Start by marking “Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism” as Want to Read:
Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism

Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In Calming the Fearful Mind, Thich Nhat Hanh examines the roots of terrorism and fear, showing how both can be overcome through compassion and an open heart. Teaching that we will only be safe when we acknowledge our real enemies, ignorance and violence, Nhat Hanh offers step-by-step instructions for calming the mind and looking deeply into our own misperceptions. He shows ...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Calming the Fearful Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calming the Fearful Mind

Mike
Feb 20, 2008 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
If you've read any of Thich Nhat Hanh's books, parts of this one will seem familiar to you. Hanh's message of mindfulness is so simple that it often seems to need little expanding upon. Yet I find it remarkable that heeding such simple advice can be so difficult for me.

Any of his books is always a welcome nudge back onto the path, or at least near where it begins, and a reminder of the importance of compassion, clarity and patience in my daily life and my dealings with others.
Ido
This is the first book of Thich Nhat Hanh I've read and I found it to be an excellent start. I had heard of Mr. Hanh (what *is* the appropriate title for a Buddhist monk?) from a variety of sources but had never read any of his writings until I came across this book at the Montgomery County Library. I tend to be skeptical about how compassion can be such a force to change people (but then I have a very low opinion of human nature - humans, by and large, tend towards the lowest common denominator ...more
Nathan
A short read. The title says it all. In every day life we are aware that terrorism can happen. What about the terrorism within ourselves? It's easy enough to be afraid in a world like this where even pollution, politics, and money can be considered terrorists. This book was written post 9/11 when people were hysterical and losing their peace of mind. Read it and wonder how we can ease our fears and further the path toward peaceful living.
Maia Gallagher-siudzinski
The words calm as you read them. Like the rhythm of a good prayer Thich Nhat Hanh's simple metaphors reveal deep truths about the human experience. At times he becomes overly political. However the best passages are not few or far between and they tend to resonated with a deep timeless truth.
Lee
I read this book a few years ago and found it inspiring and at the same time alarming as our nation pursued a policy of pre-emptive war. Thich Nhat Hanh has such depth of experience through his work with engaged Buddhist resistance to war.
Jennifer Ricker
Beautiful book. I wish more Americans would pick this book up and read it. I wish our entire society would begin working in a direction of healing. I think we would be wonderful examples to the world if we even considered Thich Nhat Hanh's advice!
Erica
Jul 16, 2009 Erica added it
I have recently become interested in Thich Nhat Hanh, and bought a few of his books. I will write more about this one once I am further along.

Never really captivated me... never finished.
Carrie
wondering what a liberal response to terrorism would be, this is it. Not the best airplane book though.
Alicia
I did feel zen. I did. It felt like ecstasy. It lasted almost a whole day.
Mike
We should all strive to think and live this way ...
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Abigail Kathryn
Abigail Kathryn marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Em Dahlström
Em Dahlström marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Koula Kremastioti
Koula Kremastioti marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Camila Quintana
Camila Quintana marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Zoe
Zoe is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Joy
Joy added it
Mar 08, 2014
Kirsti
Kirsti marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Kathryn Osborn
Kathryn Osborn marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ Being Peace The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation