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussFire by Kristin CashoreInkheart by Cornelia Funke
Seeing Red
9th out of 1,041 books — 293 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
Merlin's beard!!!

Gotta catch 'em all...Poke-Magic!!!

This reference book about the magical beasts in the world of Harry Potter is truly fantastic!

While I have no doubt that the decision of doing movie adaptations about this reference book is basically to keep "milking" the magic cows of the Harry Potter's saga, now that I finally read the reference book, I have to admit that there is a lot of material here to be used on movies and even showing several creatures that you never read about on the...more
Tessa
“Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’, the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.”
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BACK TO WITCHES AND WIZARDS AND MAGICAL BEASTS
TO GOBLINS AND GHOSTS AND MAGICAL FEASTS
IT’S ALL THAT...more
Mohammed Arabey
"ملحوظه قبل الريفيو : هذا الريفيو قد تراه مجرد هراء..ولكن اذا استحملت معي لنهايته ستعرف مقصدي"
الكتاب الذي بين يديك نسخه مطبوعه من نسخه تستخدم في عالم لا نعرف عنه شئ
عالم "مختفي" او متخفي بين طيات عالمنا نطلق عليه مجرد "خيال" او "فانتازي
ربما قرأت عن هذا العالم في روايات تدعي انها قصه حياه الولد الذي عاش "هاري بوتر
حسنا, تلك النسخه انما هي مطبوعه من احد كتب مدرسته...مطبوعه من نسخته الخاصه
لذلك لا تتعجب كثيرا اذ ماوجدت "شخبطه" في الكتاب تخص هذا الـ"هاري" واصدقاءه
description
*************************************
Nina
Some people love their jobs and JKR is definitely of of them. Reading her books, you can just sense how she loves writing, creating characters, inventing names and laying out clues which fool the readers.

Well, there weren't any clues in this one, as it is not actually a story, but it is so well done, so ... what's the word for it ... so real, in a way. She had given a thought to every detail, even down to the price of the book (4,99 pounds, or 1 Galleon, 11 sickles).

Like in Tales of Beedle the...more
Hannah
I really wish she would publish a spell book
Mohammed Arabey
How can we say it is A Good Fiction?

For me one of the elements that make me fall in love easily into a fiction book is how realistic it can be.
ofcourse not the"non-fiction" realistic, but real enough that makes the world very fantasy and at the same time acceptable to imagine it easily.
description
I don't know how to explain but just look at that world J.K.Rowling "AKA:The Queen of United Magic Kingdom" creates..Wizard and Witches lives deep in London, across the UK and even all over the world.
They got the...more
Shruti
Sep 12, 2013 Shruti marked it as to-read
GUYS IT'S TRUE THERE IS A NEW POTTERVERSE MOVIE ON FANTASTIC BEASTS AND JKR IS SCREENWRITING

OH MY ROWLING

Ann
Originally read: December, 25 2004 through December 26, 2004

Re-read: January 13, 2008 through February 6, 2008

What a wonderfully, delightful book! So clever and interesting, cute, fun, (highly humerous what with all of Harry's and Ron's notes!) and informative.:) Also interesting reading it after knowing all that occurs in the serious. It was fun to revisit some of my old theories (many of which never amounted to anything, but still...);>
So much fun to read and I adore all the creatures, "be...more
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Keri Payton
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher. I did not write this review while under the influence of the Imperius Curse, or the threat of either the Cruciatus Curse or Killing Curse.

There are an abundance of magical creatures in existence. I'm sure you know of a few: dragons, unicorns, fairies, griffins...

