The First Century: Emperors, Gods and Everyman

The First Century: Emperors, Gods and Everyman

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  5 reviews
An engrossing popular history of the major events and people at the time of Jesus, the Roman Empire, and the Han Dynasty.
Published February 1st 2008 by Castle Books (first published 1990)

Maureen
Extremely well-written, engaging account of the global (Eurasian) system of the first century CE through the eyes/experience of the chief powerbrokers of the era, mainly those in Rome, Judea, Parthia, China. From their perspectives, the continental mechanisms of exchange that were emerging offered considerable reward even as they required considerable regulation and supervision. The biographic approach allows the author to cast light on the cultural underpinnings as well as the political and mil...more
Redsteve
Plugged as "Emperors, Gods and Everyman", this book has a distinct lack of "everyman". While this is a decent popular history book with an interesting slant (it runs parallel chapters on the Roman Empire, Early Christianity and the Han Dynasty -mostly - through the First Century), but it is 60% politital/military, 30% religious, and 10% social history. As a result, the common man gets short shrift.
Sandra D
I picked this up at a library book sale and, when it finally shuffled to the top of my to-read pile, I cringed because I haven't had much luck trying to read ancient history. It doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

It was a pleasant surprise then to find in this book such an engaging study of a tumultuous period of the Roman Empire, from the reign of Augustus through the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem and the siege at Masada.

My only quibble is that the Chinese chapters didn't seem to belong...more
Shawn Thrasher
This felt like Klingaman wrote three books - one on Rome, one on Judea, and another on China - dismantled them, and then reassembled them as one book, but without any transition. At least Judea and Rome have a clear cut connection; I wasn't exactly sure what the connection between Rome and China was save for the fact that they both existed in the first century. Parts of this book were actually very interesting, but overall, this felt like a disjointed mess.
Patricia_Bjaaland
Oct 20, 2009 Patricia_Bjaaland rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love history
Clever overview of China, Jerusalem and the Roman Empire during the first century CE, with the weight of the book focused on the Roman Empire. Entertaining and informative.
Somdutta
Somdutta marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
José Luís
José Luís marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Matthew Saundry
Matthew Saundry marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Tim Valliant
Tim Valliant marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Meredith Ludlow
Meredith Ludlow marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Rami
Rami marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Katherine (Kat) Nagel
Katherine (Kat) Nagel marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Karel Richards
Karel Richards is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2013
Farriskhalid
Farriskhalid marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Mmime
Mmime added it
Nov 24, 2013
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Year Without Summer: 1816 and the Volcano That Darkened the World and Changed History 1929: The Year of the Great Crash Abraham Lincoln and the Road to Emancipation: 1861-1865 1941: Our Lives in a World on the Edge 1919, The Year Our  World Began