Learning Perl

Learning Perl

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  816 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Want to learn Perl? Any Perlmonger will tell you where to start -- with the Llama book, Learning Perl. Now s the time: It s just been thoroughly updated for Perl 5.8 and reorganized to be even more effective at teaching Perl novices.

No introductory guide can cover all of Perl, but Learning Perl cover all you need to get seriously productive: s

Paperback, 5th Edition, 352 pages
Published July 4th 2008 by O'Reilly Media (first published July 14th 1993)

Manny
There's this old geek joke where you compare programming languages and cars (Assembler would be a Formula 1 racer, LISP would be an electric car, etc). Here's Perl:

[image error]
Nick Black
read this back at CNN in 1999. i've refused to read or write perl since then, and it's done me nothing but good.
James Swenson
This is the way to start writing Perl: quick and painless.

Start on page one, where the authors mention that they "enjoyed writing it," with the following footnote:

Now, if you're wondering how we can say that we've enjoyed writing it (in the past tense) when we're still on the first page, that's easy: we started at the end, and worked our way backwards. It sounds like a strange way to do it, we know. But, honestly, once we finished writing the index, the rest was hardly any trouble at all.
Kent Frazier
Jul 23, 2007 Kent Frazier rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning programmers
This was my first real programming book (not counting others that I bought but never got far enough it to really make a difference). I felt that it was a really good introduction to programming, as well as a fairly good introduction to Perl. It is certainly not the most comprehensive book on the subject, but the simple but effective description and the exercises at the end of each chapter did a lot to help me grasp programming principles and reinforce them. The book was short enough that I read...more
James
In the quest to broaden my technical skills (or 'layoff insurance' as I like to call it), I've opted to learn programming. With IT Support rapidly becoming so automated and out-sourced, it seems to me that my current job will one day be replaced by a robot (in India, likely).

So one of my Unix admin co-workers has been extolling Perl, and I opted to pick up what appears to be the beginner's volume published by O'Reilly (my favorite tech publisher). I'm slowly working through it--it didn't take lo...more
Dave Peticolas

This book was my first introduction to Perl and I can say it made my initial foray much easier. I haven't picked it up since, but I'm glad I had it in the beginning.

Alexander Karelas
It was funny, easy, fun to read, and overall a good introduction to Perl.
Kevin Connery
I read this when the first edition came out, but have been away from the language for a while, and picking it up piecemeal was getting old. It’s vastly improved over the earlier version(s), which were pretty good to begin with. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn about Perl. (Yes, there are a zillion of online tutorials, but this covers a lot more breadth.)
michael
I recommend reading this book for entertainment and never writing a line of perl. The language is more backwards and silly than even VB (which is saying a helluva lot), but the three writers work through its vulgarities well enough to nearly convince the reader that it's actually worth learning. Don't be fooled by their wiles: perl is a mischievous mistress.
Hilary
This is *the* Perl book. If you only read one, this should be it. The text explains concepts well, and the end-of-chapter exercises are designed to reinforce what you've just learned, integrating with anything you learned earlier, and also to stretch your imagination. You don't need any prior programming knowledge to find this a useful resource.
Rob
Good book for foundations, I would say... My review wouldn't be a particularly fair one because I didn't get too far with this. As quickly as my need to learn Perl arose, it diminished and disappeared. That said, should that need come back, I believe that this is book where I would re-start.
Mohasin
If you want to learn Perl, then this book should be your starting point. The book has a humorous and example-based learning approach. You will see more footnotes than anyother book. The footnotes are worth reading with lot of insights on why things are the way they are.
Gustavo Chaves
My note at the time I read it: "Basic. Horrible language." :-)
Alexandru
I've actually read this in russian. It was one of the first books of programming I've read. I remember having a lot of fun when reading it. This was definitely the right book for me at the time. Now I would recommend learning other languages such as Python or Ruby.
Kelly
Totally learning old school PERL for some stuff at work. This text confirms many of the stereotypes that I have of PERL users. The foreword is a hilarious discussion of PERL wizardry which reminds me why I never learned PERL of my own volition. HAHAHA
Amit Saurav
Excellently written book. At first I thought this book was full of chit-chat with so many footnotes but by the end of it, it helped me really understand the basics of Perl. Totally recommend it for anyone who is thinking about "learning perl".
carl  theaker

This was an add on text for a Perl class. Seems like I've
taken more than one version of this class, in person, online,
they're everywhere.
Contains various perls of wisdom you should need for this
language.
Nathan
Jul 13, 2013 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any UNIX/Linux system Administrator
As a UNIX administrator with no Perl experience this was invaluable to me. Since I read it all the way through, I've found it very useful as a reference. Its a definite must for anybody wanting (or needing) to learn Perl.
Alpha
Perl may not be a perfect language, while this book is a great introduction to Perl.

It's comprehensive but compact, outlined well too.

The authors demonstrated their deep understanding of Perl with sense of humor.
Michael Economy
I read 3/4 of this book straight though. It's a very well writting programming book. I've only used perl like 3 times in my whole life and have written maybe 2 lines ever though, so maybe this book scared me straight?
Brad Wolfe
This is, hands down, the best book for learning Perl. I have kept a copy of this book near my desk for the past 7+ years, and loan it out to anyone who is interested in learning more about scripting in Perl.
Kenn Lau
Very hard to read this book from cover to cover. Good book to keep around for reference purposes. This author goes in-depth with Perl. Highly recommend it for Perl Ninjas out there.
Ajitabh Pandey
Once of the excellent books on perl if you wanted to learn this language.

The edition I read was a bit dated, so buy the latest edition if you have decided to learn the language.
Mike
I loved this book!! While I learned C++ in school as my first language, Perl and specifically this book inspired my love of development and shaped my future career path.
Rebekah
I probably read this about seven (??) years ago. It was not my first Perl book but it is one that I would continue to reference as I learned the basics.
Lesli
Totally worth the price and the time it takes to learn. I know I will go back to this over and over if I'm trying to write any Perl scripts.
Tony
This is my first book on Perl. I think it is pretty easy to follow, and delivers clearly the basics of Perl. I'd love to recommend it to beginners.
Sushil Kumar
It's a great book for all those who want's a swift start to Perl. It's the best book you could have to start learning the awesome language.
Brie Carranza
Oct 11, 2012 Brie Carranza is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It's the llama book. You know what it is. It's hard to force myself to learn Perl because I can just get things done in Bash.
Plamen
The book is good but the language is not. Cpan is full with abandoned buggy libraries. I quit using Perl and shifted to Python.
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Learning GNU Emacs
  • UNIX System Administration Handbook
  • Advanced Programming in the Unix (R) Environment

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Intermediate Perl Learning Perl Objects, References, and Modules Programming Perl Learning Perl on WIN32 Systems Learning Perl