Start by marking “Any Similiarity to Persons Living or Dead is Purely Coincidental” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Any Similiarity to Per...

Josh Alan Friedman

Any Similiarity to Persons Living or Dead is Purely Coincidental

4.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Published September 1st 1990 by Fantagraphics Books (first published December 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about Any Similiarity to Persons Living or Dead is Purely Coincidental

Still
Feb 12, 2015 Still rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fine Arts Students, Stand-Up Comedians, High School Graduates, B-Movie Junkies
Recommended to Still by: Shemp Howard
This book served as my official introduction to the art of Drew Friedman.

I'd seen much of his earliest work in such magazines as High Times, Heavy Metal, Spy, RAW, and Weirdo but then in 1985 I purchased this priceless collection of Friedman gems.
With my favorite member of the The 3 Stooges (Shemp Howard) as the book's cover-boy it was impossible for me to pass it by.

It was such a thrill in those days to stumble upon an artist/writer who was a fan of the same obscure B and C movie character acto
D.M.
Sep 23, 2013 D.M. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hearltess or light-hearted pop-culture fanatics
The Friedmans were another act I got into back in my early comics days. It seems like they'd pop up at least once in just about any periodical I was reading in the 1980s-90s. When this (and Warts And All) came out, it was inevitable I'd pick it up.
Looking back now, about 20 years later, it's easy to be a little (or more than a little) offended by the irreverence with which the Friedmans commit their satire. It's hard now to find the loss of Lou Costello's son as in any way a reasonable point to
Alex Firer
Feb 02, 2015 Alex Firer rated it really liked it
I love Drew Friedman, but I read so little of his early work! This is like a Rosetta Stone into so many of my heroes, from Michael Kupperman borrowing the joy of seeing one note old comedy archetypes spout their stupid lines in a complex world to Bill Griffith lifting the dadaist writing. The raw Jewish gusto worked its way into Dorkin in a way its never been seen before or since! (The gusto of the slightly annoyed Jewish nerd. This has a clear appeal at least to me and I wish more Jews would ow ...more
Mark Feltskog
Feb 10, 2014 Mark Feltskog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Simply hilarious, and one of my favorite comics of all time; the last copy I had was a Penguin trade paperback which fell apart almost immediately after I bought it, so I am glad to see that Fantagraphics has brought it out in a handsome hardcover edition. This is the book that asks that all-important question: "Work for Tor?" Highly recommended.
Stephen
Sep 18, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this 25 years ago and this still holds up! Fantastic speckling art, interesting perspectives of fringe celebrities, it just doesn't get much better than this. And that is the sad part: it never did. This is much, much better than the stuff they do in Mad magazine today, or stuff like Old Jewish Comedians, it just doesn't compare to their biting, silly fun they gave us in the 80s. Sorry, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
John Kieffer
John Kieffer marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jimmy H.
Jimmy H. rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Andrew Calaman
Andrew Calaman rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Mirko-Daniel Varjosaari
Mirko-Daniel Varjosaari marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Patrick Brennick
Patrick Brennick rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Patrick Bruss (Crypticus)
Patrick Bruss (Crypticus) rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Brendan Booth
Brendan Booth rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Gabe Martin
Gabe Martin rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Rontx
Rontx rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
James Mahoney
James Mahoney marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Joe Blevins
Joe Blevins rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Nevs
Nevs rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Jarret
Jarret rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
In 1987, writer-guitarist Josh Alan Friedman sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads (the Crossroads of the World--Broadway & 42nd Street) and moved to Texas. He'd just written Tales of Times Square , a cult classic. An Expanded Edition with new chapters was recently released, while the still-unfinished movie of Tales has played 35 film festivals.

Joshs latest book is Black Cracker, the s

More about Josh Alan Friedman...