Start by marking “The First Century: Emperors, Gods and Everyman” as Want to Read:
The First Century: Emperors, Gods and Everyman

The First Century: Emperors, Gods and Everyman

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An engrossing popular history of the major events and people at the time of Jesus, the Roman Empire, and the Han Dynasty.
Published February 1st 2008 by Castle Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The First Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Century

Maureen
Extremely well-written, engaging account of the global (Eurasian) system of the first century CE through the eyes/experience of the chief powerbrokers of the era, mainly those in Rome, Judea, Parthia, China. From their perspectives, the continental mechanisms of exchange that were emerging offered considerable reward even as they required considerable regulation and supervision. The biographic approach allows the author to cast light on the cultural underpinnings as well as the political and mil ...more
Redsteve
Plugged as "Emperors, Gods and Everyman", this book has a distinct lack of "everyman". While this is a decent popular history book with an interesting slant (it runs parallel chapters on the Roman Empire, Early Christianity and the Han Dynasty -mostly - through the First Century), but it is 60% politital/military, 30% religious, and 10% social history. As a result, the common man gets short shrift.
Sandra D
I picked this up at a library book sale and, when it finally shuffled to the top of my to-read pile, I cringed because I haven't had much luck trying to read ancient history. It doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

It was a pleasant surprise then to find in this book such an engaging study of a tumultuous period of the Roman Empire, from the reign of Augustus through the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem and the siege at Masada.

My only quibble is that the Chinese chapters didn't seem to belong
Jennifer Lester
Hard to put down...well researched as well.
Shawn Thrasher
This felt like Klingaman wrote three books - one on Rome, one on Judea, and another on China - dismantled them, and then reassembled them as one book, but without any transition. At least Judea and Rome have a clear cut connection; I wasn't exactly sure what the connection between Rome and China was save for the fact that they both existed in the first century. Parts of this book were actually very interesting, but overall, this felt like a disjointed mess.
Patricia
Oct 20, 2009 Patricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love history
Clever overview of China, Jerusalem and the Roman Empire during the first century CE, with the weight of the book focused on the Roman Empire. Entertaining and informative.
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Paola
Paola added it
Mar 27, 2015
A Kritzer
A Kritzer marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Rachel Payne
Rachel Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Saqib
Saqib added it
Feb 22, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Yevgeny Levin
Yevgeny Levin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Alena
Alena marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Kevin Kimbrough
Kevin Kimbrough is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Mahmoud
Mahmoud is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2014
Jean Wetmore
Jean Wetmore marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Skye Dark
Skye Dark marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Durene
Durene marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Year Without Summer: 1816 and the Volcano That Darkened the World and Changed History 1929: The Year of the Great Crash Abraham Lincoln and the Road to Emancipation: 1861-1865 1941: Our Lives in a World on the Edge 1919, The Year Our  World Began