Start by marking “Song and Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan” as Want to Read:
Song and Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan

Song and Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Michael Gray's 'Song and Dance Man III', on Bob Dylan's life and work, offers studies of Dylan's' entire oeuvre, and the ever-popular album-by-album guide has also been extensively updated and extended.
Published October 21st 2002 by Continuum (first published January 28th 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Song and Dance Man III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song and Dance Man III

Greg
The first seven chapters of this edition are the original edition (first published 1972). I read the 1981 edition with photos, which I enjoyed back in 1981. There are thirteen additional chapters in Song and Dance Man III, four times the size of the original.
I'm putting aside this expanded edition to resume sometime later. I have a few books I want to concentrate on at the moment. It's not the right time or headspace at present for me.

Michael Gray is obviously knowledgeable. I think this book m
Steven
Clinton Heylin is your go-to guy for biographical data on Bob Dylan, but this is the book to read (and re- re- re-read) for thoughtful, thoroughly researched analysis of the roots of his multifaceted artistry. Without indulging in the free-associative hocus-pocus of Greil Marcus, or the fanboy gushing of Paul Williams, Gray delves into Dylan's use of blues forms, Biblical allusions, and even nursery rhymes. Whole chapters here could be published as books in their own right. Gray also avoids the ...more
Skylar Burris
This book offers a careful analysis of Bob Dylan's work and influences, both literary and musical. It's Bob Dylan for lit majors, basically, so naturally I found much to appreciate. On the downside, I would have appreciated it if the author didn't use the footnotes for his political rants, and I think his anti-Evangelical prejudice makes it difficult for him to fairly or deeply analyze the songs from Slow Train, Saved, and Shot of Love. He dismisses "Are You Ready?" because it is more shallow th ...more
J.M.
This is the first book I came across that treated Dylan's songs the way a literary scholar would. For someone like me whose life has been changed in many ways by Bob's work, Michael Gray's book was a ceaseless source of interest. I came away from it with a new realization that Robert Zimmerman of Hibbing had a scholar's brain, that during his teen years he rapidly stored up so much arcane knowledge about American folk and blues music that he was able to harness that knowledge to his own creativi ...more
Philip
Mar 18, 2008 Philip rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Dylan fans
Shelves: dylan, music, criticism
Extended, passionate and persuasive analysis of how Dylan's music and lyrics owe more than one might think not just to folk music but to southern American blues. Many incisive and thoughtful discussions of particular songs.
Eric
Aug 25, 2014 Eric added it
900 pages = TMI
Brad
Looking for an obsessive analysis of Dylan's work? Look no further. Curl up with your collection of box sets and bootlegs and get to work.
Corey Preston
sort of dense, very pretentious, but endlessly fascinating.
Elizabeth
m. & i read this one together
Adib vahdani
great as bob himself?
Boney Gumbo
Boney Gumbo marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Joe Pettit Jr.
Joe Pettit Jr. marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
michael
michael is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2014
Bart
Bart added it
Nov 15, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Fiona
Fiona added it
Aug 06, 2014
Yuri
Yuri marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michael Gray is a critic, writer, public speaker & broadcaster recognised as a world authority on the work of Bob Dylan, and as an expert on rock’n’roll history. He also has a special interest in pre-war blues, and in travel.

He grew up near Liverpool, England, went to the Cavern, and graduated from the University of York with a BA in History & English in 1967, having interviewed (as a stud
More about Michael Gray...
The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia Mother!: The Frank Zappa Story Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes: In Search of Blind Willie McTell The Art of Bob Dylan: Song & Dance Man Shadowcastle (Fantasy Forest, #3)