I'm Not Really Here

I'm Not Really Here

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The popular actor and comedian shares his observations on why things are the way they are while sharing his offbeat opinions about the meaning of life and his personal role in it.
Published January 1st 1996 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Really Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Really Here

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingBorn Standing Up by Steve MartinMy Point... And I Do Have One by Ellen DeGeneresSeinLanguage by Jerry Seinfeld
Written by Comedians
16th out of 90 books — 41 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingDad Is Fat by Jim GaffiganBorn Standing Up by Steve MartinIf You Ask Me by Betty White
Books by Comics
50th out of 64 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Apr 12, 2009 ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
This book is absolutely terrible. 38 pages in and I give up. Now, I loved his first book, Don't Stand Too Close To A Naked Man. That one was fun lighthearted reading. This book is about his weekend alone while his wife and daughter are away as he nears a mid-life crisis trying to find the answers to why we're here, etc. To give you an idea about why this book by a comedian is so obnoxious, let me just state that on page 37 he starts going into detail about a quantum physics priciple called Schro...more
Michelle
I decided to sample what was in the biography section of the little book outlet here, wanting to learn more about the backgrounds of a few famous and little-known people. That brought this book into my hand.

What was surprising here was that Tim Allen (whom I enjoyed years ago as Tim "The Toolman" Taylor) is really into quantum physics and is very well read on that deep topic, his road to searching for meaning in life. Apparently, he dismisses out-of-hand the possibility of Christianity being ev...more
Jessica
This was a re-read for me, from waaayyyy back in my youth. Very funny to read a book, by the way, where he's introducing the concept of email and the internet to an audience that might not be familiar with it, and at one point says how a movie better be good because they're charging a very pricey $7.50 for theater tickets. Ha! The 90s!

So, first 90% of book is enjoyable when he sticks to the funny and less so when he attempts to be all mystical/profound/revelatory/navel-gazey. Hmph. Then last 10%...more
Perdita
I expected something completely different, but I was thrilled with what I got, this book really made me think instead of guffaw. There is humour in it, but it is much closer to philosophic topics. I enjoyed it lots, to me it was actually much better than "Don't stand too close to a naked man", and if he wrote something new I would buy it at once.
Isman
May 16, 2008 Isman rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tim Allen fans--they'll laugh at anything he comes up with
One day, Tim read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. He got an enlightenment. He wished to share it with us all. Then he got another enlightenment. He could sell it as a book.

Well I got an enlightenment as well. Tim could've wrapped it in one sentence, "Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."
Dianne
Yes, Tim Allen on quantum mechanics, and I'm not joking. This was a real surprise to say the least. So good.
Tim
I don't ordinarily read all this "cosmic consciousness" (what my wife refers to as "woo-woo" - see my review of "One Door Away From Heaven" by Dean Koontz) stuff, mostly, I think, because I have met all too many pompous purveyors of the whole shebang. However, I've always liked Tim Allen's viewpoint. SOOOO, here we go: This is a sort of cosmic journey of self-discovery through a sort of existential process - the journey being more important than the destination, which I DO espouse). Lot of refle...more
Jamie
Jul 06, 2009 Jamie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to want to waste money, time, and brain cells.
Shelves: comedy, philosophy
Having enjoyed Tim Allen's first book, I got this book, expecting more comedy. Instead, I got a big dose of Deepak Chopra "reality is a myth" pseudo-philosophy, combined with an attempt at understanding quantum mechanics, with a side of humor. Unfortunately, it gives a barely passable attempt at the humor, while making a mess of the philosophy - so much so that I couldn't bring myself to add a tag of "non-fiction" to this book.

This book is closely related to the fictional book "Why Do You Think...more
Drahman A
Gives a totally different perspective on Tim Allen as a person, which is an interesting phenomenon in itself. It covers very intriguing concepts in a clever and funny way. The book's presentation was good and information had a nice rhythm which kept my interest through the conclusion. Information was presented in a lighthearted, easy-to-follow manner, but the actual substance of the topics is rather dense, and lends itself to further research. I took frequent breaks in order to give it due consi...more
Waven
I read this several years ago (when many of its references weren't so out-dated) but it never seemed to find direction and break out of its rut of uncertainty. I think after his first book (which I loved), Tim Allen was pressured to write a second, either for money or attention or to satisfy the whims of the publishing-powers-that-be. But his heart wasn't in it, and it shows. It has its moments, but too much of it feels forced and unsure of what it really wants to say. If you happen across this...more
Jacquie South
Not really what I was expecting, I found this somewhat self-indulgent and not really that brilliant - I did skim some chunks, esp the LONG letter from his friend Chris. I am slightly suspicious of people who spend their time trying to figure out the meaning of life and their place in it - rather egotistical in my opinion, and really a waste of time as I'm sure the universe will continue on it's way regardless of our thoughts on it (though of course I could be wrong ... I'm sure Tim Allen wouldn'...more
Tauni
Having read Tim Allen's first book "Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man", I was eager to read more of his writings. However, this book was a disappointment. I was expecting humor, but he actually went on to explain quantum physics and such. I have absolutely no understanding of physics, and even though he dumbed it down, this was not the read I was hoping for. As guilty as I feel, I couldn't finish the book. I got to about page 40 and had to put it down.
Hopefully he'll come out with another boo...more
Denise
This book wasn't what I thought it would be! I thought it was going to be alot of silly anecdotes about Hollywood and being a stand-up comedian, but it was deep, or cleverly disguised as deep, into quantum physics, and "What is the meaning of Life?", etc. As usual, after reading this book, I have more questions than answers. I might even have to delve into some or all of the books Mr. Allen suggests for future reading!
Carlajo Webb
I like Tim Allen alot. I love Gallaxy Quest. So I had to give this book a chance. And...I really liked it! Didn't really expect to, but there you go. There's a good chance its because, if he's really like he writes himself in the book, we are alot a like. Maybe not kindred spirits, but still. And not just losing stuff, and gaining valuble insight into yourself while you search for the d#$%!@#$ things.Anyway...
Linda
Quantum Physics: Am I really here? "I = spiritual creature having an occasional human experience" "Really = reality--accept what is" "Here = place is to space as time is to eternity" "Synchronicities = external manifestations of thoughts", thoughts showing up in outside world, coincidences/predestined chances, happening at the same time We are not in control of our lives--only our reactions
Eric
There were a few funny parts, but the overall theme of the book really drags it down. I'm not as into Quantum Physics as the author is, so other than a few wise cracks, I didn't get into it. I started the sympathize with the mid-life crisis of a 40 something father, but that was too thin to carry the book
Rachel Weis
After thoroughly enjoying Tim's book, "Never Stand Next to a Naked Man", I found this a huge disappointment. I couldn't finish it. It's pointless, boring and disjointed. Even the humor, which is Tim's specialty, is lacking. I think Tim should write about something he knows and it's not quantum physics.
Kelly
Oct 19, 2008 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: College peeps
I know, Tim Allen. It's actually a rather serious book and somewhat philosophical, but completely trapped in the ordinary. Sort of a bizarre twist on a "celebrity" lifestyle. It has a smooth pace, so I recommend it on a beach while on vacation. It's not too heady so you won't get overloaded.
J Matthew
I read this ages ago, it's what sparked my interest in Quantum Physics and Philosophy. I just had to add it on here since it holds such a special place in my heart. lol
It's not the greatest book ever written, but as long as you don't take yourself too seriously you'll enjoy it!
Lynda
I read this in my mid teens and it helped fuel an interest in quantum physics. I found the book not only funny, but eerily insightful. Leagues better than Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man. Definitely worth a re-read if I can find it.
Chris
Not as good as his first book, but still worth reading. It seems far more like his way of dealing with a midlife crisis. I've read it numerous times and still don't find it anywhere near as entertaining as the first. Still, it's worth a read.
David Erickson
Nov 14, 2010 David Erickson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: general adult audiences
Recommended to David by: no one
An absolute pleasure to read. Tim Allen is at his quirky, middle-of-the-road kind of guy, not unlike his character on Home Improvement, but without the 'accident waiting to happen' plot devices. Very entertaining. I'd read anything Tim Allen writes.
James
A surprising and enjoyable find - I'd enjoyed Tim Allen's work as a comedian, and was expecting some laughs; those were part of the book, but there is also surprising depth and range here. I'd like to hang out with this guy.
Daniel Mccarthy
Don't stand too close to a Naked man is funnier than this. This book goes a bit deeper and gets into philosophy as well, a good book but might have been too young at the time to appreciate it.
Zach Helm
I got this book for a white elephant gift. The most entertaining part of my reading the book was that I had terrible gas and kept farting, and the ESPN highlights on tv in the backround.
Ross Cavins
A must for any Quantum Physics buff. A great beginner book to start someone off on, full of excellent layman explanations.

I know, Tim the Toolman?

He knows his Physics.
Nadine/Dina Bourne
the beginnig was a little odd. but the book was good. I heard after I read this that he and the wife split. sad it seemd like the had a good relationship. at least from his side.
Josh
I couldn't get past the first quarter of the book. It tries to occasionally be funny, but is just weighed down by so much philosophical garbage that it fails miserably.
Christian
Maybe that book was entertaining when it first appeared but reading it almost ten years later isn't such a good idea because it doesn't seem that great anymore.
  • Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games
  • Couplehood
  • Waiting for the Galactic Bus (Snake Oil, #1)
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945
  • True Stories of Law & Order: SVU
  • My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A Gun
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice
  • Grace After Midnight: A Memoir
  • Don't Step in the Leadership
  • Gun Guys: A Road Trip
  • Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home
  • Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects
  • Ranting Again
  • Becoming Batman: The Possibility of a Superhero
  • The Secret of Spring

Tim Allen is an American comedian, actor, voice-over artist and entertainer perhaps best known for his role in the sitcom Home Improvement and his roles in the Disney film series of The Santa Clause and Toy Story. He was ranked #48 on Comedy Central Presents: 100 Greatest...more
More about Tim Allen...