Start by marking “Living Well With Pain And Illness: Using mindfulness to free yourself from suffering: The Mindful Way to Free Yourself from Suffering” as Want to Read:

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
'I admire Vidyamala Burch tremendously. Her approach could save your life - and give iot back to you'. Jon Kabat-Zinn, bestselling author of FULL CATASTROPHE LIVING
Published November 6th 2008 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Living Well With Pain And Illness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Well With Pain And Illness

Kat Davis
Aug 05, 2013 Kat Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based primarily on Eastern philosophies and pays close attention to the idea of mindfulness. I read it as part of a pain management course for my rheumatoid arthritis. I've had RA for nearly 13 years and it is starting to take a toll on my joints, reducing my mobility and drastically increasing my levels of pain.

People say arthritis is like having bad toothache all over your body you can do nothing about. I am lucky and have only several really bad joints, so I prefer to think of it
Maggie
a VERY helpful practical book that shows the what and the how of separating primary pain from secondary suffering. the first is sometimes unavoidable; the second is thoroughly optional. but we need wisdom to know the difference in being aware and dealing with pain.
Satia
The title is misleading in that it implies a purely physical interpretation of pain and/or illness. For more thoughts on this book:

I would recommend this book to anyone who has tried to read John Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living and didn't make it through or for someone who wants to rediscover similar principles but in a different voice.

Linda
Nov 11, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not very far into this book, but so far it is pretty helpful in describing the difference between pain/illness and the attitudes or reactions to pain/illness, which exacerbate the suffering. I think it will fit in with other things I have studied.
Kerryn
Mar 06, 2013 Kerryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is inspirational and appropriate for clinician and client alike.Read it first as an eBook then just had to have it in hard copy on the shelf for ready reference and use.
Jilda Leigh
This gave some great pointers on how to try to manage your pain and illness by using meditation and mind control, breathing, etc.
Marga
Apr 10, 2016 Marga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very useful book if you have chronic pain
Jodell
Jodell marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Elke Spinnewyn
Elke Spinnewyn marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Ande
Ande marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Marcella Mattar
Marcella Mattar is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Fi-Fi
Fi-Fi added it
Jan 03, 2016
Mumztheword
Mumztheword rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
A. W. Atkinson
A. W. Atkinson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Lizzi
Lizzi marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Kaz aka Mum
Kaz aka Mum rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Lee  Rowlands
Lee Rowlands rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Jessica Olson
Jessica Olson marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Zara Pemberton
Zara Pemberton marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Rob Lavin
Rob Lavin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
VIDYAMALA BURCH is founder and codirector of Breathworks, an organization offering mindfulness-based approaches to living well with chronic pain, illness, and stress and with teachers in over 15 countries. She is the author of LIVING WELL WITH PAIN AND ILLNESS, based on her acclaimed program, and YOU ARE NOT YOUR PAIN.
More about Vidyamala Burch...