Start by marking “Stages of Meditation: Training the Mind for Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Stages of Meditation: Training the Mind for Wisdom

Stages of Meditation: Training the Mind for Wisdom

In Stages of Meditation, His Holiness offers his highly practical views on the subject of meditation: how to meditate, the various different procedures and approaches we can take, what we and others may gain from it. He explains how we can develop a spiritual path in a proper sequence rather than in a scattered, piecemeal fashion. He also shows the importance of building u ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 176 pages
Published April 30th 2003 by Rider (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Stages of Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stages of Meditation

Samuel Snoek-Brown
Jul 25, 2008 Samuel Snoek-Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
I need to reread this--I read it quickly during His Holiness the Dalai Lama's week-long teachings from it--and perhaps I appreciate this text more for the explanations His Holiness offered during those teachings, but this book is, so far, one of the two most profound and instructive guides to formal meditation I've read yet. It's not for beginners, because I feel some background in Buddhist philosophy and/or meditation practices will be useful, but it's not for experts, either--I'm certainly no ...more
bubblesm
Definitely needs a re-read. Heavy material.
Ann
Jan 10, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for those who have already become comfortable with the process of meditation. For many years, I did not know how to take my meditation to the next level and this book has valuable lessons to get the most out of meditation practice. According to this text, this book is the middle teaching of a three-part teaching. I am not sure if there are english translations of the other two teachings. If anyone knows how to find it, please contact me!
Mariana
Apr 01, 2012 Mariana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too analytical. I wasn't ready to read it but someone gave it to me.
Gerardo
Apr 14, 2016 Gerardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(In Spanish below)

"Stages of meditation" is His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama oral commentary on Kamalashila's (the 8th Century Indian master who first helped establish Buddhism in Tibet along with Shantarakshita) Middle Stages of Meditation, a text on the development of relative bodhichitta (equanimity, great loving-kindness and great compassion, the enlightenment thought) and absolute bodhichitta (mental quiescence and special insight).

Both the original text and His Holiness explanation of it ar
Clara
Jun 01, 2013 Clara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains the XIV Dalai Lama's translation of, and commentary on, the intermediate stages of meditation outlined by Kamalashita. Kamalishita was a 9th-century Indian scholar, "the first to compose a significant text in Tibet with the intention of dispelling the misunderstandings then prevailing there." The book is a translation of the teaching that the Dalai Lama gave in 1989 at Manali, a small town that has a long relationship with Tibetans and the people of the Indo-Tibetan border reg ...more
Carlton Brown
Jun 26, 2014 Carlton Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book and well worth your investment of money, time & mind. A great orientation to meditation and some important Buddhist spiritual insights to help orient your meditation, life and help you understand some important factors impacting meditations outcome (calm abiding) and its consequences (compassion, mindfulness). At the time i read this my experience with meditation was nascent and the snippets and gems picked up helped me progress my meditation immensely. I think this is a great b ...more
Mett
Jan 06, 2013 Mett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captures the Dalai Lama in his classical role, explaining an ancient Buddhist text to monks in Northern India. The exposition is simply translated from Tibetan, and it shows us the subtlety of an advanced class for committed practitioners. Where our sound-bite world commonly simplifies religion to some "main point", the Dalai Lama's careful reflections always maintain a balancing act. The terse root text by Kamalashila is expanded on, the way a seasoned mountain guide explains a map th ...more
Richard Riddle
Jul 24, 2013 Richard Riddle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enlightening book, I enjoyed both the presentation and explanations. Though there are part or thoughts that I do not agree, my purpose for picking up this book was to better understand how to clear my mind and learn to meditate. The Dalai Lama helped me understand the difficulties I have been experiencing. Reading Stages of Meditation has help me improve. I often find my mind reaching that "calm abiding," during my early morning walks and also during other times of the day.

