Start by marking “Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism

Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For a comprehensive and eminently comprehensible overview of Tibetan Buddhism, look to Power's substantial Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism.Booklist
Published January 1st 1995 by Snow Lion Publications

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism

Michele
Ommmm, I want to immerse myself in the robed peace of the Tibetan monks. Here's a paraphrased excerpt from the Introduction of this book: A lotus is born in the muck and mud at the bottom of a swamp, but when it emerges on the surface of the water and opens its petals, a beautiful flower appears, unstained by the mud from which it arose.
Similarly, genuine compassion arises from the muck of the ordinary world, which is characterized by fighting, hatred, distrust, anxiety, and other negative emot
John
John Powers's Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism meets a genuine need in providing nonspecialist students of religion or Asian studies with an overview of this distinctive form of Buddhist belief and practice. In clear and readable language, the book mostly achieves its stated goal of being "a systematic and wonderfully clear presentation of Tibetan Buddhist views and practices."

Powers begins with a survey of Buddhist history and doctrine, with a focus on Mahāyāna philosophy. This whole opening s
Sabio
I loved this book, but I am partial to Tibetan Buddhism.
DO NOT read this if you want an intro to Buddhism.
This is a scholastic introduction and in particular, to Tibetan.
Tibetan Buddhism comes with tons of myths and cultural baggage.
But I still love it. Not sure why.
The Dalai Lama is my favorite Buddhist author.
Majormarmot
Apr 10, 2008 Majormarmot rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History lovers
Recommended to Majormarmot by: I found it by accident
Shelves: filosofia
Un excelente libro para aprender sobre historia y cultura Tibetana, la historia enfocada a eventos religiosos obviamente. Lamentablemente el tema del budismo se ve de una forma muy superficial, enfocándose en la tradición tibetana sobre la filosofía en si,

En vez de citar sutras o analizar el darma, como hacen la mayoría de los libros budistas, John Powers analiza en forma objetiva los rituales y costumbres de las 4 principales escuelas budistas en Tibet, incluyendo una sección completa sobre el
A.B. McFarland
I thought this 400+ page tome would be a total snooze, but it was extremely fascinating. Everything from butter sculptures, to bas-ass buddhas like Padmasambhava, it's all here and more. There's even a chapter on Bön. I was especially happy to read the descriptions of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism (Guleg, Sakya, Nyigma and Kagyu) because I'd always puzzled about what the differences between them might be. HIghly recommended for anyone with an interest in this topic.
Nusaybah
I bumped into a Japanese woman at a Tibetan Buddhist community center several years ago who asked me to housesit for her for three weeks. In addition to mentioning that Tibetan Buddhism is a highly scholastic spiritual path, she told me to read anything I wanted to out of her library and highly recommended this book. This text discusses the origin and history of the four major lineages (or schools) of this particular spiritual path.
Sarah K
A fascinating and informative book that provides background for the history, culture and varieties of Tibetan Buddhism. I'd recommend for readers who already have general, practical knowledge of Tibetan Buddhist teachings, otherwise some parts of this book might lack context.
Nick Mather
A very nice introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. This would be great for an undergraduate course or for anyone who is interested in the religion. It is nicely written with solid research and an excellent bibliography, but yet also very easy to read.
Danie
An amazing look into the history of Buddhism, followed by an indepth look at the Tibetan Buddhist schools. Invaluable for a beginning practitioner, or anyone who would like to know more about Tibetan Buddhist history, culture, and ritual.
Tom
Pretty good. Informative, but could have been better edited and the writing could have been more polished.
Chris Lemig
Very thorough and readable introduction.
Joshua
Beautiful!
Charlotte Moore
Charlotte Moore marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Coolchoc
Coolchoc marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Kelly Thompson
Kelly Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Cammie Tutwiler
Cammie Tutwiler marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
két con
két con marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Sam Padman
Sam Padman marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Ravyn
Ravyn marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet Since 1947
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • The Buddhist Catechism
  • Buddhism: A Concise Introduction
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • In Exile from the Land of Snows: The Definitive Account of the Dalai Lama and Tibet Since the Chinese Conquest
  • The Foundations of Buddhism
  • Not For Happiness: A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practices
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living
  • Vivekananda: A Biography
  • The Path Is the Goal
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
A Concise Introduction To Tibetan Buddhism Sore Winners: And the Rest of Us in George Bush's America Fenway Park: A Salute to the Coolest, Cruelest, Longest-Running Major League Baseball Stadium in America The Boston Dictionary A Bull of a Man: Images of Masculinity, Sex, and the Body in Indian Buddhism