Start by marking “The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine” as Want to Read:
The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine

The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine

A large portion of the nation grinds to a halt every afternoon to tune into the Oprah Winfrey Show -- which continues today, as the most successful show of it's kind. Her show and her opinions affect the world over. The mere mention of a book club selection sends an obscure first novel rocketing to the top of best-seller lists everywhere. Millions of Americans watch breath ...more
Audio, Abridged, 2 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by Soundelux Audio Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Maiden King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maiden King

Tristy
Sep 15, 2011 Tristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women, therapy, myth, scavenged
I really wanted to like this. I'm a huge fan of Marion Woodman (why isn't she listed as co-author, Goodreads?) and Robert Bly is certainly a brilliant and interesting man. But there is so much wrong with this book. It's based on a workshop they co-facilitated together to bring the genders "back in touch with each other." Yet, they split the book up - with Bly writing the first half and Woodman finishing it. Bly's writing is dry, stilted and boring (surprising!) and Woodman's writing, while havin ...more
James M. Madsen, M.D.
This book is actually based on a workshop conducted jointly by eminent authors Robert Bly and Marion Woodman, and their humanity and expressiveness come across even more effectively in the filmed version (which I have seen but unfortunately no longer have) of the workshop. Bly and Woodman are famous for their interests in the men's and women's movements in psychology, and this workshop focuses on possible interpretations, from each point of view and from a Jungian background, of the folk tale "T ...more
Pauline Esson
Oct 07, 2013 Pauline Esson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much wisdom in this book and so much that I don't understand...so much mystery...maybe best not trying to understand that.

I'm going to trust that what I've got from it in this first read is what I've got the capacity for now and the same the next time and next after that.

It was first published in the UK in 1999 and it seems to me that as I read it now in 2013 in so many ways we're no further forward in the reunion of masculine and feminine as we were then, but maybe that's my projected curren
Wendy
Mar 12, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I wish I could split my review in half in the same manner that the book is split in half by the two authors. I would give Bly two stars and Woodman five. Her interpretations of the masculine and feminine energies that we all possess (as explained through the dissemination of a Russian folktale) are fascinating. And her marvelously poetic Jungian language is mesmerizing.
Rachael
Nov 08, 2013 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly preceptive interpretation of this Fairy Tale by Woodman. So very helpful and very healing. Helps exquisitely show the deep pain of the masculine and feminine and that struggle we have until these two archetypes come into union and their contents can be brought to light.
Hella
Interessante discussie tussen twee (archetypische) psychologen over wat nu 'vrouwelijk' of 'mannelijk' is. En dat de held van zijn 'mannelijkheid' moet worden gered. Voor mij interessant vanwege Heldinne's Reis.
AJ Paris
Jan 15, 2009 AJ Paris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I really loved Robert Bly's portion of the book, but couldn't get through Marion W's portion. No matter--Bly's portion is so brilliant, it's worth it. Really a must read for every writer I think.
Early
I have met both Robert Bly and Marion Woodman in intimate workshop settings. This was before he wrote Iron John and was primarily a poet and performance artist. Marion Woodman is one of my favorite writers, and she is a delightful person.
Hope to purchase this and read soon.
Maureen Rue
May 23, 2012 Maureen Rue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Interesting reading the interpretation of the Russian folk tale from two perspectives. Of course, I enjoyed the woman's perspective more!
Lia
The concept of this book is great, especially with the dual authorship. I tried reading it a couple of times and found some of it fascinating, but ultimately, I didn't get drawn in. Pity.
Jean E.
Jean E. rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Heda Piiriste
Heda Piiriste rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Jody
Jody rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Clarktroll
Clarktroll rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Stephen Gerringer
Stephen Gerringer rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Kevin Orth
Kevin Orth rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2013
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
May 01, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2009
Monique
Monique rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Rain Martin
Unspeakably brilliant!
Adam Howard
Adam Howard rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2011
Monique
Monique rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2014
Ben Tilton
Ben Tilton rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Selena Kitt
Selena Kitt rated it really liked it
May 13, 2010
Earon S.
Earon S. rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008
Marko
Marko rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Maryjo
Maryjo rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • The Fisher King and the Handless Maiden: Understanding the Wounded Feeling Function in Masculine and Feminine Psychology
  • The Stormy Search for the Self
  • Nature, Man and Woman
  • Art As Medicine: Creating a Therapy of the Imagination
  • Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
Robert Bly is an American poet, author, activist and leader of the Mythopoetic Men's Movement.
More about Robert Bly...