I rec
Heidi The Hippie Librarian
I'm certain that this text has a huge amount of wisdom in it, but I wasn't able to understand most of it at this time. I wouldn't consider this the Dalai Lama's most accessible work. Though it is a very complete interpretation and analysis of Kamalashila's Stages of Meditation, I feel that this requires an extensive background in Buddhist texts to comprehend. If you are looking for a book by the Dalai Lama that is more approachable for Westerners or beginning Buddhist scholars, I'd recommend the ...more
Barbara
May 07, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that considers themselves well-grounded in Buddhist teachings and meditation practice.
This translation of an old Tibetan text by the Dalai Lama is very insightful, but I think it could be confusing if you are new at Buddhist teachings. The translation of some of his phrases are not oriented toward Americans. An understanding of some of these translation phrases needs some thought and consideration.
Trisha
I've read several books on religion/beliefs (Buddhism in particular). This is by far the best one I've read. I don't know if reading the previous books made this one so clear. The teachings start from small building blocks of being ready. Then meditating correctly. And finally leaving meditation with peace and clarity to be the help the world needs.
Steven Walker
Although I love the Dalai Lama, his books for me tend to miss the mark and become too steeped in Buddhist traditions. My meditation practice is perhaps too novice for this book as I did not find it very helpful. There definitely are many wonderful insights throughout the book, but overall I found it difficult and slow to read.
Spz0
Aug 08, 2008 Spz0 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
boy, talk about fatty. I learned absolute patience from this book.
My advice for this one, is ; Take a paragraph, and think about it for a couple hours, then read it again.
Im still trying to understand parts of this book. Think it'll be the next to be picked up again, after the Dark Tower Series
James
Aug 05, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This book is a succinct and informative discourse on basic elements of Tibetan Buddhist meditation. It's too abstract to act as a beginner's handbook, but it can help deepen your practice or provide some understanding of the Mahayana path within Buddhism.
Saturnina
While there were good ideas in the book, it was too obscured by technical terms and such. I hoped it would have been a bit more practical and sometimes I wondered if the straining of concentration needed to read the book were the stages of meditation...
Lakpa Tashi Bhutia
If you like buddhist philosophy and you are on meditation. Then the book is for you. Otherwise it is not for general people who do meditation. The book describe pre-requisite and different stages of meditation from the perspective of Buddhism.
Tommy Burke
Mar 06, 2013 Tommy Burke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A practical approach to the art of meditation. His holiness gives a very practical guide in the techniques of the Tibetan tradition. While somewhat repetitive at times it merely underlines the simplicity of the approach.
mauroo
Whether you find yourself in heaven or hell, your purpose is to help other sentient beings. It does not matter how long it takes. You should determine that the altruistic intention to achieve Buddhahood for the sake of all sentient beings will be your only practice, whether you live or die.
Serena Long ﺕ
Aug 04, 2015 Serena Long ﺕ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by His Holiness The Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso.
Too analytical! A great book for those who have already become comfortable with the process of meditation.
This text can be like a key that opens the door to all other major Buddhist scriptures.
Mckinley
(Part of the teachings in Madison along with Bodhicaryavatara.) Based on Kamalashila's work. Basically the only Buddhist book a practitioner needs.

One of my top 10 Buddhist books.
Artem
Aug 19, 2012 Artem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
One of the good introductory readings on Buddhism.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the enlightened
Shelves: lobagsbooks
This is good, but lets face it not many of my friends are into this. You have to want to explore this avenue in order to appreciate it.
Cynthia
Aug 05, 2012 Cynthia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by j
Polly kuelbs
Jamie clare
Jun 21, 2013 Jamie clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by reading the Amazon reviews I am almost confused as to what book I had just read... If you are found of the Dalai Lama, this is part of his routine.... calm abiding
Artie
Comong up!
Yang
Jan 25, 2017 Yang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive, not much insights, nearly no detailed instruction on meditative practice.
John
Jan 26, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HHDL does Master Kamalashila's Stages of Meditation, the source text on which all Tibetan Buddhists meditation teachings are based.
Paige
A keeper. Need to have own your shelf.
Nella Nk
Nella Nk rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
  • The Life of Milarepa: A New Translation from the Tibetan
  • The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Volume 1)
  • The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • The Divine Romance: Collected Talks and Essays on Realizing God in Daily Life
  • The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation: As Taught by S. N. Goenka
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...

“Una dieta vegetariana pobre en proteínas constituye una manera sana de vivir. Incluso si no podéis ser estrictamente vegetarianos, será beneficioso moderar la cantidad de carne que coméis. En las escuelas meridionales del budismo, el hecho de comer carne no está estrictamente prohibido, pero la carne de algunos animales, como los que no tienen la pezuña hendida o no han sido especialmente sacrificados para vuestro consumo personal, está prohibida. Lo que quiere decir que la carne vendida habitualmente en los mercados es aceptable. A la carne que puede ser comida se le llama «carne pura» y se distingue por tres condiciones: que no hayáis visto sacrificar al animal para que os lo comáis, que no tengáis ninguna información al respecto y que no tengáis ninguna duda sobre el hecho de que el animal no haya sido sacrificado especialmente para vuestro consumo personal. En general, las escuelas budistas del Mahayana no prohíben tampoco el consumo de carne. Sin embargo, algunas escrituras, como el Sutra del descenso a Lanka10 prohíben estricta y permanentemente el consumo de carne, mientras que otras, como la Esencia del Madhyamika11 de Acharya Bhavaviveka, parecen autorizarlo. De modo que algunos de los textos Mahayana relativos a la perfección de la sabiduría12 prohíben el consumo de carne, mientras que otros no. Las tres clases inferiores de tantra prohíben estrictamente comer carne, mientras que las clases superiores autorizan el consumo. Algunas prácticas rituales propias de esta clase de tantra requieren los cinco tipos de carne y los cinco tipos de néctar. Por lo tanto, y según la regla más general, se puede comer la carne que se encuentra en el mercado, pero debemos abstenernos de matar o permitir que se maten animales para nuestro consumo personal.” 0 likes