Start by marking “The Clustered World: How We Live, What We Buy, and What It All Means about Who We Are” as Want to Read:

Michael Weiss expands on the geodemographics of The Clustering of America with this fascinating look at the sixty-two new lifestyle "clusters" that define who we are by what we buy. Clustering has become a widely accepted business concept throughout the world, revealing a global village of people who have more in common with foreigners of the same cluster than they do with ...more
Published January 13th 2000 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Clustered World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clustered World

Pashmina
Apr 18, 2011 Pashmina rated it liked it
This book breaks down the types of people into clusters carefully but accurately. It is a method marketing companies use to target their products and ads to the types of people mostly likely to buy into them. This parallels very closely to the idea of developing audience archetypes, or personas. Personas would be different in that they are not bound by a specific region, and they all for ‘twinsumer’ patterns to emerge in the new landscape of online consumption.
ari
Mar 22, 2007 ari rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy vast amounts of empirical data
Although I have yet to find a lot of practical insight, this book is frighteningly accurate in its assessments of purchasing patterns and how they correspond to our self-perceptions. Delivered more as a marketing tool than a sociology tome, the executive-friendly tone (replete with abundant, powerful graphics) is actually kind of refreshing. Maybe I'll figure out how to use this book some day, but for now it's great to talk about at parties;)
Ryan McKay
Dec 28, 2014 Ryan McKay rated it it was ok
Rather dated as the geo-demographic clusters discussed are now nearly 20 years old - so the consumption habits, lifestyles, and technologies have moved on. Some interesting discussion of how these segments are/were being used (in politics, social services, etc. - not just in advertising) - but the bulk of the book re-prints what you can readily find in up-to-date and interactive form online (at least for the U.S.): http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegment...

James Igoe
Sep 23, 2012 James Igoe rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed demographics and considered it the marriage of my computer and sociological interest way back in he 1980's. I enjoyed the book but I found myself wanting an option for classifying myself, I settled on 'Urban Gold Coast' or 'Money and Brains'. Also, the book was somewhat redundant about overseas markets, although the book was enjoyable overall.
mlady_rebecca
Interesting concept, but the book was a little dense for my very casual interest. Didn't read, just flipped through and looked at the diagrams.
Tamra
Tamra rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2008
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2008
Melody
Melody rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2007
benjamin
benjamin rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2007
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Dr Tnge
Dr Tnge rated it liked it
May 13, 2017
Jesse C
Jesse C rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Cat Bramhall
Cat Bramhall rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
George Siehl
George Siehl rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Brent Irvine
Brent Irvine rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Berch Carpenter
Berch Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Eddie
Eddie rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Gary Mesick
Gary Mesick rated it really liked it
May 19, 2010
Ann Conway
Ann Conway rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Harris
Harris rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
Julie Draves
Julie Draves rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Doug Liles
Doug Liles rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Allisa
Allisa rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2007
Jacob Bourne
Jacob Bourne rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Irene Moyer
Irene Moyer rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Elizabeth Rhodes
Elizabeth Rhodes rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2009
Don McNay
Don McNay rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015