Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  1,946 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Writing for an adult audience, the popular children's book author presents a humorous satire of alphabet books...Title: .Uncle Shelby's Abz Book..Author: .Silverstein, Shel..Publisher: .Simon & Schuster..Publication Date: .1985/09/01..Number of Pages: ...Binding Type: .PAPERBACK..Library of Congress: .85014242
Published September 9th 1985 by Touchstone (first published 1961)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Humorous Books
439th out of 2,252 books — 4,361 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
190th out of 1,088 books — 1,509 voters

More lists with this book...

Beverly
Jan 30, 2008 Beverly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: the elderly and children
This is an amazing book, Uncle Shelby's Abz Book: A Primer for Tender Young Minds (1961) and an amazing event in publishing. I bought this book for my sons at a local bookstore around 1979. It was squeezed in with all the other picture books on the shelf in the children's section. I thought it looked interested because it had a matte brown cover, the color of cardboard, with simple line-drawings that attracted my interest. Something different, I thought. But I didn't realize exactly 'how' differ...more
Jenny Schmenny
The first book I ever bought with my own money, back when I was about seven years old. Sick, subversive, whimsical, horribly inappropriate, and illustrated with delightfully loose line drawings, as are all of Silverstein's books. My copies has little drawings I made on some of the entries that I took half-seriously, or didn't understand at all.
Paul
We all know what it's about, and we all know it's brilliant, witty, sublime, subversive, and oh-so-many other superlatives (yes, I'm using "subversive" as a superlative) so I won't really go into all that...but I will say that I surprised at how many of the other reviews say things like "definitely not for children" or "they were right to give this an 'adults only' sticker" or "not for kids" or "honestly, you would ever give this to a child."

Balderdash! Hooey. Spit-on-able comments. This is prec...more
Keith
Shel Silverstein's books are not always meant for children, though I am strongly tempted to give this one to kids. This is the alphabet book uptight parents fear, full of sarcastic, vicious and just plain bad advice for kids. L is for lollipop sure enough, and L is also for lye. If you want a lollipop tell your mom you've drunk all the lye (a little white lye) and when the doctor has pumped out your stomach he'll give you a nice red lollipop. And the alphabet's out of order to book.
Dacia
Dec 06, 2007 Dacia rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: humor
Even thought this says "Adults Only" I used to sneak it off the bookshelf and laugh at it when I was a kid (like 6 or 7). I re-read the whole thing when I was in my teens and found it even more hilarious. It's a fun little read, and comes from the very twisted (but very funny) mind of "Uncle Shelby". It's a far cry from his more heartstopping books like "The Giving Tree" and more along the lines of his silly poems - only for adults! Pick it up, you won't be sorry!
Prashant
This guy is damn funny. I thought Go the fuck to sleep was first of it's kind.

But Silverstein has done some wonders for adults to enjoy and to hide deep inside so their children won't see it.
llvllash!d _aaE
alefyaaaaaaaaaaaaaay amoo shelB

ketaaB ke age man vaasat bekhoonam
ghash mikoni
:d
vaa3 bozorgaas
dast e bache nade
magar in ke betoonin az pa3 bache he bar Baay

llvll
Patrick
Even though this book says that it is for adults kids can enjoy it too. This book would be a great book to use for kids in third or fourth grade. I would use this book to introduce a unit on writing children stories. I would assign the kids to write the simplest form of children’s book: an ABC book. This book would be able to show the kids that there can be more to an ABC book then A is for apple. Hopefully this book would strike an interest in the children and they would want to write an ABC bo...more
foo4luv
Merkin read this to me for our first date. We'd been talking on the phone, and he asked if he could come over and read me a bedtime story. We found a couch in the study section of my dorm, and he read it aloud to me. It was an awesome first date. I'd never seen anything so funny in my life.
jainabee
May 06, 2008 jainabee rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: very young children
Recommended to jainabee by: thanks, mom!
Fortunately, I read this as a child, long before it was designated "for adults only." I believe this malevolent, dangerous little book should be required reading for everyone under 10 years old. So there!
Amber the Human
A children's book ... not a children's book ... which one is it? Well, I wouldn't shelve it in the XZ section, as the LA public library does, because it is not a book for very young children at all. But I remember reading it when I was a bit older - eight, nine? And enjoying it.

