Start by marking “The Crunching Munching Caterpillar” as Want to Read:
The Crunching Munching Caterpillar

The Crunching Munching Caterpillar

Hungry Caterpillar crunches and munches his way through the blackberry bush; all the while his friends Bumblebee, Sparrow and Butterfly are flying high in the sky soaring and swooping. Caterpillar wishes for nothing more than to fly! Butterfly has a secret and encourages Caterpillar to take a nap. After his long, deep sleep through the winter and his dreams of soaring in t ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Tiger Tales (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Crunching Munching Caterpillar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crunching Munching Caterpillar

Stephen Barry
Jan 17, 2012 Stephen Barry rated it liked it
The Crunching Munching Caterpillar is a story about a caterpillar who wishes it could fly. He is very envious of the other creatures that have wings and fly, such as the bee and the birds. The other creatures dismiss the caterpillar's idea of being able to fly which leaves him very glum. However the butterfly is more encouraging saying that perhaps one day he could fly. The caterpillar slept all through the winter, dreaming off being able to fly and when he awoke he had wings.

I would say that t
Samera Jamil
Oct 06, 2013 Samera Jamil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect inspirational book! I enjoyed reading this due to the content and exciting images. The caterpillar has a great interest in flying. He watches other creatures fly across while he is down below unable to copy them. He wishes he could fly but notices he does not have wingsso he continues to eat leaves then one day he wakes up realising he can fly! He is now a butterfly!

This book is great way to explain the life cycle of caterpillars and can follow up to a trip to the wild life garden, ide
Shannon
Feb 22, 2017 Shannon rated it it was ok
The story and illustrations are cute, but it bothered me a little bit that they didn't show the caterpillar making his cocoon; he just curls up in a leaf like it's a blanket. Also, they definitely aren't in the cocoon all winter; it only takes a few weeks. I know some may say it's "just a picture book," but this kind of information would be really easy to find and work into the story to make it scientifically accurate, and anytime we can avoid misleading kids, we should take it.
Pipa Guest
Jan 14, 2017 Pipa Guest rated it really liked it
Loved reading this book to my son. Great way of explaining the way caterpillars turn into butterflies.
Oct 05, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I thought this book was cute. It had a cute story to it, and I liked the bright illustrations. Also I liked how it rhymed. I would recommend this book to kindegarteners or 1st graders.

A Kid's Review
Format:PaperbackWhat book tells you the life of a caterpillar? The Crunching Munching Caterpillar does. Sheridan Cain, the author, did a very great job writing this book. And Jack Tickle, the illustrator, did an awesome job making those pictures. It looks like Jack painted those beautiful pictures. I
Megan
Sep 05, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
"The Crunching Munching Caterpillar" is about a Caterpillar who is always hungry,eating, and wishing that he can fly. As he is eating one day he encounters a bee and then a bird who can both fly while the caterpillar cannot. He expresses his desire to fly but the bee and bird shut him down and tell him he will never be able to. Just as he is about to go to sleep, he encounters a butterfly who he divulges his wish to. The butterfly gives him some words of encouragement and implies that one day he ...more
Ali
Oct 25, 2014 Ali rated it liked it
This is a very simple story of a caterpillar crunching his way through a tree, and feeling jealous of all the animals and birds he sees flying around him - he wants to fly too!

Although the story is simple, the illustrations are bright and interesting. I read this book outloud to a Year 1 class on the carpet, and they remained quiet throughout. At the end I asked them, if they could go to sleep wrapped in a leaf, and wake up as a different animal, what would they pick? The story had obviously ins
Leah Puckett
Oct 16, 2012 Leah Puckett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, insects
The Crunchy munching caterpillar has a couple of different lessons that could be gathered from the story. Children could learn that even when others say you can’t, believe in yourself and hold tight to your dreams and one day they might just come true. The lesson of flying animals and the life cycle of a caterpillar turned butterfly could be taught using this book as a literacy piece.

