Start by marking “Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism

Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
For a comprehensive and eminently comprehensible overview of Tibetan Buddhism, look to Power's substantial Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism.Booklist
Published January 1st 1995 by Snow Lion Publications

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism

Michele
Ommmm, I want to immerse myself in the robed peace of the Tibetan monks. Here's a paraphrased excerpt from the Introduction of this book: A lotus is born in the muck and mud at the bottom of a swamp, but when it emerges on the surface of the water and opens its petals, a beautiful flower appears, unstained by the mud from which it arose.
Similarly, genuine compassion arises from the muck of the ordinary world, which is characterized by fighting, hatred, distrust, anxiety, and other negative emot
John
John Powers's Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism meets a genuine need in providing nonspecialist students of religion or Asian studies with an overview of this distinctive form of Buddhist belief and practice. In clear and readable language, the book mostly achieves its stated goal of being "a systematic and wonderfully clear presentation of Tibetan Buddhist views and practices."

Powers begins with a survey of Buddhist history and doctrine, with a focus on Mahāyāna philosophy. This whole opening s
Sabio
Jul 15, 2007 Sabio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
I loved this book, but I am partial to Tibetan Buddhism.
DO NOT read this if you want an intro to Buddhism.
This is a scholastic introduction and in particular, to Tibetan.
Tibetan Buddhism comes with tons of myths and cultural baggage.
But I still love it. Not sure why.
The Dalai Lama is my favorite Buddhist author.
Majormarmot
Apr 10, 2008 Majormarmot rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History lovers
Recommended to Majormarmot by: I found it by accident
Shelves: filosofia
Un excelente libro para aprender sobre historia y cultura Tibetana, la historia enfocada a eventos religiosos obviamente. Lamentablemente el tema del budismo se ve de una forma muy superficial, enfocándose en la tradición tibetana sobre la filosofía en si,

En vez de citar sutras o analizar el darma, como hacen la mayoría de los libros budistas, John Powers analiza en forma objetiva los rituales y costumbres de las 4 principales escuelas budistas en Tibet, incluyendo una sección completa sobre el
A.B. McFarland
Oct 28, 2013 A.B. McFarland rated it it was amazing
I thought this 400+ page tome would be a total snooze, but it was extremely fascinating. Everything from butter sculptures, to bas-ass buddhas like Padmasambhava, it's all here and more. There's even a chapter on Bön. I was especially happy to read the descriptions of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism (Guleg, Sakya, Nyigma and Kagyu) because I'd always puzzled about what the differences between them might be. HIghly recommended for anyone with an interest in this topic.
Nusaybah
Sep 08, 2008 Nusaybah rated it really liked it
I bumped into a Japanese woman at a Tibetan Buddhist community center several years ago who asked me to housesit for her for three weeks. In addition to mentioning that Tibetan Buddhism is a highly scholastic spiritual path, she told me to read anything I wanted to out of her library and highly recommended this book. This text discusses the origin and history of the four major lineages (or schools) of this particular spiritual path.
Jan 10, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and informative book that provides background for the history, culture and varieties of Tibetan Buddhism. I'd recommend for readers who already have general, practical knowledge of Tibetan Buddhist teachings, otherwise some parts of this book might lack context.
Nick Mather
A very nice introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. This would be great for an undergraduate course or for anyone who is interested in the religion. It is nicely written with solid research and an excellent bibliography, but yet also very easy to read.
Danie
Oct 01, 2012 Danie rated it it was amazing
An amazing look into the history of Buddhism, followed by an indepth look at the Tibetan Buddhist schools. Invaluable for a beginning practitioner, or anyone who would like to know more about Tibetan Buddhist history, culture, and ritual.
Tom
Jul 18, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Informative, but could have been better edited and the writing could have been more polished.
Chris Lemig
Jun 08, 2009 Chris Lemig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough and readable introduction.
Enrico Guala
Dec 14, 2014 Enrico Guala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bello e completo...
Joshua
Sep 22, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it
Beautiful!
Pamela
Pamela added it
Jun 20, 2016
En Vy
En Vy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Piyali Mukherjee
Piyali Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Antonella
Antonella marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Helena Weltschmerz
Helena Weltschmerz marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Jacqueline M Chinnery
Jacqueline M Chinnery marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
David Pérez
David Pérez marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
David Garbacz
David Garbacz rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Sujan Dey
Sujan Dey marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Eddie
Eddie rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Ivana
Ivana marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Ankush Garg
Ankush Garg marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Kar
Kar rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
MissCRPW
MissCRPW marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Aaron Downey
Aaron Downey marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Ronak
Ronak marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Kristian
Kristian marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet Since 1947
  • The Foundations of Buddhism
  • The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra
  • In Exile from the Land of Snows: The Definitive Account of the Dalai Lama and Tibet Since the Chinese Conquest
  • The Path Is the Goal
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher