Start by marking “Leonardo's Laptop: Human Needs and the New Computing Technologies” as Want to Read:
Leonardo's Laptop: Human Needs and the New Computing Technologies

Leonardo's Laptop: Human Needs and the New Computing Technologies

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Ben Shneiderman's book dramatically raises computer users' expectations of what they should get from technology. He opens their eyes to new possibilities and invites them to think freshly about future technology. He challenges developers to build products that better support human needs and that are usable at any bandwidth. Shneiderman proposes Leonardo da Vinci as an insp ...more
Published August 11th 2003 by Mit Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Leonardo's Laptop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leonardo's Laptop

Zenko
At first I was just a bit bored because the book was centered in criticize the "old computing" and saying that the "new computing" was marvelous but the book became a bit interesting when the author talked about some examples about medicine and creativity.

It gets worse at the end of the book when the author criticize even more the "old computing" by saying:

Devotees of artificial intelligence ... would be fine if they did this on their own time, but if public funds were being spent, then I'd rath
Keith
May 04, 2014 Keith rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students of computing technology history
Shelves: social-imps
For current readers interested in the changes in expectations of near future computing technology this perspective from the last decade is a suitable data point. While I appreciate the focus on people versus computing for computing's sake, I found the use of Leonardo a poor motivator for many of the topics. The Skeptic's Corner featured in each chapter was less of a serious, respectful counter point to acknowledge an opposing view and more of an "I'm right, you're wrong" recap. Given the strong ...more
Ali.cheaib
A beautifully written book about design. The author builds the case for more creative computer interface designs by challenging the reader into adopting Leonardo Da Vinci's eye for simple, yet perfectly-crafted, components that not only do the job but also help people from all walks of life become more productive. This book is a must for those involved in computer interface design and human-computer interaction.
Kip
Mike Violano
Although a bit dated, the ideas on improving software and application usability are still generally true. The author's views and recommendations on education especially student's research projects and online resources remain relevant for information providers and universities alike.
Bridget
What would DaVinci do with technology if he were alive today? He would say, "It's not what the technology can do, it's what people can now do because of technology." This is what I will incorporate in my philosophy of teaching.
Katie
Skip the hokey parts where he gives you the WWLD (What Would Leonardo Do) and just try to see Shneidermans dreams and goals for a better information and computer science.
Devon
I read this as research for my dissertation but it's quite accessible for a book about usability and design.
Ricardo Scorsin kruger
Could not finish it. The reading does not develop. I found it too boring...
Tedd Landgraf
Tedd Landgraf marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Natalya
Natalya marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Vartan Balassanian
Vartan Balassanian marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Asdeghik
Asdeghik marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Raffi
Raffi marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Jul 08, 2014
Tyler Hollywood
Tyler Hollywood is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Tom Usher
Tom Usher marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction Software Psychology: Human Factors in Computer and Information Systems Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction Sparks of Innovation in Human-Computer Interaction User-friendly computer interfaces