Learning Experience:
I would find or buy a caterpillar and read the book several times within the 2-3 week process
Becky B
Sep 17, 2013 Becky B rated it it was ok
Caterpillar munches and crunches while admiring the wings of birds and bugs that go by, but all he has are legs for walking. But then he takes a long nap and wakes up with beautiful butterfly wings.

Ok, I know that the metamorphosis process is enthralling, but really I think the picture book world is a little too saturated with this topic. I might find this book cute if I hadn't read pretty much the same exact plot line several times before. Kids probably won't care if it is the same story with d
Dec 19, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
This story is part of a double sided book I bought for my three month old son; the first being The Crunching Munching Caterpillar.

The book is large enough to be held by both parent and child; and colourful enough to keep young children and toddlers interested. It's a relatively long story for the age group intended (the cover states suitable for 2 years plus) which makes it ideal for bedtime story time.

The caterpillar interacts with all sorts of wonderful creatures, and the illustrations are p
Maggie Wells
Feb 24, 2016 Maggie Wells rated it really liked it
"The Crunching Munching Caterpillar" was a great book, as it teachers children about the life of caterpillars and how they eventually turn into butterflies. The illustrations also had bright colors which I liked, and of course, the caterpillar was cute, which is always a nice addition. Besides the lack of introducing and adding more possible characters, I thought the book had a good concept behind it, and can keep children entertained.
Grade: K-1 (Pre-k also)
Topic: life cycle of a caterpillar/butterfly, living organisms

Very simplified story about a caterpillar's journey to becoming a butterfly. This would be great to read in Pre-k and Kindergarten. It would be a great introduction to learning about the life cycle of a caterpillar/butterfly. Students can see what happens in the pictures and later be introduced to the new vocabulary that is left out of the story.
Stephen T Shores
Jul 09, 2014 Stephen T Shores rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Both of our kits absolutely loved this book and requested we read it frequently. The onomatopoeia and the voices I would do for the different characters would make them giggle, along with the silly drawings of a caterpillar with wings and a caterpillar floating on the breeze. I can recommend it to any parent looking for a fun book for their child.
Kim Miller
I likle the cute way that this shows how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, but its not the greatest. Its something you could posibly read to the kids, but i think this is just another book for the library.
Library Quine
Caterpillar envies his friends who have the ability to fly. He's sad that he only has legs and has to walk. He sleeps for the winter in his little cocoon and dreams of flying. He wakes when the spring sun warms his little home, and guess what?
Liz B
Apr 18, 2011 Liz B rated it liked it
Shelves: butterflies, spring
The Crunchy Munchy Caterpillar is busy munching and eating while all being unware of the change that is about to occur to himself. He admires the insects above who can fly and is in for a wonderful surprise at the end of the story.
Stefani
Jun 05, 2008 Stefani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older preschool, young school-age
Recommended to Stefani by: Sarah Wegener
Shelves: read-picture
Another story about how being yourself is best, as a caterpillar dreams of flying like his friends bee, bird, and butterfly. Fun to read aloud.
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Conor Lake
Conor Lake rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Adams' Country Retreat
Adams' Country Retreat rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Danie Cutter
Nov 08, 2011 Danie Cutter rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Little miss loves all thing butterfly so gives this 4 stars.
Lisa-jane
Lisa-jane rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
MRS DJ SIMPSON
MRS DJ SIMPSON rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2014
Dec 28, 2015
Dolly
Jun 28, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2004
Our daughters love the caterpillar becoming a butterfly stories
Ashley Wyatt
Ashley Wyatt rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • I Love Bugs!
  • Bugs! Bugs! Bugs!
  • Bossy Gallito / El gallo de bodas
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)
  • Coyote: A Trickster Tale from the American Southwest
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Bright Baby Colors
  • Say What?
  • I Love My Mommy
  • Mr. Funny (Mr. Men, #18)
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?