Start by marking “The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted” as Want to Read:
The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted

The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The civil war in Uganda has bled on for over two decades, spilling over into Sudan and the Congo and drawing only occasional interest from the West. The rebel insurgency in the north is led by "the wizard of the Nile," Joseph Kony, whose Lord's Resistance Army is infamous both for its wish to rule Uganda according to the Ten Commandments and its unrelenting brutality.

Published August 6th 2008 by Olive Branch Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard of the Nile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard of the Nile

I went to Uganda the last two summers to work with Invisible Children. This book is a great history of the 20 year civil war that has plagued northern Uganda. I really loved how the author, Matthew Green, explored the reasons behind the war being more than just a crazy man's dream to rule Uganda. It's a great read.
I didn't buy this book, it was given to me by my university as part of the Big Read programme that's supposed to help us get into reading and interacting with the other students who've read the book. Firstly, this programme is so not for me : I'm already a bookworm and frankly this is not a book that would sparks conversation from me in the slightest. I feel a bit bad for not being able to finish it since it was nice of the university to send me a free copy but you can't help not liking a book. ...more
Chris Steeden
A riveting book by Matthew Green in his search to meet the northern Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony back in 2006 to ask him some big questions. The historical content, interviews (with ex-abductees), travelogue and dangerous situations make this a compelling read. You really do feel that you are on the journey with the author sharing the frustrations at finding this wizard or as Kony puts it 'human-being'.
This book was sent to me in the mail by my university and the letter accompanying it made sure to inform me that this book was written before the internet Kony 2012 phenomenon (why's that important? i'm not sure). While Joseph Kony is undoubtedly a rather vile individual, i fail to see how this differs from various other notorious African warlords/military leaders. This book and its contents would perhaps be more interesting to someone who lives under a rock and may potentially find the idea tha ...more
He definitely pulled it out there at the end. I never really love books written by journalists. He is a bit self-conceited and self-important. However he does link the story to the bigger forces driving Kony. I wished he had just talked more about the bigger forces and added more evidence. Easy read and easy intro for those who know little about the conflict. Those who know more will be bored.
Michael Jecks
The video about this guy is floating around now, but I read this some years ago. It's horrific to see how one man can pervert so many kids, persuade them to kill for him, and continue to rule. A vicious, cruel, brutal criminal who should have met his own specially targetted drone missile or SEALS bullet.

The book is a little like "Heart of Darkness", probably deliberately so. It's pretty compulsive reading, if only because of horror at the dreadful situation, but also because it's the sort of th
Anne-marie Coonan
It's a good review of the LRA in Northern Uganda and it does go a bit deeper than some of the analysis of Kony as a mad man. BUT it's a little dull, the central quest of the book is one journalists quest to meet Kony and I don't care about the journalist enough by the end to see if he succeeds or not. The real story of the book is the Acholi living in Northern Uganda and the book would have been better based around that.
Between a madman talking to spirits and a liberator refusing to leave power it's no wonder that Uganda can't resolve it's civil war. Green is right in his conclusion that the media portrays the men as something they aren't. Both have dug a hole so deep they don't know how to get out of it. It's a shame such a beautiful country is been held hostage by 2 men unwilling to maintain peace.
This wasn't a brilliant book, and it was hard to warm up to the author. But it did keep my interest, and I definitely learned a lot more about Joseph Kony, the LRA and the circumstances in northern Uganda that have spawned this war and keep it going. Nothing is simple.
Getting up close to the situation in northern Uganda - and why perhaps Museveni doesnt want to end it - how Sudan is involved - and how difficult it is to piece everything together. Very interesting read - including some eye-openers. ...more
Despite the subject matter, which promised to be highly interesting and informative, I found this book strangely uncompelling. Africa is such a mess, and I’m interested as to why, but the answers aren’t really to be found in this book.
Niels Broerse
Na een aantal dagen twijfelen besloten toch het boek niet verder uit te lezen. Het boek is min of meer een dagboek, een groot reisverslag als het ware. Jammer, ik had hier veel van verwacht.
Author strikes me as more focused in writing about his experience than the more interesting characters he encounters in his pursuit of a press conference with Joseph Kony.
Richard Tait

Loved this book. Very informative about a part of the world, and atrocities within, which are not well exposed in the UK (IMO).
Sam Beer
The tone was a little bit off-putting at times, but on the balance I thought that it was an interesting read for what it was.
May 29, 2012 Benjamin is currently reading it
One of the most complete accounts of the origins and events surrounding Kony and the LRA, a very good read.
Alisa Wheeler
Fascinating story of one mans journey traveling around central Africa investigating the LRA and Joseph Kony.
Cat Mckaig
Really enjoyed this balanced view of Kony-- amidst the politics of Sudan and Uganda
A Must Read When It comes to the conflict in Northern Uganda
Evgeni Veskov
Jan 07, 2012 Evgeni Veskov is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Стила е скучен журналистически, разпокъсан, скучна за четене.
Pam Ela
I wonder why he had to meet Kony

a must read!
Andreia marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Summer Child
Summer Child marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Lieselot Hanssens
Lieselot Hanssens is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2015
Travis Smith
Travis Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • It's Our Turn to Eat
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • Napoleon in Egypt
  • Bamboo Palace: Discovering the Lost Dynasty of Laos
  • First Kill Your Family: Child Soldiers of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army
  • The Outline of History
  • Farewell The Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat
  • White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties
  • "Have You Seen...?": A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films
  • Cambodia: Year Zero
The Spleen. an Epistle Inscribed to His Particular Friend Mr. C.J. by the Late Mr. Matthew Green, ... the Second Edition, Corrected The poetical works of Armstrong, Dyer and Green, with memoirs and critical dissertations by G. Gilfillan The Works of the English Poets, From Chaucer to Cowper; Vol. XV (E-Book)