Start by marking “Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism” as Want to Read:
Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism

Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In Calming the Fearful Mind, Thich Nhat Hanh examines the roots of terrorism and fear, showing how both can be overcome through compassion and an open heart. Teaching that we will only be safe when we acknowledge our real enemies, ignorance and violence, Nhat Hanh offers step-by-step instructions for calming the mind and looking deeply into our own misperceptions. He shows ...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Calming the Fearful Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calming the Fearful Mind

Mike
Feb 20, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
If you've read any of Thich Nhat Hanh's books, parts of this one will seem familiar to you. Hanh's message of mindfulness is so simple that it often seems to need little expanding upon. Yet I find it remarkable that heeding such simple advice can be so difficult for me.

Any of his books is always a welcome nudge back onto the path, or at least near where it begins, and a reminder of the importance of compassion, clarity and patience in my daily life and my dealings with others.
Ido
Mar 26, 2014 Ido rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Thich Nhat Hanh I've read and I found it to be an excellent start. I had heard of Mr. Hanh (what *is* the appropriate title for a Buddhist monk?) from a variety of sources but had never read any of his writings until I came across this book at the Montgomery County Library. I tend to be skeptical about how compassion can be such a force to change people (but then I have a very low opinion of human nature - humans, by and large, tend towards the lowest common denominator ...more
Tif
Jun 29, 2016 Tif rated it it was amazing
more than ever, this book is so relevant and needs to be read by everyone. i have read a few of Thich Nhat Hanh's books and every one leaves me open to finding compassion for myself and for my fellow man. this book gives me hope despite a very sad state of affairs we are now in and makes me believe it is possible for this world of ours to work together and find a solution to the hatred and anger which seems to be getting worse and worse. i pray we can start to become one before it is too late.
Melle
Dec 22, 2014 Melle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone, especially leaders
Every political leader, from grassroots activists to heads of state, needs to read this book.
Daniel Rickenbach
Feb 15, 2016 Daniel Rickenbach rated it really liked it
Recommended to Daniel Rickenbach by: http://www.parallax.org/calming-the-f...
Thich Nhat Hanh's way of dealing with life is admirable. It is simple in keeping with his practice of Zen. I think that seeds of truth very important to plant and carefully tend as the sprouts mature. There is likely no single truth, but many, as always the Zen and Buddhist traditions of self-awareness inspire me deeply.

I can be the best version of being in this world. The NOW is of utmost importance, it deserves and requires our undivided attention.
Edgar
Aug 30, 2013 Edgar rated it it was amazing
A short read. The title says it all. In every day life we are aware that terrorism can happen. What about the terrorism within ourselves? It's easy enough to be afraid in a world like this where even pollution, politics, and money can be considered terrorists. This book was written post 9/11 when people were hysterical and losing their peace of mind. Read it and wonder how we can ease our fears and further the path toward peaceful living.
Maia Gallagher-siudzinski
The words calm as you read them. Like the rhythm of a good prayer Thich Nhat Hanh's simple metaphors reveal deep truths about the human experience. At times he becomes overly political. However the best passages are not few or far between and they tend to resonated with a deep timeless truth.
Lee
Mar 30, 2010 Lee rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years ago and found it inspiring and at the same time alarming as our nation pursued a policy of pre-emptive war. Thich Nhat Hanh has such depth of experience through his work with engaged Buddhist resistance to war.
Jennifer Ricker
Dec 16, 2012 Jennifer Ricker rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. I wish more Americans would pick this book up and read it. I wish our entire society would begin working in a direction of healing. I think we would be wonderful examples to the world if we even considered Thich Nhat Hanh's advice!
Erica
Jul 16, 2009 Erica added it
I have recently become interested in Thich Nhat Hanh, and bought a few of his books. I will write more about this one once I am further along.

Never really captivated me... never finished.
Marion
Feb 01, 2016 Marion rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Another meaningful book by Thich Nhat Hanh. This one feels particularly relevant and practical right now with his suggestion to respond to terrorism by seeking to understand others.
Carrie
Jul 25, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing
wondering what a liberal response to terrorism would be, this is it. Not the best airplane book though.
Alicia
Apr 21, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
I did feel zen. I did. It felt like ecstasy. It lasted almost a whole day.
Mike
Nov 03, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it
We should all strive to think and live this way ...
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Maaike
Maaike marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Riti
Riti marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Dr
Dr marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Michael Grassa
Michael Grassa rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Hannah Emory
Hannah Emory marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Davut Vatansever
Davut Vatansever marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Hicham Aoun
Hicham Aoun is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2016
Codii
Codii marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Esme Fussell
Esme Fussell marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Nguyen Linh
Nguyen Linh marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Deby Jizi
Deby Jizi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Joules Mirra
Joules Mirra marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Emm Tynan
Emm Tynan rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Jasdeep Kaur
Jasdeep Kaur marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Pema Chodron and Alice Walker in Conversation: On the Meaning of Suffering and the Mystery of Joy
  • The Hungry Spirit
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Bubble Of American Supremacy
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation
  • How to Cook Your Life: From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment
  • Nothing Special
  • The Big Questions: A Buddhist Response to Life's Most Challenging Mysteries
  • Buddhism After Patriarchy: A Feminist History, Analysis, and Reconstruction of Buddhism
  • Doctor on Everest: Emergency Medicine at the Top of the World - A Personal Account of the 1996 Disaster
  • How Your House Works: A Visual Guide to Understanding & Maintaining Your Home
  • The Open-Focus Brain: Harnessing the Power of Attention to Heal Mind and Body
  • The Origin of Financial Crises: Central Banks, Credit Bubbles, and the Efficient Market Fallacy
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...