What you may not be awa
Crazy Uncle Ryan
This is another fun supplementary book to the Harry Potter series. The thing I enjoyed most about it is the fact that it contained Harry Potter’s notes doodled in the margins. Like “Quidditch Through the Ages” this book demonstrates how much Rowling has really done to create the Harry Potter universe by giving some fun insights into the creatures that exist in the Magical world. Considering the fact that all the proceeds from this book go to a charity that helps poor children throughout the worl...more
Angie
Sep 14, 2013 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harry Potter scholars
Shelves: fantasy
9/14/13 review
After hearing that this book will be the basis for a new film series, I couldn't help but crack it open again, even though it'll be at least 3–4 years before we see a movie. There is a lot of potential for some great movies in here, and I'm so excited J.K. Rowling is letting it happen.

10/19/10 review (3 stars)
I wonder just how many of these creatures are based on real legends and how many J.K. Rowling made up. I think a lot of them are based on legends and myths throughout the worl...more
Andy
For someone who loves Harry Potter, but has reread the books almost to death this was a very special and enjoyable treat.

photo tumblr_m1v5d2lzct1qczq24o2_250_zps02132d40.gif

I almost wish that there were more illustrations in it though while reading it I kept remembering
The Discovery of Dragons by Graeme Base
and wishing that this illustrator had been hired for this book. It would have been epic. I mean with illustrations of dragons like this....
 photo b_GraemeBase_CrestedDipper_zpsb066204c.jpg
 photo b_GraemeBase_StGeorgeDragon_zpsecded1ad.jpg
 photo b_GraemeBase_LivingstonesDemon_zps4dcb6ce7.jpg
 photo Graeme-Base-fine-art-28187939-640-638_zpsef40de0c.jpg
can you even imagine? Pure Awesomesauce.
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All HP fans
This thin little volume is an excellent supplement to the popular Harry Potter series. All of the magical species mentioned in the series are covered in this book, along with many more. Each animal is described physically, with notes on its temperament and magical ability. Also included are "Beings" such as Merpeople.

The book is arranged alphabetically. Each creature is also classified by the level of danger that it brings: Expert Wizard Needed, Competent Wizard Should Cope, etc. Harry's notes,...more
Megs Mayo
Aug 15, 2007 Megs Mayo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
I just can't get enough of the Harry Potter universe, and was thrilled when the set of Qudditch Through The Ages and Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them. The Fantastic Beasts book is full of fun knowledge of the beasts found inside the books, and gives a little background and origin. Four stars only though because there are only a small amount of pictures (and as someone who is used to the D&D Monster Manuel, I love pictures to go with my monster descriptions. Also, there are notes from th...more
Andre
This book was a quick, entertaining and funny read. It was written how you would think a quick guide for younger school kids would be written and it is also written in an in-universe way (e.g. having references to other books) not like something just there to make money.
I would have preferred more details of course, but that is simply because I gravitate more towards zoology.
If you look for a quick and relaxing book, this is it.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I'm a huge JK Rowling fan but this one was just kinda ehh for me. I think for what it was it was cute as an add on for the series.
Salymar
[image error]
[Click see review to view the image]

oooh! I found Harry Potter's copy of the book "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!" on the intanet (actually, internet. Just trying to sound like I have the awesome British accent - I am never going to be good at that)

This book is home of almost 60+ beasts found in the famous Harry Potter series (with Potter's funny descriptions and comments of each beasts --that is almost on every page). haha!

Harry Potter and his friends needed this book in...more
Kathryn
Feb 07, 2008 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves HP or magical creatures
I read this first in 2004 so reading it again now that I've finished the series brought even more fun and interest to the material. It was amsuing to remember so many of my theories for which fantastical beasts would make an appearance in the final few books--I was so wrong!--and I just find the whole concept of this book absolutely darling, and so clever. I especially enjoy those magical creatures that occassionally wander into Muggle worlds, and the muggle-confusion and wizard-magic-ing that f...more
Lisa Vegan
I adore all the Harry Potter books but was somewhat disappointed in this book. I actually could have done without it. But it gave me a bit of a Harry Potter fix. Now that the series is over, I'm hoping that if Rowling publishes a HP Encyclopedia, it will be better than this. Otherwise, I'd really just rather reread the series of 7 Harry Potter books.
Becky
This was a cute little book detailing the magical creatures that exist in the world. Unfortunately, as a Muggle, I'm unlikely to see any of them anytime soon.

I particularly liked Harry and Ron's little notes in the book. It was a cute addition.

CHUDLEY CANNONS!
Wart Hill
Always a fun read. Not sure which I enjoy more, the actual text or Ron and Harry's interjections :)
Elii Vela
No tengo mucho que decir sobre este libro. En realidad es muy pequeñito, pero creo para los fans de Harry Potter este es un ejemplar que no puede faltar en sus estanterías. Yo no sé mucho del mundo de Harry Potter, salvo lo que he visto en las películas, y si hay algo que sé es que siempre me confundo con los seres que aparecen cada dos por tres, y que suelo perderme las bromas entre mis amigos que sí son fans de hueso colorado. Por eso me gustó muchísimo leer esta guía.

Está ordenado alfabéticam...more
PurplyCookie
"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (14 Sickles 3 Knuts) by "Newt Scamander" is an A to Z listing of all beasts and beings magical (and apparently a required reading for all first-year Hogwarts students). This one turns out to be a facsimile of Harry Potter's very own textbook, written in a wonderfully dry yet droll style by a renowned magizoologist.

The wonderful thing in having a copy of Harry's textbook is that of his (and Ron's doodles) found in almost every page. According to Professo...more
Prashant
I joined GR too late to write a review of any of the books in Harry Potter Series and this is the primary reason that I am writing a review of this short but good book.

I read the complete Harry Potter Series as and when the books came out. When I started reading the series in my teenage I had no reasons to own the books and thus I still don't have any of the Potter books. Buying and caring for the books that I read and love came late in my habit and the stacks of books in my collection still lea...more
Charlotte
Harry Potter: one of the biggest series in the world. J. K. Rowling has created a world full of magic and mystery and depth, and this companion shows that.

Originally released for Comic Relief, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' and 'Quidditch Through the Ages' were sold as a bundle, a duo of school books straight from Hogwarts. The result of these companions presents just how much depth Rowling has went into with her series, her world and her characters.

'Fantastic Beasts' is a micro-ency...more
luhvBOOKS
Jan 26, 2013 luhvBOOKS rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every single Harry Potter fan
Title: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Author: J.K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter Companion Books #1

Rating: ★★★★★

Summary: A copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them resides on almost every wizarding household in the country. Now, for a limited period only, Muggles too have the chance to discover where the Quintaped lives, what the Puffskein eats, and why it is best not to leave milk out for a Knarl. Proceeds from the sale of this book will go to improving and saving the lives of chi...more
DramaQueen
A small book full with extra fun facts about the beasts that live in the wizarding world. It describes the beasts that make an appearance in the Harry Potter-books (Phoenix, Sfinx, Dragons, Thestral, Hippogrif, Centaur, Merpeople, and so on...) but also mentions a lot of "new" beasts. I also liked the introduction with The Brief History of Muggle Awareness of Fantastic Beasts; that felt more like a background story. Even though I liked it and the book is extremely small, it took me almost a week...more
Nikki
This is awesome! And I really like Ron's, Harry's and Hermione's notes on the sides, they make the book believable in a way ^_^
And I'm really grateful for the book because now I know how to recognize different types of dragons :D
When Books Become...: Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them 1 5 Sep 14, 2014 09:26AM
From the Book to ...: Book 1 4 Aug 13, 2014 07:07AM
movie release date 6 58 Jul 04, 2014 11:56PM
The Nerd Herd: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 1 11 Feb 22, 2014 12:02PM
The Nerd Herd: Fantastic beasts and Where to Find Them Movie 26 27 Jan 01, 2014 07:14PM
SOS: Serious Over...: More Movies from Rowling 5 27 Sep 26, 2013 01:01PM
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • Harry Potter: Film Wizardry
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter