Start by marking “Glory Days: Bruce Springsteen in the 1980s” as Want to Read:
Glory Days: Bruce Springsteen in the 1980s

Glory Days: Bruce Springsteen in the 1980s

How did critically acclaimed rocker Bruce Springsteen achieve icon status in the 1980s? Filled with candid comments from Springsteen, a behind-the-scenes perspective, and perceptive commentary, Glory Days chronicles both Bossmania and the context in which it blossomed. 63 photos.
Published May 1st 1996 by Thunder's Mouth Press (first published December 31st 1987)

Thomas DeWolf
Sep 16, 2012 Thomas DeWolf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
When I finished reading Dave Marsh's first book about Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run, I immediately dove into Glory Days. The first book covered Bruce's life, music, and touring career from its beginning through 1975 and the Born to Run album. This one takes us forward through 1986, Born in the USA and Live 1975-85.

I seek inspiration from Springsteen as an artist. He is a rock & roller. I'm an author. What we have in common has little to do with the size of our respective audiences, and ever
Bret Quinn
May 01, 2014 Bret Quinn rated it really liked it
Marsh barely restrains himself from toppling into blathering fandom in this account of Springsteen's 80s heyday. (Qualifier: Marsh's wife works for Springsteen as a publicist, so the positive tone in this book is to be expected.) For the most part, it's a page-turner, packed full of insider info for fans interested in Bruce's early years. Most fascinating is the account of the recording of "Nebraska," Springsteen's harrowing 1983 acoustic masterpiece recorded on a portable 4-track tape machine i ...more
Michael
Feb 17, 2017 Michael rated it liked it
Dave Marsh is a brilliant music writer. This is an older book that my friend Laurencia gave to me before she left town. The book covers Bruce's career from about 1983 thru the end of the decade, and the live album. This period showed a huge growth in Bruce's music and his political understanding, especially the neglect of Vietnam veterans, the homeless, and hunger in the USA. It shows how Bruce dived into these issues to truly understand the root causes, and what can be done to help. He got to k ...more
Steve Peifer
Feb 18, 2017 Steve Peifer rated it it was ok
A perfect post surgery book with writing so amazingly awful at times: 'It starts with a sound sharp and cruel as the first slap on a baby's fanny' and so drunk on Boss Kool-Aid that you swear if Bruce farted on stage, Marsh could do 20 pages on why it was full of artistic integrity. Bruce would give $10,000 to a charity on a show that grossed TWO MILLION and we get a chapter on how wonderful he was. I love Bruce but this is so over the top that even a fan has to shake his head. Hint: it probably ...more
Erin
Jun 15, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars, not because it's a perfect book, but because I found it very moving and I think it'll stay with me. I'm not sure someone who isn't already a Bruce/E Street Band fan would feel the same way, but Dave Marsh certainly knows how to paint a picture, and he also knows when to stand back and let his subject paint one.

Maybe it was a little too uncritical, but it was a lovely book.
Alex Kaufman
Aug 18, 2012 Alex Kaufman rated it it was ok
Dave Marsh is too big a fan to actually treat the subject matter with any true perspective. That said, it was entertaining to read about Bruce in the 1980s considering that I lived it, slept out for tickets, covered the walls of my room with a dozen or more promotional posters, etc.
Lisa Michele
Nov 14, 2009 Lisa Michele rated it liked it
Read it for the subject matter, of course, because I idolize Bruce. Also trust Dave Marsh because of his long term interest in rock and roll. Have to read all the Bruce bios though.
Jose Manuel Vera
Jan 04, 2015 Jose Manuel Vera rated it it was amazing
Leido en la versión en castellano editada por Ultramar. Excelente crónica sobre todo de las giras por grandes estadios, cuando Bruce se convierte en leyenda de masas.
Carol Storm
Mar 09, 2011 Carol Storm rated it did not like it
Marsh writes best on his knees -- and he swallows!
Brian
Nov 05, 2007 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
read in high school, told me what i needed to know, i guess
Jeff Cadoff
Sep 22, 2012 Jeff Cadoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative look into the Boss' life during the '80s. Must read for any fan.
Sean Keefe
Sep 29, 2016 Sean Keefe rated it it was amazing
Still the definitive biography of Bruce at that point in time
Thomas Mchale
Apr 07, 2010 Thomas Mchale rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the music, you will love the book.
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2010
Bill
Bill rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2012
Rkf Felps
Rkf Felps rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2007
Barry Gale
Barry Gale rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Padraic
Padraic rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Rodney Welch
Rodney Welch rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Steve Majerus-Collins
Steve Majerus-Collins rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2017
Morris Massre
Morris Massre rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2011
Nick Cozza
Nick Cozza rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Fidel Rillo
Fidel Rillo rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2007
James Casey
James Casey rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Luca Ganzaroli
Luca Ganzaroli rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Cherie Beauton
Cherie Beauton rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2013