My favorite page:

"O is for OZ. Do you want to visit the wonderful far-off Land of OZ where the Wizard lives and scarecrows can dance and the road is made of yellow bricks and everything is emerald green? Well, you can't b...more
Holly
I loved Shel Silverstein books as a child. So when I saw that he had written an "adult" book, I wanted to check it out. After reading it, labeling this book as for adults seems like something that the lawyers did so that they wouldn't get sued because someone tried something in the book. While this book isn't suited for young children, I think that older kids who can take a joke and aren't going to just do something because they read it in a book would be the ideal audience for this book. That s...more
Dewi
This is uncle Shelby's book for adult I think.
Made me laugh out loud this morning :))

G is for Gigolo.
See the gigolo.
A gigolo is a musical instrument.
The next time your mommy goes shopping ask her to buy you a gigolo.
She will think you are very cute and she will write it in to the Reader's Digest and they will print it and send you money.
Kyle
I found this book as I poked around a used book one summer morning, and even though I was on a budget, I couldn't not buy it. So I brought it home and shared it with my roommates - one of whom, it turns out, used to read this book to children at the daycare where she used to work.

Though Silverstein's other work are more famous than this one, I have to say that this is probably my favorite book of his. He's created an entire world in the pages of this book, one that everybody will enjoy. So read...more
Naeem Nedaee
Mommy loves the baby more than she loves you!
Luke
If you love Shel Silverstein, which you undoubtedly do, but have wondered what he might do if writing for adults, give this a peek. You can read it in about 15 minutes. While the content is geared toward adults, it's addressed to kids, and it offers such advice as stealing money from your parents to keep them from fighting over money, playing hopscotch with actual scotch (drink some, it'll help you hop a little higher!), and setting fires so you can meet those super cool firemen, because they on...more
Parham
دکتر عروسکی.
روی میزش پر بود از اسباب‌بازی.
می‌گفتم "گلوم درد می‌کنه"،
می‌گفت "عب نداره رفتی بیرون بشین همونجا و پاهات رو بکوب زمین، بگو بستنی می‌خوام، آدم‌آهنی می‌خوام، هواپیما می‌خوام؛
رفتی خونه لج کن، داد بزن، جیغ بکش، دیوارا رو خط‌خطی کن، پول مامان-بابا رو بردار و بگو چیپس و پفک می‌خوام، آشغالا رو بریز رو فرش.."
تندوتند می‌گفت و من انقدر می‌خندیدم که یادم می‌رفت از در که وارد شدم، مریض بودم.
موقع نسخه نوشتن هم یکی از عروسک‌هاش رو کوک می‌کرد روی میز.
بیشتر شبیه اتاقِ اسباب‌بازی بود تا مطب دکتر.
Jennifer Benfield Johnson
Just like the title says, this book is not for children. It looks like it is for children in every aspect but it tells the reader to do "bad" and rude things that you don't want your children to do. It is meant to be funny and playful in true Shel Silverstein style. As usual the illustrations are hilarious and original. I first read this book when I was about 11 yrs old and I actually still have it. I was a mature child so I knew not to do anything Uncle Shelby told me to do.
Leslie Rock
This book is originally written for adults but t could also be used with older students during a writing unit. Someone else commented that this book could be used with fourth and fifth grade students to write their own "ABC" children's book in a way that is different than just "A is for apple". I think that's such a wonderful idea and I would use it for creative writing as well. I believe students should be exposed goal kinds of literature like this.
Ahmad
Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book, Shel Silverstein, 1961
عنوان: «ال‍فبای انگلیسی عمو شلبی: کتاب پایه، ویژه ذهنهای جوان و لطیف»، اثر: «شل سیل‍ور استاین»؛ ترجمه: «رضی خدادادی (هیرمندی)»؛ ‏مشخصات نشر: «تهران، نشر هستان، ۱۳۷۹، در ۸۷ ص. مصور، شابک: 9646965059»؛ فارسی - انگلیسی، خلاصه: آموزش‌ الفبای انگلیسی و بکارگیری هر یک‌ از حروف در یک‌ کلمه همراه با جملاتی در ارتباط با آن‌ کلمه به‌صورت شعر یا داستان کوتاه
Skylar Burris
Delightfully wicked. Although this says "for adults only," in truth, the satirical barbs are not all that terribly different than those he places in his children's poems in books such as "Where the Sidewalk Ends"—it's just that those poems can be understood on two levels, by children and by adults, and these little tidbits…they would only confuse a young child and perhaps lead to untoward behavior.
Jan
No child should be allowed to read this and no immature adult should either. It's wickedly delightful and amusing, but dangerous in the hands of the under-aged. Ernie lives in the ceiling. Can you throw Ernie and egg? Ernie loves eggs.... Do you know how to scrape dried egg yolk and white off the ceiling? If not, hide your copy of this book in a secret spot that your children can't reach.
Nina
Apr 28, 2011 Nina rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: friends with a sense of humor
I loved this book. I no longer own a copy, though. I bought it when I worked in a bookstore, and every time i bought it, someone would borrow it and love it so much they wouldn't return it. I finally gave up and resigned myself to it living in my memory instead of on my bookshelf. Shel is one of the people I would most like to have dinner with (you know, living or no longer living).
Megan Ender
My Favorite letter in this book is L:

