Start by marking “A Vow To Cherish (A Vow To Cherish, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Vow To Cherish (A Vow To Cherish, #1)

A Vow To Cherish (A Vow to Cherish #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

The award-winning classic novel turned bestselling movie by beloved author Deborah Raney

When his precious wife of thirty years received a devastating diagnosis, John Brighton's world fell apart. As his wife slipped from him day by day, his love was tested as never before, and he found himself confronted by a weakness he never knew he had. A confidante desperately needed

Published June 1st 2006 by Steeple Hill (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Vow To Cherish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vow To Cherish

Danette
Aug 31, 2008 Danette rated it liked it
I balled through the first half of the book as I am living a similar story with my mom who has Alzeheimers. I didn't think the book was particularly well crafted, but I really appreciated that the right/moral choice was made and that we see the benefit of that choice.
Lindsey
Apr 01, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Mom2triplets04
Feb 23, 2015 Mom2triplets04 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-favorites
This book is about a woman who at the age of 47 becomes diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. The story is told by the husband. I cried in the middle of the book and when I read the very ending it left me in tears. Finally a book I could not put down and what an amazing love story.
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Wife of 25 years gets Alzheimer's disease, husband stays true to marriage vows despite temptation. A bit simplistic but overall a good story.
Saskia
May 21, 2012 Saskia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wat een prachtig mooi emotioneel boek is dit zeg! Ik heb m in een kleine drie dagen uitgelezen dus dat zegt wel wat. De ziekte van Alzheimer word erg goed beschreven vind ik en je leeft helemaal mee met John wiens vrouw op nog geen 50-jarige leeftijd de diagnose Alzheimer krijgt. Dit is een prachtige christelijke roman maar de christelijke stukjes in het boek overheersen niet zoals bij sommige boeken van Karen Kingsbury wel het geval is. Het eind word vergeleken bij de rest van het boek wel wat ...more
BETTY KELLEY
Dec 06, 2015 BETTY KELLEY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This is the first book I have read by this author I truly loved it.I will read more by her.
Emelda
Nov 07, 2014 Emelda rated it really liked it
Very touching and explains in detail that you understand every character in the story felt. It is very moving story. Very real.
Lisa
Dec 10, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
This book would be good for someone who has had a family member with Alzheimer's. The description of the disease and the strain it puts on a family were very accurate. The story line was somewhat dull for me. New characters were introduced in weird spots, and the transitions did not flow very well. The only good part was the insight into Alzheimer's disease and how a family might react to the diagnosis.
Rita
Jun 11, 2011 Rita rated it it was ok
I don't usually read books like this for two reasons. First, too sad. Second, too cheesy. Although I will say, it was nice to read about people with control and integrity who turn to God in their lives.
Natasja
May 16, 2012 Natasja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een prachtige roman waarin je kan zien wat alzheimer met je kan doen,maar toch ook zeker wat doet het met je partner of familie.
Een boek met veel liefde en verdriet.
Ben benieuwd naar de film.
Dorraine
Sep 23, 2009 Dorraine rated it it was amazing
I read this book some time ago but it has stuck with me as being a powerful testament to the vow of marriage. It is a book I would recommend everyone read!
Janet
Feb 13, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
I liked it but not as well as I liked the first one I read by her. I think she does a good job of portraying true feelings and emotions!
Melissa
Jan 13, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I really liked the insight this story gave into the lives of those dealing with Alzheimer's disease and what a difficult journey that is.
Jess
Nov 28, 2007 Jess rated it really liked it
I thought it was very sweet, yet it showed the heartache and caring that families go through when a family member is ill.
Kyla
Sep 04, 2008 Kyla rated it liked it
It was a well written book that had a good lesson to it but the subject matter was kind of depressing.
Melissa Hall
Oct 02, 2013 Melissa Hall rated it really liked it
Good story....ending was kind of different, but overall a good book!
Darlene Wilson
Dec 27, 2007 Darlene Wilson rated it really liked it
Well done story of a Christian outlook on Alzheimers -- a love story!
Jan Mckinney
Dec 31, 2015 Jan Mckinney rated it it was amazing
Made me stop and appreciate my life and marriage.
Lori
Jul 21, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
A great heart-felt read about dealing with a sick family member. The love that was shown in this book toward the sick character was truly amazing. I laughed and cried with this family from the start.
K H
K H marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Trudydecockhotmail.com
Trudydecockhotmail.com marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
M.
M. rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Kme_17
Kme_17 rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Grammasnooks
Grammasnooks rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Frannie
Frannie rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Laila Hilig
Laila Hilig marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Nicole Hudgens
Nicole Hudgens marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
  • The Rancher's Reunion
  • Sunrise Song (Treasures of the Heart #4)
  • Refiners Fire Pack, #1-3 (Refiner's Fire #1-3)
  • Raw Edges (Quilts of Love #10)
  • Hammer of God
  • Protecting Her Own (Guardians, Inc., #2)
  • Winter's End
  • The Cowboy's Courtship (The Cowboy Series, #5)
  • The Protector's Promise (The Sinclair Brothers Trilogy, #2)
  • Wild Rose (Wild Rose Series #1)
  • Sweetheart Bride
  • Seeds of Evidence
  • Double Blind (Hideaway, #9) (Love Inspired Suspense)
  • Tides of Hope (Lighthouse Lane, #1)
  • Like Sweet Potato Pie (Southern Fried Sushi #2)
  • A Baby for Hannah (Hannah's Heart, #3)
  • Christmas Gifts: Small Town Christmas\Her Christmas Cowboy (The Cowboy Series, #9)
  • Love Finds You On Christmas Morning
DEBORAH RANEY's first novel, A Vow to Cherish, inspired the World Wide Pictures film of the same title. Her books have since won the RITA Award, ACFW Carol Award, HOLT Medallion, National Readers' Choice Award, Silver Angel, and have twice been Christy Award finalists. THE FACE OF THE EARTH released in May 2013 from Howard/Simon & Schuster, and SILVER BELLS released from Guideposts in October. ...more
More about Deborah Raney...

A Vow to Cherish (2 books)
  • Within This Circle ( A Vow to Cherish, #2)