L IS ALSO FOR LYE
DO YOU WANT A NICE RED LOLLIPOP?
GO POUR ALL THE LYE INTO THE TOILET.
NOW TELL MOMMY YOU HAVE EATEN THE LYE
(THAT IS A FIB OR A LITTLE WHITE LYE)
MOMMY WILL TAKE YOU TO THE DOCTOR
IN A TAXI CAB .
AFTER THE DOCTOR PUMPS OUT
YOUR STOMACH,
HE WILL GIVE YOU A NICE RED LOLLIPOP.

BEST ALPHABET BOOK EVER!!!
Diane ~Firefly~
I LOVE this book! It is extremely funny and not for children. Uncle Shelby is not too fond of children and tries to get them into trouble throughout this primer. From having the alphabet out of order to telling the kids he hopes their parents didn't steal the quarter he stuck on the page, this is the book you never want to fall into your own kid's hands.
Cira
my grandma bought my sister and i this book for christmas in 1987...not realizing that it is NOT a children's book. we thought it was the funniest thing we had ever seen. "Uncle Shel" nearly convinced us to give poor daddy a haircut, and feed the genie in the ceiling eggs... the book 'mysteriously dissapeared' sometime around New Year's 1988.
Nancy
This alphabet book comes with a disclaimer—it’s for ‘Adults Only.’ The text is directed with tongue-in-cheek to kids, telling them to do ‘naughty’ things and includes stuff like a kidnapper with a lollipop. It instructs kids to drink ink and tells them to call the police if their parents try to “burn this book.” It’s ridiculously funny.
Mary
This book is one of my favorite ever. I've had it in my library since perhaps elementary school or middle school - my dad had a copy and I'm sure in my first couple of readings, I didn't get all the jokes. A must read - if you want to buy it, find it in the bookstore and take 15 minutes to have some good laughs.
Linda
Jan 06, 2012 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young adullts 16 and older to adult
Recommended to Linda by: Shel, who else
I am bias about the writings of Shel Silverstein. I first heard him read oon tape Where The SideWalk Ends. And that was it. He is an artist who thinks out of the box.And add a planet away. You will enjoy this book for young adults and old adults. You smile at the most unexpected time and sometimes laugh oust loud
Erik Graff
Aug 11, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Silverstein fans
Recommended to Erik by: Martin S.
Shelves: literature
I was introduced to this mock children's alphabet book by one of my best friends from Park Ridge. Particularly memorable was the page whereupon 'Uncle Shel' notes that he has pasted a quarter. There is indeed a circle and a hint of glue, but there is no coin. Clearly the giver of the book has stolen it...
Book of ABZs 1 17 Feb 19, 2009 03:57PM
  • The Boondocks: Because I Know You Don't Read the Newspaper
  • The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody
  • A Boy Named Shel: The Life and Times of Shel Silverstein
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • Mars Needs Moms!
  • The Lump of Coal
  • My Book About Me
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • Rootabaga Stories
  • The Pop-Up Book of Phobias
  • The Politically Correct Ultimate Storybook: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, Politically Correct Holiday Stories, Once Upon a More Enlightened Time
  • The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1)
  • Fairy Tales
  • Higglety Pigglety Pop!: Or There Must Be More to Life
  • Curious Sofa
  • Rhyme Stew
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...
Where the Sidewalk Ends The Giving Tree A Light in the Attic Falling Up The Missing Piece